I'm looking to make some high quality guitar recordings so that I can begin cataloging my riffs/licks/etc in preparation of the songwriting process. I've already got an SM57 mic and its corresponding XLR cable, but I am still pondering about what kind of interface I should purchase. I was also thinking of doing very basic drum recordings. I don't own a preamp so the all of the interfaces I've been looking at have pre-amps in them. I don't need software, but I'll take it if the hardware/distortion/chorus is good.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Avid-Recording-Studio-106202450-i1562950.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-POD-Studio-UX1-with-POD-Farm-105146328-i1427097.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB-2X2-USB-Recording-System-104841978-i1388074.gc

At a glance, it would seem that the Line 6 is the best choice with its 5 star rating, but since it is Line 6, I expect alot of the reviews to be written by beginners.

Which of those three is the best for my operation and if they all suck what do you suggest for under $200?

If it means anything, I play alot of thrash, but was thinking of recording riffs that in the vein of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns8BW5nghAY and Lamb of God type riffs.

Thank you in advance ,
StudiousMonkey
Line 6 isn't usually the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of suggestions for an interface, but the thing that caught my eye was the Ableton software which I honestly think is amazing and unique. It's deep yet it's not challenging at all to use if you just want to make a standard track (Guitar, bass, drums, vocals). Plus with POD Farm, you've got everything you need for guitar recording. The inclusion of both POD Farm and Ableton make it the best value of the three.
After some reading, I discovered that the Avid and the PreSonus are not very compatible with the SM57. I think I am going to go the the Line 6 as recommended.

Gracias!
StudiousMonkey
The setup looks pretty simple on the Line 6, but Line 6 stuff is usually pretty high quality (outside of Spider combo amps). Also, you can't go wrong with Ableton as your DAW. It's extremely intuitive, and it can do everything from a simple band recording to really complex texture stuff.
Quote by StudiousMonkey
After some reading, I discovered that the Avid and the PreSonus are not very compatible with the SM57. I think I am going to go the the Line 6 as recommended.

Wait what? That makes no ****ing sense whatsoever. Mics are compatible across all interfaces. You can plug a SM57 into anything and it will pretty much sound the same across the board.

If you haven't already ordered the Line 6 one, I highly recommend not ordering it. Its not a very expandable interface. With either the Avid or Presonus one, you have phantom power which will allow you to use condenser mics which are better for vocals and acoustic instruments. Also, with the Presonus one, you get Midi input which will allow for you to plug in a midi keyboard.

The only perk of the Line 6 interface is Pod Farm which is ok unless you upgrade it to platinum. Otherwise, you're just wasting money
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by StudiousMonkey

Gracias!
StudiousMonkey

The SM57 is compatible with every interface
I leik music
First things first....I wouldn't get any Line 6 interface or any interface for that matter that didn't have Phantom Power. UX2 has Phantom Power not UX1.

As said above the SM57 is indeed compatible with everything.
I should have been more detailed with my use of compatible. In Amazon review I read that the PreSonus was good if "2) you are not using an SM57 or some other dynamic mic that requires more than 35dB of gain, otherwise it will be too quiet" and a similar situation with the Avid. Although it is short-sighted of me to forego the UX2, at the time I was not in the least bit interested in using condenser mics. I'm currently watching an auction of a UX2 and will sell the UX1 if it does not meet expectations. I bought the UX1 for $77USD(shipping included) on eBay

Your input is, as always, much appreciated and I will keep the facts in consideration in future decision-making. I'll keep checking this thread and hope that some more interesting audio interface discussion will come along.

Cheers!
StudiousMonkey
Quote by StudiousMonkey
In Amazon review

Theres your problem. 99% of the time, reviews on sites like Amazon, Guitar Center, or any other major online store are written by complete morons that have no clue what they're talking about or its their first time experiencing such a problem and don't know how to fix it.
Quote by lockwolf
Theres your problem. 99% of the time, reviews on sites like Amazon, Guitar Center, or any other major online store are written by complete morons that have no clue what they're talking about or its their first time experiencing such a problem and don't know how to fix it.

Seeing my immigrant "In Amazon Review" quoted in big, bold letters is significantly more embarrassing than I thought. As for the review, I accept that with ANY review/publication there is room for human error/laziness/retardedness.
Quote by BrandonBeaux
The setup looks pretty simple on the Line 6, but Line 6 stuff is usually pretty high quality (outside of Spider combo amps). Also, you can't go wrong with Ableton as your DAW. It's extremely intuitive, and it can do everything from a simple band recording to really complex texture stuff.

I'm totally digging "Good for You" on your SoundCloud. The production is quiet excellent, I found the panning, drum clarity and vocals really good for a non-Radio band.

Get out there and get heard man!
Quote by StudiousMonkey
Seeing my immigrant "In Amazon Review" quoted in big, bold letters is significantly more embarrassing than I thought. As for the review, I accept that with ANY review/publication there is room for human error/laziness/retardedness.

True but you've gotta take into account Home Vs Pro review.Typically, most reviews on Amazon are going to be average people who just bought them, have no clue what they're doing and just hit 5/5 for the sake of giving something stars cuz its new and cool. With a pro review, they usually have a lot of experience with what they're talking about. I mean look at Guitar Centers site and look at guitar amps, the 2nd highest rated amp is the Roland Cube. If I was looking for an amp and had no clue what to look for, I'd buy it cuz its cheap and high rated. Then, I'd get laughed at as I try and play a gig with it.
StudiousMonkey there is an edit button, no need for triple posting.

I use SM57's with my presonus interface and it works great.
I leik music