*Please ignore any missing "E"s, as it dosnt work very often*

Me and my buddies have decided to start a gothic metal project a few weeks ago. We are still having trouble getting things off the ground for one main reason....our influences.

I (bassist) am influenced alot by death metal/power metal, our guitarist is into 80s thrash (i.e Kreator), our drummer is more into speed/punk (i.e X Japan, Misfits), and our singer has been in previous gothic projects before so shes fine.

How do we get over this creative slump? Were so influenced by fast/technical music we arent really sure how to slow things down and writ a proper gothic metal song.

We arent looking to be another Nightwish-esque goth band (although it will probably turn into that because they all sorta do). If we COULD we want to avoid having orchestrations mainly because im the only one that can play a keyboard, and we dont want to play live with a back track, even though its usually a major part of gothic metal.

Any tips would be fantastic.

Thanks
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
This forum is for Songwriting and Lyrics. You need to have posted lyrics for the thread to be accepted. Although the title of the forum may be deceiving, reading the rules should clear things up.

You may repost this in Musician Talk, Bandleading or Promote Your Band, whichever you see fit after reading the rules of each forum.