Page 1 of 4
A few minutes ago I voted on a Facebook poll that asked what I believed. One of the things I checked was "atheist" which I quickly unchecked because I realized people on my friends list can see what I vote for. Not that I feel bad about what I believe; it just didn't seem wise to advertise that sort of thing, given the stigma against atheists. I wish I could be more outspoken. Despite people saying you should be unashamed and forthright with your beliefs, the reality is it could have crippling consequences on you and your reputation.

So, how open are you about your beliefs and how open do you think you should you be?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
who cares about what other people think, be yourself and speak your opinion. if they don't like it, to damn bad.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
I think if the people on your friend list care enough about what you believe to change their opinion of you at all, maybe they don't belong there at all.

I'm quite open about my beliefs. I don't like to be in-your-face about them, but if someone asks, I will tell them what I think without hesitating.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by fail
A few minutes ago I voted on a Facebook poll that asked what I believed. One of the things I checked was "atheist" which I quickly unchecked because I realized people on my friends list can see what I vote for. Not that I feel bad about what I believe; it just didn't seem wise to advertise that sort of thing, given the stigma against atheists. I wish I could be more outspoken. Despite people saying you should be unashamed and forthright with your beliefs, the reality is it could have crippling consequences on you and your reputation.

So, how open are you about your beliefs and how open do you think you should you be?

girl
I use them when i need them and hide them when they're a hinderance to me.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Well seeing I'm from south Texas, I'm bound to get lynched if I say something like "Ya know? Obama is a pretty great president." I think I'm pretty open with my beliefs... only to certain people though.
POST RAWK
Quote by SKArface McDank
girl

El capitan les obvioso

Quote by RocksAwakening5
who cares about what other people think, be yourself and speak your opinion. if they don't like it, to damn bad.

And in the first post too. I am proud.
Quote by MAC2322
I think if the people on your friend list care enough about what you believe to change their opinion of you at all, maybe they don't belong there at all.

This entirely, unfortunately not a lot of people seem to be able to accept this. At least it seems to be getting better
Quote by MAC2322

I'm quite open about my beliefs. I don't like to be in-your-face about them, but if someone asks, I will tell them what I think without hesitating.

this
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
I'm not particularly open about my beliefs because i think its dumb to think that other people give a shit. But maybe that's just because i don't give a shit about anyone's beliefs but my own
Want to leave hurtful comments about me and my band on youtube!?!?!? Click the link below!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sWguqmZB34

Quote by Tragic Mulatto
as long as you are in this thread you are in my vagina.
Quote by RocksAwakening5

That's a fun attitude to have and all, but what if you're dealing with sensitive family members? Is the shitstorm worth it? What about potential employers? Especially in somewhere like conservative Utah, can you really afford to speak your opinion?

Quote by WhiskeyFace
Why would you re-label yourself to make others feel better?

It's more like de-labeling than re-labeling.
And because what they feel can effect how they treat you.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Last edited by fail at Apr 17, 2011,
But atheists don't believe in anything... except making other people not believe anything.

I'm outspoken about my beliefs, and it pisses off almost everyone here at UG cause I tend to be conservative, but I don't care.

Don't be afriad to voice your opinion, at least your lucky enough to be able to, alot of people can't, mainly people in very poor countries or oppressive countries.
Quote by MAC2322

Well that doesn't make any sense. There are plenty of beliefs i could discover a person to have that would totally turn my perception of them on its head.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Why would you need to be outspoken about atheism?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i force my beliefs on others without even considering what they will think, and if they reject them i will probably get upset and physically harm them for not accepting my beliefs.

EDIT: and if you don't agree with that, you're gonna get it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Apr 17, 2011,
Quote by StewieSwan
I don't hide them, nor do I advertise them.

pretty much this
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by fail
That's a fun attitude to have and all, but what if you're dealing with sensitive family members? Is the shitstorm worth it? What about potential employers? Especially in somewhere like conservative Utah, can you really afford to speak your opinion?

So? There's no point in changing yourself. If someone doesn't employ you because of stupid reasons like that then they don't deserve you
I don't hide them, but i dont go around harassing people with them. Im open to debate or educate but usually its just with people i actually care about.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Quote by ethan_hanus
But atheists don't believe in anything... except making other people not believe anything.

I'm outspoken about my beliefs, and it pisses off almost everyone here at UG cause I tend to be conservative, but I don't care.

Don't be afriad to voice your opinion, at least your lucky enough to be able to, alot of people can't, mainly people in very poor countries or oppressive countries.

It doesn't piss us off because you're conservative, it pisses us off because you're ignorant.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Quote by ethan_hanus

Quote by fail

why not do it? you only live once, speak up.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by WhiskeyFace
So? There's no point in changing yourself.

Where did I say anything about changing myself?

If someone doesn't employ you because of stupid reasons like that then they don't deserve you

I think that's a naive way of looking at it, especially when you can hardly afford to eat.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Last edited by fail at Apr 17, 2011,
I'm willing to discuss what I believe at almost any time, to almost anyone. I'm very open about being an atheist, but I probably wouldn't bring it up myself.
It sucks having opinions not held by the majority because people always think you're doing it just to rebel. **** you. I want EVERYONE to be atheist vegans lol.
There are some idiotic assholes in my school who get great entertainment out of putting the non-Catholic students down. I've decided to keep my Buddhist beliefs to myself.
Not so open that you are telling everyone your beliefs and talking about it all the time.

But if anyone is asking or something then why not tell them the truth Your beliefs=you.
Quote by RocksAwakening5
why not do it? you only live once, speak up.

You only live once, why deal with shitty consequences?

Quote by SKArface McDank
girl

K
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You should never be afraid to offend people with your opinion. Quite frankly, if you are, then you have the wrong opinion.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Why would you need to be outspoken about atheism?

I've always wondered about this. For some reason, there are quite a few people even on UG who can't help but to brandish it though.

Quote by fail
It doesn't piss us off because you're conservative, it pisses us off because you're ignorant.

Well that was handled quite eloquently.
Quote by fail
Where did I say anything about changing myself?

I think that's a naive way of looking at it, especially when you can hardly afford to eat.

You said you didn't want your friends knowing you are an atheist. Rather than running away from the negativity toward it, argue against it.

How is it naive? If you can hardly eat then it's a differen story.
Quote by RocksAwakening5
why not do it?

Because you have little to gain and plenty to lose maybe? There are certainly situations to speak up, but there are plenty of times where it would behoove you to keep it to yourself. If I was living in the deep south for example, I probably wouldn't advertise the fact that I'm an atheist, anarcho-communist who supports gay marriage.
Page 1 of 4