Hi guys, quick question...

I found a used Earcandy Buzzbomb 2x12 for 300 bucks...its off GC, but its literally all the way across the country. I would be getting it shipped out. So its all loaded and everything. Great deal, right?

But the thing is, is closed back, and they don't want to open it up, and they can't tell me what the speakers are. They said they are almost positive its all stock. So what speakers would be in there?

Can anyone help me out at all?

Thanks

EDIT: Just found out, 60 bucks to ship it to me. So $360 for the cab. They also said if I get it and don't like it I can return it to my GC so I don't have to pay the shipping back and get my money back.

Sound good you think?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Apr 17, 2011,
well if the return policy is good then go for it if you want an earcandy cab. they give you a choice for speakers so no telling what is actually in it.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'd get it. $360 for a Ear Candy cab? Without all the hassle of actually ordering one and getting your money stolen*? I'd say yes. They're AWESOME cabs, can't say what kind of speakers are in there though as Ear Candy has their own and people also buy them unloaded and put whatever they like in them.

edit: *If Ear Candy cleared up all the BS that was going on a year or two ago with people getting scammed then, I apologize for that comment.
Last edited by al112987 at Apr 17, 2011,
You guys are really helping me here. Thank you. Thing Is I want to have that 30 days for as long as possible, so Im gonna see if they can ship it out in like two weeks for me, that way I have time to get my head and everything.

Also, I gotta get the specs on everything, what should the OHM's be if I plan to buy a JCA20h?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I would assume 8; that's pretty much the standard. The JCA rating will be on the amp, though...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
MF says;

Output Power: 20W into 16 ohm or 2x 8 ohm speaker outputs

so 8ohms is correct?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Anyone else have an possibilities of what could be in this? Pretty sure I am going to buy it tomorrow.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Sounds like MF doesn't know what speakers are in it. It's not going to be a 20W cab with two speakers. It sounds like two 20 watt speakers at 8 ohms each for a 16 ohm load at 40 watts.
Quote by Roc8995
Sounds like MF doesn't know what speakers are in it. It's not going to be a 20W cab with two speakers. It sounds like two 20 watt speakers at 8 ohms each for a 16 ohm load at 40 watts.

Okay...meaning what? haha I don't really understand that.

Also, how difficult is it to remove the back of the cab so I can figure out what speakers are in there?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Apr 17, 2011,
Quote by Roc8995

I believe he's talking about the JCA20 that he's wanting to buy, not that cab.

TS: I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure that you need a single 16 ohm cab for the JCA20 or two 8 ohm cabs (since two 8 ohm cabs in parallel would be a 16 ohm load for the amp).

Metalhedit:

After looking at the Jet City site, its a 16 ohm amp. So you can either run a single 16 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Apr 17, 2011,
So that means the Earcandy needs to be a 16 ohm cab...? Or two 8 OHM speakers...its all really confusing to me...
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
So that means the Earcandy needs to be a 16 ohm cab...? Or two 8 OHM speakers...its all really confusing to me...

Actually I worded that wrong because I wasn't thinking (its been a while since I've posted on here on a regular basis so my brain isn't in technical mode).

You either need a single 16 ohm cab to run the 16 ohm out or you need two 16 ohm cabs run in parallel to use the two 8 ohm outs (I forget the math equation, but whenever you're running cabs in parallel they need to be double the ohms as the outputs they are plugged into because their ohms get cut in half - i.e. if you're running two 4 ohm outs in parallel you need two 8 ohm cabs, 8 ohm outs you'd need 16 ohm cabs). Either way you slice it, you need a 16 ohm load.
That stuff is confusing

I'll check with the store to see what it is and check back here.

But again I ask, how hard is the back panel to take off?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
That stuff is confusing

I'll check with the store to see what it is and check back here.

But again I ask, how hard is the back panel to take off?

