Hey guys!

I've been teaching myself how to play the acoustic guitar watching youtube videos, with the help of some friends and also reading tabs on this very website. I recently bought a new guitar and I feel I'm ready to take my playing to the next ''level''.

It's been almost a year now without any kind of real direction. I can play most easy ''strummy'' guitar songs. Stuff like Wish you were here, Good riddance by Green Day, basically anything involving simple chords doesn't pose a single problem. I'd say the hardest song I can play flawlessly is Tears in Heaven by Clapton. I can also do simple barre chords like F and B and some variations, altough the switches are not as fast as simple chords like Am, Em, G, C, etc. I spent lots of hours doing chords switches and making sure I hit the notes/chords loud and clear. I've also spent time improvising a bit with a simple scale my friend taught me.

The point is, there is SO MUCH information available on the net, I don't know where to go and what to do to become a better guitarist. I just need some pointers on what I should be practising to keep improving, songs that would pose a certain challenge. I feel like I already have hit a plateau.

My goal with the guitar playing, even if I'm well aware it takes years of practise to accomplish that, is to be able to express my feelings through my guitar.
just try and play songs that are above your playing level. Looks like you are on the right track, I have been playing guitar for almost 10 years now and i still cant play Tears in Heaven.... Not really an acoustic player, but thats beside the point. Just keep playing and practicing.... And dont worry, one day you will get some girl to take her clothes off for you!!!!
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
I suggest you follow the courses on justin guitar if you are on your own like I am. It gives you a good, structured method and he explains everything very well.

It's free too
dubes216 is right.

Songs have everything you need to grow as a guitarist, but you need to pick more difficult ones if the current ones are getting too easy. For the theory side, you need to pick that up separately, possibly from sites like justin guitar, or by buying a book... and then GO BACK to the songs you've learned and see how the theory was used.

If you want to learn to improvise, then you need to learn more licks, riffs, and solos from songs, then put on a backing track and start making stuff up. Only way to learn improvisation is to do it.
Quote by no bs johnny
dubes216 is right.

Songs have everything you need to grow as a guitarist, but you need to pick more difficult ones if the current ones are getting too easy. For the theory side, you need to pick that up separately, possibly from sites like justin guitar, or by buying a book... and then GO BACK to the songs you've learned and see how the theory was used.

If you want to learn to improvise, then you need to learn more licks, riffs, and solos from songs, then put on a backing track and start making stuff up. Only way to learn improvisation is to do it.

Spot On!!!

I believe there are 2 different ways you can go about learning the guitar. Option 1 is you go down the path of learning lots of theory, practicing scales/chords etc... and then using that to play.

Option 2 is the song method which I personally like. Basically you pick the songs you want to learn like you've already done and learn the stuff thats needed to be able to play the song. By learning more songs, and increasing the difficulty overtime, you'll then be able to do what you want to do.

Hope this helps.
For 'Ultimate Guitar' Members: I wrote an ebook called "The Ultimate Guide To Playing The Guitar".

If you'd like a FREE copy of it, you can do so by Clicking Here
Quote by dubes216
just try and play songs that are above your playing level. Looks like you are on the right track, I have been playing guitar for almost 10 years now and i still cant play Tears in Heaven.... Not really an acoustic player, but thats beside the point. Just keep playing and practicing.... And dont worry, one day you will get some girl to take her clothes off for you!!!!

+1. Just keep at it, and keep at those chords. Maybe try writing some, that might help focus on specific chord changes.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
One thing to remember when learning songs is not to take everything so literally. Tabs and transcriptions sometimes have a problem of over analyzing music. The write in bumped strings and other things that the artist themselves would never play again or didn't mean to in the first place. What's important is that you get what they're doing, not to imitate. You want to understand the language, not walk around reciting someone else's words.

--m
www.knobtwiddler.net
Quote by knobtwiddler
One thing to remember when learning songs is not to take everything so literally. Tabs and transcriptions sometimes have a problem of over analyzing music. The write in bumped strings and other things that the artist themselves would never play again or didn't mean to in the first place. What's important is that you get what they're doing, not to imitate. You want to understand the language, not walk around reciting someone else's words.

--m
www.knobtwiddler.net

So true. When I learn other peoples songs I get the jist of what sound they're going for and what scales they're using and I play it my own way while keeping the more memorable and recognizable parts.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Last edited by Scopic at Apr 18, 2011,