So a friend of mine who has gone away for a couple of years left his Schecter guitar and Marshall amp in my care, and as a bassist, I figured there could be no harm in using his equipment to teach myself guitar.

However, my family and I just moved into a new house and my new bedroom is...a wee bit smaller than my old one. So I was thinking I would tilt the amp on its side in order to save some space.

This isn't going to cause any lasting damage to the amp, is it? I've looked all over Google for an answer to this, but they all vary based on whether it's a tube amp that uses fans or convection cooling, etc. I think it has a fan because there are vent slats on the backside of the head part. The model is MG250DFX, in case anyone cares to look up the specifics.

So what say ye, people? I just want to know because I don't want to totally screw up my friend's amp and have to buy him a new one when he gets back.

~Peace
mg250dfx is solid state. so you shouldn't experience any problems.
just make sure the amp does not get too warm.
What?
its a valve amp so i wouldnt

^ ok forget that haha
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Last edited by RetroGunslinger at Apr 17, 2011,
Quote by RetroGunslinger
its a valve amp so i wouldnt

marshall mg250dfx is definetly NOT a tube amp.
What?
you'll be fine the only problem you'll have is the horrible tone that will come out of that amp!!
Quote by Robbgnarly
you'll be fine the only problem you'll have is the horrible tone that will come out of that amp!!

QQ MOAR?

MG's arent horrible for someone learning guitar.
They cant do any sound well, but they do a lot of sounds decent.
upside down is safe, sideways is not. sideways all the parts will slide down. upside down the parts will just fall back into place.
mojostompboxes.com
^ What parts?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
The only thing I've ever heard of being damaged from changing orientation is having speaker cones facing towards the floor or ceiling for extended periods.

There has been talk about the tube cathode heating up and moving if the sockets are sideways, but I'm not sure I believe that - they shouldn't be heating up so much that they become even remotely fluid.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by larson8er
QQ MOAR?

MG's arent horrible for someone learning guitar.
They cant do any sound well, but they do a lot of sounds decent.
Indeed, there are better options in my opinion, but there are worse amps out there.

Regardless I think since it's a solid state it should be fine