The back panel off a cab? Not hard. Just take the screws out and pull the back panel off (assuming the cab is rear loaded and not front loaded). You may need to take a straight screw driver and pry a little bit just to get it started, but they are fairly simple to remove. Just be careful because the speaker wires are soldered to the jack on the back panel and if you pull the rear panel too far way (or too hard if there isn't much extra wire) you could pull the wires off the jack. Just be gentle with it and you'll be fine!

As far as the output, the way the amp is described leaves me to believe that your choices are a single 16 ohm out or two 8 ohm outs in parallel, in which case you will need a single 16 ohm cab to use the 16 ohm out or two 16 ohm cabs in parallel to use the 8 ohm outs. Very rarely do you see an amp with a single output and then two other outputs at half the impedance as the first that aren't parallel outs.
Earcandy cabs are front loaded. You pull the grill off (easily), and then unscrew the speakers. Its not difficult at all.

They are INCREDIBLE cabs and this is a steal. I bought mine for $400 unloaded, and it was one of the best cabs I've ever used. If I still had a use for it, I'd never have sold it, will probably try to get another at some point.
Quote by denied
Earcandy cabs are front loaded. You pull the grill off (easily), and then unscrew the speakers. Its not difficult at all.

They are INCREDIBLE cabs and this is a steal. I bought mine for $400 unloaded, and it was one of the best cabs I've ever used. If I still had a use for it, I'd never have sold it, will probably try to get another at some point.

Awesome. Hope you're right. Just wish they would do that for me so I dont end up spend 60 bucks on shipping to find out there is some shitty speaker in it.

Remember at all what yours was rated at?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Awesome. Hope you're right. Just wish they would do that for me so I dont end up spend 60 bucks on shipping to find out there is some shitty speaker in it.

Remember at all what yours was rated at?

It may not be what you want to do but you could always turn around and sell the speakers and buy new ones if you're not happy with them.

If the speakers in it are 16 ohms then you'll be fine. Even if they are wired at 8 ohms you could fix the problem with a little mod. You would just need to add a second jack to the cab - wire one speaker to one jack and the other to the second jack which would give you two 16 ohm loads to run in parallel.
You two rule

I'll check back in tomorrow afternoon. I plan to buy the cab some time in the evening. Hopefully it can make it through the day at GC...I'm thinking about calling in between blocks at schools and have them set it aside for me...just in case...
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Phew. Still there. Waiting for them to call back with some final details
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Order Placed! I'll be in FL so it will be like two weeks before I get it.

But they told me 8 OHM Stereo and 16OHM mono? That works, right?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Yeah, two 8 ohm speakers. Makes sense. Ear candy only puts Eminence and more recently Jensen and Celestion in their cabs, so unless someone changed the speakers out or it's a model that doesn't work well with your amp, the speakers in it should be good. Perhaps you'll get really lucky and get a set of their proprietary sugar cone speakers. Retail on those is way high, something like 250 a piece last time I looked.
Quote by Roc8995
Yeah, two 8 ohm speakers. Makes sense. Ear candy only puts Eminence and more recently Jensen and Celestion in their cabs, so unless someone changed the speakers out or it's a model that doesn't work well with your amp, the speakers in it should be good. Perhaps you'll get really lucky and get a set of their proprietary sugar cone speakers. Retail on those is way high, something like 250 a piece last time I looked.

Well thats the plan. Its gonna be a hit or miss on this thing as I open the back of the cab.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Not sure you can open the back of a buzzbomb cab. I think they're pretty well sealed, with a baffle/reflector panel behind the speakers. You might need to take the speakers out from the front to see what they are.
Quote by Roc8995
Not sure you can open the back of a buzzbomb cab. I think they're pretty well sealed, with a baffle/reflector panel behind the speakers. You might need to take the speakers out from the front to see what they are.

I thought the back panel was screwed in? I must be wrong. I'll find a way in
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
If I'm remembering right they're sealed from the inside too. I thought they had some glued-in bracing on the back panel. There may also be a diffuser panel behind the speakers, though I'm doubting that now that I think about it. Anyway, I thought the only way inside these things was to pop the speakers from the front. Hopefully I'm wrong so you don't have to pull both speakers to figure out what they are.
as for the speakers, if your future amp has a 16ohm tap, you want 8ohm speakers, both of them, so that wired together in series produces a 16ohm cab. if they were 16ohm speakers, wired in series gives you 32ohms (not good), and wired parallel would give you 8ohms (even worse if you only have a 16ohm speaker out).

