Poll: does knowing how something works ruin it for you?
Poll Options
View poll results: does knowing how something works ruin it for you?
yes, a lot
2 3%
yes, but only a little
12 19%
not at all
14 23%
no, it makes me appreciate it more
34 55%
Voters: 62.
searched and couldn't find anything. do you ever find that knowing how something works kind of ruins it for you? like knowing how sausages are made or knowing how a magic trick works or knowing how a tricky sounding guitar lick is played? i'm sure most of you do, but what are some of the specific things?

i always find it kind of disappointing when you listen to song really complex riff, and then you see that it is actually quite easy to play, knowing kind of takes a lot of the magic out of it.

what about the rest of you?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
no, just no. some things are better left alone.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Yeah sometimes things get ruined for me like that. I used to think the sound of bending a note to match another note was rad, but then I learned how to do it and it's just 'meh' now.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58

■■■

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
I really don't care if a riff sounds complex but then isn't, I care more about how it sounds.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I don't know, I always try to look at it in the same light, but it is just kind of human nature. I mean, look at chemistry versus magic. When we didn't understand it we called it magic, and were fascinated by it, now that people understand it, people fall asleep when they are told how it all works.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Not at all. I don't get impressed by a fast guitar lick, because it's stupid really, and knowing how sausages are made is ****ing useless (I don't think there is a lot of magic to knowing how sausages are made anyway), and a magic trick is just a lame magic trick, whether you know how it's done or not.

EDIT:
Quote by tayroar
I don't know, I always try to look at it in the same light, but it is just kind of human nature. I mean, look at chemistry versus magic. When we didn't understand it we called it magic, and were fascinated by it, now that people understand it, people fall asleep when they are told how it all works.

I'm the opposite.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Apr 17, 2011,
Quote by RocksAwakening5

I don't wanna talk to a scientist, ya'll motherf*ckers lying and gettin me pissed
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
As an engineer, I'm trained to take everything apart to see how it works and its actually very interesting most of the time
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
Quote by Crimson Ghost
I don't wanna talk to a scientist, ya'll motherf*ckers lying and gettin me pissed

he be pissed, he be pissed!
■■■

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Knowing how the Gas Turbine works, or the Rankine Cycle works is quite interesting.

Otherwise, most of the things learned in engineering is a bit boring.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by Burgery
Not at all. I don't get impressed by a fast guitar lick, because it's stupid really, and knowing how sausages are made is ****ing useless (I don't think there is a lot of magic to knowing how sausages are made anyway), and a magic trick is just a lame magic trick, whether you know how it's done or not.

EDIT:

I'm the opposite.

I mean, yeah some people love it, I enjoy chemistry myself, I'm just saying, there's a stigma of the boring Chemistry class for a reason.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by theogonia777

i always find it kind of disappointing when you listen to song really complex riff, and then you see that it is actually quite easy to play, knowing kind of takes a lot of the magic out of it.

what about the rest of you?

I'm the complete opposite with riffs. If it sounds complex and is actually simple I love how accessable it is.
Quote by Mudmen190
I fucking love details.

First I raised yer mums skirt and then I gave her a wink. She said don't stop daddy ........
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
First I raised yer mums skirt and then I gave her a wink. She said don't stop daddy ........

Go on...
It depends. For instance, when I discovered Metallica riffs were actually simple; I was all "Fuck this shit. I need some Death Metal!"
Sometimes. I remember starting with the guitar and learning about simple riffs with added distortion make them sound like something epic kinda disappointed me, but right now I care more about the structure and overall sound of a song than just its complexity...

about the whole science thing, it always fascinated me and knowing how it works makes me even more fascinated because it allows me to reproduce the phenomena and amaze others with "my magic"
Quote by Butt Rayge
Go on...

Vidi vici veni
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Vidi vici veni

You saw, you conquered, you came.

I'm assuming the incorrect order was intentional.
Yeah I can't really see a movie a second time.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.