Hey guys,
I've been playing guitar just over a year now, got most of the basic nailed, onto more advanced stuff. Starting to work on Pinch Harmonics, but be it acoustic or electric I don't like picks. I don't know why they just feel really uncomfortable.

Is playing without a pick unusual?

Cheers. :p
“Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you’ll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you’re gonna be rewarded.”
- Jimi Hendrix
i'd guess it's pretty unusual, and it'll make certain techniques harder to do, but if that's more comfortable, then it'll be better in the long run
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
not at all. make guitarists play without picks. for example, most classical and flamenco guitarists don't play with picks. it makes certain things easier, such as getting the notes more even when playing chords, and many jazz guitarists will comp using their fingers. and of course, not using a pick can allow you to do more with tapping, particularly being able to 8 finger tap.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by omgpaulthompson
Hey guys,
I've been playing guitar just over a year now, got most of the basic nailed, onto more advanced stuff. Starting to work on Pinch Harmonics, but be it acoustic or electric I don't like picks. I don't know why they just feel really uncomfortable.

Is playing without a pick unusual?

Cheers. :p

NOPE! There are lots of players who don't use pick in an otherwise pick "dominated" field. I know the lead guitarist for Fleetwood Mac doesn't and he shreds. If it feels comfortable and you enjoy the sound, do it!

This is also relevant to bassists and picks...just ****ING DO IT
Quote by justinrobbins7
*unzipppp* "Deal with this, wench."

Quote by Mazzakazza
Ug Knows 1000% More About Scrotal Sacs Than Real Doctors.
Hm Let Me Investigate. You Has The Painful Scroties? You Has Aids.
Next Plz.
Quote by The 6th String
NOPE! There are lots of players who don't use pick in an otherwise pick "dominated" field. I know the lead guitarist for Fleetwood Mac doesn't and he shreds. If it feels comfortable and you enjoy the sound, do it!

This is also relevant to bassists and picks...just ****ING DO IT

I wouldn't call Lindsey Buckingham a shredder xD

EDIT: I'm assuming you're using "shreds" as a way of saying "rocks" or "is proficient at his instrument". I've never heard it been used that way before.
REGGIE
Last edited by LeakyFlask at Apr 17, 2011,
a styles a style. if you feel more comfortable with finger picking than go for it bro. do some experimenting and research, learn what the sound difference is, the advantages and disadvantages. also try and find some guitarists that use the same style and see what they can do with the guitar.

gl.
This just depend which style you play...

You can't play fast trash metal without a pick...
You can't play Justin King with a pick...

Not the best example... But i do recommend a pick for pinch harmonic...

So what do you play?... After answering this question i'll be able to say if it's unusual.

-MDP
Quote by MangeuDePoutine
This just depend on what you play...

You can't play fast trash metal without a pick...
You can't play Justin King with a pick...

Not the best example... But i do recommend a pick for pinch harmonic...

So what do you play?... After answering this question i'll be able to say if it's unusual.

-MDP

With the acoustic , usualy just just the typical Clapton or Pink Floyd style
With Electric more rock or blues. (Guns N roses/Clapton again)
“Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you’ll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you’re gonna be rewarded.”
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Andy81
im surprised knowones mentioned Mark Knopfler

LOL i was totally going to mention him, but i didn't want to exclude any jazz guitarists if i was naming people, and i don't know many finger picking jazz guitarists.
Quote by omgpaulthompson
With the acoustic , usualy just just the typical Clapton or Pink Floyd style
With Electric more rock or blues. (Guns N roses/Clapton again)

The acoustic stuff is fine without a puck but with the style your playing on the electric it may get a little tough to play at times. I would highly recommend getting used to a pick so then you can change it up whenever you need to. If you just stick to one thing there will most likely be times when you will be restricted from doing something.
Quote by MangeuDePoutine
But i do recommend a pick for pinch harmonic...

My dad's a crazy bassist and he just picks with his finger and touches the pinch harmonic with his thumb...
Stuart Smith does similar, but picks the note with his thumb and hits the harmonic with his pointer...

It's possible ^_^
Stuart smith witrh the eagles RARELY EVER uses a pick... maybe once every 100 songs...
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by guitarocker100
The acoustic stuff is fine without a puck but with the style your playing on the electric it may get a little tough to play at times. I would highly recommend getting used to a pick so then you can change it up whenever you need to. If you just stick to one thing there will most likely be times when you will be restricted from doing something.

I agree with this. While "building the blocks" like you are at this stage it's pretty irrational to limit yourself by not using a pick. Further down the road you can make a choice depending on the style you like more. For now i would advise to practice both fingerstyle and with a pick.

I remember I first thought playing with a pick very akward when I transitioned to electric after 3 months learning beginner stuff on classical.

Now it's like 2nd nature and in my opinion e the pick gives me more control and range over dynamics and attack... I also like the tone i get with a pick better too

So I think if you didn't practise with a pick much it's normal for it to feel akward, just keep at it.
Last edited by Guitarra_acores at Apr 17, 2011,
You might just consider doing both. I do. Some songs are better with pick. Just use the best option for the song.
Pretty sure you'll be fine without a pick given your musical interests. It might be worth continuing to practice with one to see if you grow more comfortable later but I don't think you're really losing anything if you drop it completely. Plenty of fingerstyle musicians can tear it up and there are some things you just can't do with a pick.
honestly I like knowing both and I recommend that, however you should be just fine with out a pick.

infact if you get good at muting while fingerpicking you can probably even shred while finger picking, you can gain a pretty decent speed since you are attacking the strings from five points instead of just one (pick alone) or two (hybrid picking, yeah I guess if you are good enough you can use all your fingers, but I don't recall seeing anyone use all three free fingers for hybrid picking). just practice and it will be fine there are plenty of guitarists that never use picks, it's really just a matter of preference.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
robben ford (sometimes, i think) and jeff beck both get really nice sounds with their thumb and finger
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
No one used pick before Charlie Patton, but I dont know how to do a Pinch harmonic without one. Nor do I see how'd you do alt picking. But if it works for you, don't use one.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by krypticguitar87
(hybrid picking, yeah I guess if you are good enough you can use all your fingers, but I don't recall seeing anyone use all three free fingers for hybrid picking).

I do sometimes, but not often. It can get a bit awkward at times.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by Robbin'TheHood
No one used pick before Charlie Patton, but I dont know how to do a Pinch harmonic without one. Nor do I see how'd you do alt picking. But if it works for you, don't use one.

alt picking is spimply taking your thumb and index finger and going back and fourth (down stroke with the thumb and up stroke with the index)

Quote by Robbin'TheHood
I do sometimes, but not often. It can get a bit awkward at times.

Yeah I figured it was possible I just can't really thing of anytime I've seen it used, if anyone has a youtube clip of someone cleanly using a pick and thethree free fingers for hybrid picking I would love to see it....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.