Page 1 of 2
Some solid state Randalls are pretty expensive IIRC, but the closest I can think of is a DSP unit like the Axe-Fx. Then again, that's just a processor with no actual transistor power amp, so I don't think it counts anyway.
Lemme guess jazz??
ug seriously lacks some jazz musicians
anyways
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
There's plenty when talking about bass amplification (or full-range systems of course).
As for guitar, there'd be Polytone... and a preamp or two, like the Baldringer Dual Drive. The better modellers like AxeFx/Digidesign Eleven/H&K ZenTera/Line6 Vetta and probably some more that I'm forgetting also qualify I guess.

EDIT: For people living in Europe, Rath amps used to be an option. Went out of business a long time ago, but the guy behind them is making amps again under the name PCL:
http://www.pcl-vintageamp.de/

A buddy of mine has an old Rath. It fecking rules.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Apr 17, 2011,
But all modeling amps on the market are solid state amps. At least, I haven't seen anyone trying to make a digital machine using tubes since the '40s or so.
Pritchard amps
Hughes and Kettner Zentera
Line 6 Vetta, HD147
Fractal Audio Axe-FX Standard and Ultra
Retro Channel Retro Wreck (and their other products)

There's a lot more though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by TheQuailman
But all modeling amps on the market are solid state amps. At least, I haven't seen anyone trying to make a digital machine using tubes since the '40s or so.

What are hybrids then?
Quote by Robbgnarly
What are hybrids then?

Usually analog. As in, non-digital, non-modeling. Spare me the talk about Valvetronix amps.
Fine, you found a hybrid-modeller.
I thought you were implying something along the lines of making digital circuitry using tubes. Which is possible, but crazy.
Oh and another ss amp is the PRS Harmonic Generator priced around $2200 new, and that was in the '90s
Quote by TheQuailman
Fine, you found a hybrid-modeller.
I thought you were implying something along the lines of making digital circuitry using tubes. Which is possible, but crazy.

No ofcorse I wasn't just had to be a little smartA$$
Quote by Raijouta
Pritchard amps

Pritchard probably makes the finest solid-state guitar amplifiers, but they cost a bloody fortune. There are several spectacular solid-state bass amplifiers, and they are all very, very expensive. Most people don't bother with high-end solid-state guitar amps, though. They end up costing as much as the finer tube amps, so the average guitarist figures, "why bother?"

The Pritchard amps sound spectacular, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Either the ISP Thetta II head or the Roland Jazz chorus is a beast of a SS amp ive heard.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by TheQuailman

They are not true solid state amps, as in, no moldeling chip, thus, no digital signal. A true solid state acts just like any tube amp would, but doesn't use tubes as transistors.
I've only heard of the Roland Jazz Chorus and Retro Channel Amps.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by TheQuailman

So the hybrid modelers aren't tube technology...

I think the people who own Vypyr tube and Spider Valve amps.

Would be shocked to hear they don't own tube amps.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
marshall mode 4???
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Pritchard Amps are in their own league. SS, but those who own one are amazed at how tube-like they sound (and how loud they are for their size), but with a cleaner and tighter bottom end. Each one of these are hand made and hand wired... not an assembly line. I'm expecting a Black Daggar soon.
^troll bump
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Mine
LTD Viper 1000 Deluxe
Simon & Patrick CW GT Vintageburst
Egnater Vengeance
ISP Technologies Theta (for sale)
ISP Technologies Vector (for sale)
Randall RG75DG2
Maxon OD808
Boss Super Shifter PS-5
Boss Chromatic Tuner TU-3

Lab Series L5 - if it's good enough for BB King.....

Not expensive, but these are great SS amps:

- Peavey Bandit (the ultimate workhorse)
- Roland JC120 (ultra-clean jazz box)
- Ampeg VH-140C (metal monster)
- Marshall Master Lead (it's like a JCM800 practice amp)
- Tech 21 Trademark (flexible and cheap)
there are some expensive line6 amps that are 2k€+ on thomann.....
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by kyle62

Lab Series L5 - if it's good enough for BB King.....

Those were horrible. King played them because they were owned and distributed by Gibson, and it was in his endorsement contract and thus, they were free. he also liked the built-in compressor. Also, King has never been particular about his amps. For him, it is all about the guitar.

I remember the Lab Series back in 1979. My God, what a flat-sounding thing it was! Solid-state tech had a long way to go in those days. One thing about them, though: they did seem to last a long time.

In before antiquated thread is killed!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
A lot of people don't give .5 of a shit about it because of "NO T00BZ!!!" but the ISP Theta, head/preamp actually sounds better than some high-gain tube amps. Just listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBaRvuuGEFs

There's also the Dime D100, which is a just a re-branded Randall RG100es with a few extra features, but I'm not sure you can consider that as "boutique" or expensive (at this point they are overpriced).

There was also the Madison Prophecy, which can be considered as a boutique head from a smaller (now defunct) company. This one is probably the rarest heads I know of. Madison shut down a few years back. It's a shame, because they made great sounding metal amps.
If your talking top end solid state amps there is only 1. The Roland Jazz Chorus.
Nothing else even comes close. Don't waste your time with anything else.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Dec 21, 2011,
Why anyone would spend more than a few hundred bucks on something without at least a tube power section is beyond me.
Quote by FatalGear41
Those were horrible. King played them because they were owned and distributed by Gibson, and it was in his endorsement contract and thus, they were free. he also liked the built-in compressor. Also, King has never been particular about his amps. For him, it is all about the guitar.

I remember the Lab Series back in 1979. My God, what a flat-sounding thing it was! Solid-state tech had a long way to go in those days. One thing about them, though: they did seem to last a long time.

In before antiquated thread is killed!

A lot of this makes sense! With BB I suppose he literally just uses an 'amp' in the purest form; something to make the guitar louder. I've heard good things about the Lab Series amps, but I'd never bother personally. Interesting though.
Just so you guys know, this thread is ANCIENT. It's from April and some guy bumped it because he searched for Pritchard and this thread came up.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Just so you guys know, this thread is ANCIENT. It's from April and some guy bumped it because he searched for Pritchard and this thread came up.

So what? A thread doesn't become useless just because it's old. It doesn't expire like a vegetable.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
A lot of people don't give .5 of a shit about it because of "NO T00BZ!!!" but the ISP Theta, head/preamp actually sounds better than some high-gain tube amps. Just listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBaRvuuGEFs

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but that clip is most likely processed to shit. It's really hard to tell what an amp actually sounds like when it is all done up like that. I wish less people did that when "demoing" gear.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I thought we encouraged people to use the search engine? Topic is still relevant.

That link Sputnik posted sounds brilliant btw. Too bad I don't play jazz much :p

Well, I dabble in twisted time signatures. I think even the jazz gurus would be like "wtf" sometimes.

More solid state awesomeness for you all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6rZDieTWfM
Page 1 of 2