My hometown is changing its name to "POM Wonderful The Greatest Movie Ever Sold"

Here's the story: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/04/17/the-price-was-right-pennsylvania-town-will-rename-itself-after-movie/

This really shows how much of a joke Altoona, PA is. Why they would ever change the name of the city to such a ridiculous name for a measly $25,000 is beyond my comprehension.

EDIT: Yes, I did forget to mention that it was only for 60 days. Really doesn't change the fact that this whole thing is ridiculous.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Last edited by nexteyenate at Apr 18, 2011,
pics or it didnt happen
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
That means nothing unless that name appears on a map.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Time to kick your local politician in the face..................Roadhouse!
It's only for 60 days, and it seems to be based around the premise of the movie anyways.

Edit: For people to lazy to actually read....:

For the asking price of $25,000, the title of Spurlock's film will become Altoona's new name for 60 days, starting April 27.

“Clearly, the people of Altoona have a sense of humor – and an asking price,” said Bill Schirf, mayor of the town soon to be known as POM Wonderful Presents The Greatest Movie Ever Sold. Schirf hopes the publicity stunt will help spotlight his city as an innovator in the new business world. And the town plans to put their check toward enhancing their police department.
Last edited by archerkoala at Apr 17, 2011,
Free money?
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
It's for 60 days. I'd change my name to POM Wonderful Presents The Greatest Movie Ever Sold for 60 days if they gave me $25,000.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Times are tough bro.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by element4433
It's for 60 days. I'd change my name to POM Wonderful Presents The Greatest Movie Ever Sold for 60 days if they gave me $25,000.

Well yeah, so would I, but think about this for a second: If that $25,000 were equally distributed among the population of Altoona, that would equate to roughly 50 cents per person. Would you change your name to POM Wonderful Presents The Greatest Movie Ever Sold for 50 cents? I don't think so.

Also, think of the further implications of this name change. It is true that Altoona will receive a good bit of publicity for this, but it will be almost entirely negative publicity. Imagine someone from out of town is looking for a job, and they receive a job offer from both Altoona and neighboring Hollidaysburg. If this person hears that Altoona changed its name to some ridiculous name for 60 days for only $25,000, it would give this person the impression that Altoona is so desperate for economic stimulation that they resort to publicity stunts.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Quote by nexteyenate
Well yeah, so would I, but think about this for a second: If that $25,000 were equally distributed among the population of Altoona, that would equate to roughly 50 cents per person. Would you change your name to POM Wonderful Presents The Greatest Movie Ever Sold for 50 cents? I don't think so.

Also, think of the further implications of this name change. It is true that Altoona will receive a good bit of publicity for this, but it will be almost entirely negative publicity. Imagine someone from out of town is looking for a job, and they receive a job offer from both Altoona and neighboring Hollidaysburg. If this person hears that Altoona changed its name to some ridiculous name for 60 days for only $25,000, it would give this person the impression that Altoona is so desperate for economic stimulation that they resort to publicity stunts.

The money's not planned to go to the citizens though

Giving $25k for free to the police force just for a temporary name change is fine.
I thought this was pretty rad until I saw what they planned to do with the spending.

Schools? No.

Hospitals? No.

Feed the poor? Of course not.

What Altoona really needs is (a new amp) more police.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by darkcheef
The money's not planned to go to the citizens though

Giving $25k for free to the police force just for a temporary name change is fine.

I know that money is going "directly" to the police department, but in the grand scheme of things, it's just an extra 25k thrown into the city's budget, which is meant to benefit every citizen.
Quote by Killian5-0

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
That's where your taxes are going into.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by nexteyenate
I know that money is going "directly" to the police department, but in the grand scheme of things, it's just an extra 25k thrown into the city's budget, which is meant to benefit every citizen.
How does 25K to the police department not benefit every citizen?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Because within 2 years they'll have doubled their money through frivolous speeding tickets.
LtBrenton

Quote by Douglas Adams
The art of flying lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Quote by soulflyV

If I didn't have a mudkip in there, I'd sig that.

http://ltbrenton.wordpress.com My blog. Check it out.

☠ ☠ ☠
I think it's a great idea. I've been to Altoona, and there's not much else going for it.

Plus it's only for 60 days, and it's only ceremonial. So calm down.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this film. I think it's going to be good.
Quote by happytimeharry
Topeka changed its name to Google for a while.

We did?

...The fuck was I?
Quote by nexteyenate

since when do politicians share? am i missing something?
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
When I see Morgan Spurlock's face anywhere, I feel obligated to murder.
IN LIFE...

IS DEATH

IN DEATH...

IS DEATH
Quote by goest
We did?

...The fuck was I?

Yeah, I think it was earlier this year or late last year.
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
Quote by goest
We did?

...The fuck was I?

I'm sure it was just for like a month. Didn't make any difference, though. Kansas City won anyway.
I knew they were doing that test that KC won, but I had no idea we had changed the city's name.

Good God, I swear Topeka's half retarded.
Quote by goest

Good God, I swear Topeka's half retarded.

Don't be so hard on yourself. In all fairness, I'm sure the Phelps family's massive retardation probably rubs off on the rest of the city.
Quote by happytimeharry
Don't be so hard on yourself. In all fairness, I'm sure the Phelps family's massive retardation probably rubs off on the rest of the city.

It's true. That's why I stay in Lawrence.
Quote by Vornik
I thought this was pretty rad until I saw what they planned to do with the spending.

Schools? No.

Hospitals? No.

Feed the poor? Of course not.

What Altoona really needs is (a new amp) more police.

We all know small-town cops really need the budget increases to catch all the....people that go 2 mph over the speed limit
PM me for newts
Quote by nexteyenate
Here's the story: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/04/17/the-price-was-right-pennsylvania-town-will-rename-itself-after-movie/

This really shows how much of a joke Altoona, PA is. Why they would ever change the name of the city to such a ridiculous name for a measly $25,000 is beyond my comprehension.

EDIT: Yes, I did forget to mention that it was only for 60 days. Really doesn't change the fact that this whole thing is ridiculous.

That movie is done by the same guy who did Supersize Me, he's making a point about advertising.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by happytimeharry
I'm sure it was just for like a month. Didn't make any difference, though. Kansas City won anyway.

You're in Kansas City? Hell yeah, I am too. High five man.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!