So I'm looking at the Emi Deltalite 2512 (12") speakers to put in my 2x12". I'm trying to make a cab that is suitable for both guitar and bass use, so I don't have to keep two different cabs in the bedroom.

I looked at the Emi Delta 12 Pro (clone of the EVM12L) at first, since it's also suitable for said applications and I like it's tone for distorted guitars. The Deltalite has a lower resonant frequency though, so it should be better for bass, but it also has more of a mid-spike, much like regular guitar-speakers (not as pronounced though).

Here's the frequency-plots, with an Emi Governor thrown in for comparison:

http://www.eminence.com/curves/curves.php?model=DeltaliteII_2512&KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=420&width=580

http://www.eminence.com/curves/curves.php?model=Delta_Pro_12A&KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=420&width=580

http://www.eminence.com/curves/curves.php?model=Governor&KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=420&width=580

What I am noticing comparing the Deltalite with purpose-built guitar speakers like the Governor, is that the two spikes somewhere between 2 and 4kHz aren't very big with the Deltalite, but at slightly higher fequencies. Does that have much of a meaning? I don't want fizzy sounding upper-mid-distortion like with my 2x15" cab or with fullrange systems.

Another thing is the increase of response above 6kHz. Will this be noticable or is it too little compared to what's happening below 4kHz to matter?

The Deltalite has been recommended by Eminence for what I'm trying to do (they're nice and respond to emails quickly, btw), but reviews on the internet are 1) hard to find and 2) mixed. Any ideas?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Just buy bass speakers. They sound great when used with guitar because they have the same range as guitar speakers plus the low range of bass guitars.

Eh, the speakers in my Laney 2x15" beg to differ. They have a really ugly mid/treble-spike that makes cleans overly bright and distortion really fizzy.
The Deltalite is a commonly used for bass anyway, so who knows.

And I bought a pair right after my last post. Ebay and all. They should be here within two weeks, I'll see how it all works out.
have you tried this? I want to make a cab suitable for guitar and bass as well, but I was thinking about putting both a bass and guitar driver in there with a two-way crossover to separate the highs and lows.
Last edited by Ryzekiel at May 29, 2011,
Quote by Ryzekiel
have you tried this? I want to make a cab suitable for guitar and bass as well, but I was thinking about putting both a bass and guitar driver in there with a two-way crossover to separate the highs and lows.

i have kinda tried it with G12K-85's. works alright.

the crossover idea won't work all that great for a number of reasons but it gets into complexity of audio signals (harmonics) and how close the frequencies are on bass and guitar (for example, the 1st harmonic of the lowest fundamental on a standard tuned bass is the same frequency as the fundamental of the lowest note on guitar).

the real difference between guitar and bass speakers is stiffness/thickness of components and it's effects on properties like CMS, VAS, Qts, etc

Quote by PhilStarr
To sum up, speakers are optimized for different uses and to match particular cabs. The most important thing is their sound and for everything except the bass you need to see a frequency plot. Better still is to listen to them. For the bass you need to know their resonant frequency and their Q. Big magnets give low Q and extended clean and fast bass, small magnets give warm bass but can be woolly and you wouldn’t choose them for ultimate bass, great for guitar though. Have a good look at the speakers efficiency, 96 dB/W is good for bass and anything of 99dB/W or over good for guitar. For bass or PA you’ll need Xmax to be high (4mm or over) or you will run out of bass at high power levels.

Finally to calculate cabinet sizes you’ll need Vas, Qts and fs figures (Qes and Xmax will be useful for some design programs).

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/choosing_speakers_to_drive_your_cabs.html

that is from a Phil Starr article that i linked below. good info if you care to learn more.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
What sixe cab will you be making for them. Remember you wont be able to get away with putting them in a guitar cab or any cab you already have.

The delta's are fairly good speakers aswell. Also i would never have mixed a guitar speaker and bass speaker in a cab together. The guitar speaker would have broken fairly quickly.

Could you not just have got two sperate 1x12 cabs that a re light to transport. One for bass, one for guitar.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Ryzekiel

I've done it, the results are kinda mixed. The cab I used is just a standard 2x12" closed cab (no ports or anything) intended for guitar.

At low volumes, the cab works very well for all kinds of distorted tones, but sounds a bit muffled clean. It has lots of low-end and note-definition is the best I've ever had. It makes the amp sound huge and eliminates my amp's usual upper-mid/treble spike. I imagine this could be problematic with amps that already have a rather dark sound with other speakers. My strat with a tubescreamer in front of the amp sounds like a humbucker-guitar. No joke.

At loud volumes, the muffled-cleans problem gets worse, though it's fine for jazzy stuff. Overdriven tones become very harsh and abrassive very easily, single-coils are practically not usable anymore. Humbuckers yield better results, but I need to do some more experiments and the cab's not at my home at the moment, so that'll have to wait. Maybe all it needs is some tweaking, but I think all hope is lost as far as cleans go.

The cab works better for bass, I even prefer it to my ported 2x15", which is a dedicated bass-cab (albeit not a great one). I've never had to turn it up really loud (stage volume), but it sounds fine for band rehearsal. I bet if the cab was ported or at least a bit bigger, it'd be excellent for stage-use.