HEllo me again. If you havnt heard im getting a tony iommi gibson pickup for the bridge postion, and i wanted to know, what i should pair this pickup with? Or should i just use the stock neck pickup with the iommibucker? Thanks in advance!
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
What guitar is it?

What amp and pedals do you use?

What kind of sound do you want?
Quote by ethan_hanus
If it's a sig pickup, shouldn't there be a neck version of it too?

can only afford one and you use the same pickup for both neck and bridge, they are the same.

My guitar is an ESP/LTD F-50

Im currently using a deltalabs tube driver but my big muff will be arriving soon

and i want a black sabbath sound. Or just good ol classisc sabbath LIKE tone XD
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
can only afford one and you use the same pickup for both neck and bridge, they are the same.

Im currently using a deltalabs tube driver but my big muff will be arriving soon

and i want a black sabbath sound. Or just good ol classisc sabbath LIKE tone XD

jarrod what you use depends on what you want out of your neck pickup. not sure how much tony uses his. keep in mind that thee is more than tony's tone to playing. so do you plan on using it primarily for leads or perhaps for clean tones?
Quote by monwobobbo
jarrod what you use depends on what you want out of your neck pickup. not sure how much tony uses his. keep in mind that thee is more than tony's tone to playing. so do you plan on using it primarily for leads or perhaps for clean tones?

Oh i dont know . i just thought if i replaced the bridge i would need to replace the neck or it would sound bad or something...
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
...and you use the same pickup for both neck and bridge, they are the same.

Wrong. First off, the bridge and the neck pickup naturally sound different because of their location on the string. The closer to the bridge you get, the brighter and thinner your tone will be. The farther from bridge you get the thicker and warmer your tone will be. If you don't believe this, try micing your guitar and you'll notice the tone changes as you move the mic closer and farther from the bridge.

Also, while two pickups may be the same model, often times bridge and neck pickups are fine tuned to produce slightly different tones. So you have the pickups themselves producing different tones on their own combined with them naturally producing different tones because of where they are located on the guitar.

Quote by Jarrodthebobo

To be perfectly honest, your guitar isn't worth upgrading pickups unless you plan to upgrade all of the hardware and the pots and jack. While they are decent beginner guitars and make good platforms for modding, the stock parts are all cheap and you'd be better off replacing them all.

Quote by Jarrodthebobo

That's great, but that still doesn't tell us what amp you're using. If you want a good Sabbath tone you need an amp with a nice British crunch that is on the brighter side. You'd also have good luck throwing a treble booster in the mix.

One thing to remember is don't cheap out on pickups. While there are some reasonably priced pickups out there from companies like Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio, try to avoid pickups in the $30 or $40 area because they generally don't sound very good. If you're happy with your neck pickup then keep it. But keep in mind that Tony was good friends with his tone knobs and his pickup selector so make sure you're happy with whatever you get.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Wrong. First off, the bridge and the neck pickup naturally sound different because of their location on the string. The closer to the bridge you get, the brighter and thinner your tone will be. The farther from bridge you get the thicker and warmer your tone will be. If you don't believe this, try micing your guitar and you'll notice the tone changes as you move the mic closer and farther from the bridge.

Also, while two pickups may be the same model, often times bridge and neck pickups are fine tuned to produce slightly different tones. So you have the pickups themselves producing different tones on their own combined with them naturally producing different tones because of where they are located on the guitar.

To be perfectly honest, your guitar isn't worth upgrading pickups unless you plan to upgrade all of the hardware and the pots and jack. While they are decent beginner guitars and make good platforms for modding, the stock parts are all cheap and you'd be better off replacing them all.

That's great, but that still doesn't tell us what amp you're using. If you want a good Sabbath tone you need an amp with a nice British crunch that is on the brighter side. You'd also have good luck throwing a treble booster in the mix.

One thing to remember is don't cheap out on pickups. While there are some reasonably priced pickups out there from companies like Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio, try to avoid pickups in the $30 or $40 area because they generally don't sound very good. If you're happy with your neck pickup then keep it. But keep in mind that Tony was good friends with his tone knobs and his pickup selector so make sure you're happy with whatever you get.

I dont know why everyone hates on my guitar XD. the quality truely isnt that horrible. I've even had my guitar repairman/teacher open it up and tell me what he thinks XD. He said that for a guitar made in china, the internals are pretty good. When looking up the tony iommi pickups it says you can use them in either the bridge or neck, there is (supposively) no neck.bridge version from what i read. MY amp is the Epihpone Valve Special, which i know doesnt count as a bristish voiced amp, but right now im getting some good tones out of it so im fine and dont plan on getting a new amp.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build