So, I just came back from a gig I played with a friend of mine, which went alright and after us came a young band (average age was around 14) and they did a very sloppy rendition of Killing in the Name, but at the solo, this guitarist pulled out his 'trick-bag' and started spazzing his right arm and hitting everything. Sure it looked flashy and quick, but it was nothing more than a fast flurry of noise. Upon coming home I tried spazzing my right arm like an idiot and I just couldn't do it and hit the notes as well. My question here is; why the hell do people spazz their arm even when it doesn't give the desired result (unless you really WANT to be sloppy) and moreover, HOW do they do it? Is it just that I taught myself to play cleanly that I can't do it?

Cheers.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Don't.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I know I shouldn't and I don't, 'cause it's sloppy and bad. I just wondered how the f*ck one could do that. And yes 'like a death metal solo'.
He was probably tensing up his arm to the point where it vibrated. That's really bad. Tension is your enemy, since it tends to ruin muscles. Furthermore, it;s uncontrollable. Sometimes it has the desired effect, but more often than not, relying on tension is really imprecise. It's a lot better to have full control of what you're playing at all times and relying on coordination and muscle memory rather than trying to spazz your way through a solo.
Quote by Geldin
He was probably tensing up his arm to the point where it vibrated. That's really bad. Tension is your enemy, since it tends to ruin muscles. Furthermore, it;s uncontrollable. Sometimes it has the desired effect, but more often than not, relying on tension is really imprecise. It's a lot better to have full control of what you're playing at all times and relying on coordination and muscle memory rather than trying to spazz your way through a solo.

I know, and that's exactly what I said. My question is not whether it's bad or not, because I could hear it was uncontrolled, random noise (as stated in my first post). My question merely was how to do it (and this is not to imitate it, I have a very controlled playing style) and why one would want to do it.
It's obvious how you do it. You just tense up and move your arm.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by RDSElite
I know, and that's exactly what I said. My question is not whether it's bad or not, because I could hear it was uncontrolled, random noise (as stated in my first post). My question merely was how to do it (and this is not to imitate it, I have a very controlled playing style) and why one would want to do it.

yeah its bad, when you tense up you open yourself up to injury. heres a non guitar related example, take a pice of paper and have a friend hold it with one hand, now punch it, it just bends because it is still loose and relaxed, now have them hold it with both hands tightly and punch it, your hand should have gone right through, this is because the paper was made 'tense', your muscles are the same way.

and no there really is no benefit to this, or a good reason to want to do that.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Are you perhaps referring to tremolo picking?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Are you perhaps referring to tremolo picking?

Absolutely and most definitely not. I'm referring to tensing up your arm, and spazzing it up and down over all the strings, while soloing. As in unprecise, messy, sloppy soloing.
Quote by RDSElite
Absolutely and most definitely not. I'm referring to tensing up your arm, and spazzing it up and down over all the strings, while soloing. As in unprecise, messy, sloppy soloing.

Also see; Zakk Wylde. He may or may not actually be doing it, but it sure sounds like it some times.
It is nothing but tension and poor guess work.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Was this guy bald and heavily tattooed on his head? Cos it sounds an awful like Kerry King's soloing style :|
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55