+1 to weber speakers. quality shizz.
Its going to be crucial to know what speakers are in there, so Im going to find a way into it somehow. If I find they are shit, I will probably just end up flipping the cab. If they are good I will most certainly keep it.

Cross your fingers!

Also, is this a good speaker cable?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Musician-s-Gear-1-4-Inch---1-4-Inch-Speaker-Cable-500522-i1425854.gc

Lastly, I should be able to run my AC15 combo through the cab also, as long as the impedance matches up, right?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Apr 18, 2011,
TS, yes, you'll want to know what's inside them (if for no other reason than your own knowledge), but even if the speakers won't work for you, you might be better off just flipping the speakers and keeping the cab.

That's not the best cable in the world, but I'm sure it will work fine. Main thing is just make sure you're using speaker cable (aka balanced cable) from the amp to the cab.

As for the AC15, so long as impedances match (or at least have the cab's impedance greater than or equal to the amp's) and the speakers are rated at a minimum of the amp's rated output, you're gennerally safe... and pretty much any pair of 12" guitar speakers meet or exceed 15w.
Quote by GrisKy
TS, yes, you'll want to know what's inside them (if for no other reason than your own knowledge), but even if the speakers won't work for you, you might be better off just flipping the speakers and keeping the cab.

That's not the best cable in the world, but I'm sure it will work fine. Main thing is just make sure you're using speaker cable (aka balanced cable) from the amp to the cab.

As for the AC15, so long as impedances match (or at least have the cab's impedance greater than or equal to the amp's) and the speakers are rated at a minimum of the amp's rated output, you're gennerally safe... and pretty much any pair of 12" guitar speakers meet or exceed 15w.

If I open the cab and there are the Sugarcones or some Blues in there I will probably end up flipping them. But we will see. Should be interesting.

I can't get my JCA20 until I sell my VT50, so until then I will probably just run my AC15 through that!
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I e-mailed Earcandy yesterday to ask how I should go about getting inside the cab. I e-mailed them around 11 PM eastern, and I woke up and had received an e-mail from Tim already. Thats some awesome customer service.

He said:

who did you buy it from. can you send me pictures of it?
To get into it, Ill need to see pics of it, but the rear panel does not dome off, you will have to lay the cab on its back and unscrew the speakers screws (they are front loaded and) they should pop out and youll be able to see whats in there.
Thank you
Tim Paulsen
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
you can use the jca20h with either a 16 ohm load, or an 8 ohm load (or two 8 ohm loads).

ive done both 16 ohm and 8 ohms. manual says both are fine.
Quote by jof1029
you can use the jca20h with either a 16 ohm load, or an 8 ohm load (or two 8 ohm loads).

ive done both 16 ohm and 8 ohms. manual says both are fine.

So it doesn't matter which I plug into on the JCA? Or is it the Earcandy I don't need to worry about?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
the first step is to get the cab. then you find the correct jack on the back of the amp. depending on what the impedance of the cab is, you plug into the 16 ohm output or one of the 8 ohm outputs. im just letting you know that the cab should work fine, so dont hesitate to get it based on impedance.
Quote by jof1029
the first step is to get the cab. then you find the correct jack on the back of the amp. depending on what the impedance of the cab is, you plug into the 16 ohm output or one of the 8 ohm outputs. im just letting you know that the cab should work fine, so dont hesitate to get it based on impedance.

Well thats good...since I ordered it Monday

Still a good thing to know

2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by denied
I don't understand whats going on here. Why do you need to open the back of the cab? They are not meant to be opened up that way, there are no screws on the outside.

To check the speakers it is as simple as unscrewing them from the front.

Right. I didn't know that it couldn't be opened up from the back. Now I know that they are front loaded and need to be opened from the front.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!