I want to start recording my music (electric and classic guitar with no pickup), I'm looking for decent quality at minimum price. I have an old computer (P4, 512 Ram...) and the soundcard is crappy, but it handles the recording software. What do you think? I had some ideas in my mind.

- Get a Line6 POD (or similar cheap junk just to connect the electric guitar to the computer with some quality) and use Guitar Rig/Cubase to fx/record.

- Get a new soundcard (I have an opportunity of buying a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 EX Platinum for 40 pounds, what fdo you think about this soundcard?)

- Get a good mic (Shure SM57 or Fame MS57) and plug it through the new soundcard (to record the acoustic shit and to record directly using my amp)

What do you think?
Last edited by Duarteman at Apr 17, 2011,
Quote by FireHawk
Depends on your budget.

Minimum budget possible, what can you recommend?
This is pulled straight from the description under the website when i googled "creative soundblaster":
Quote by Creative Website
Creative Sound Blaster sound cards deliver the ultimate audio for PC gaming, movies and music listening.

note that it doesnt say anything about music recording.

you would be much better off getting some sort of interface made for recording. sorta like a pod, but really just works with the computer. and then you can hook the mic to that, plug the guitar straight in and use amp modelling, etc. which is where your budget comes in, so we can know what kinda stuff to recomend.
You should get some sort of USB/Firewire audio interface. A good soundcard is not really that important/necessary since the audio interface will act as the soundcard. You can get a decent one for $150. I know the POD UX2 comes with POD Farm and Ableton.
Quote by jof1029
This is pulled straight from the description under the website when i googled "creative soundblaster":

note that it doesnt say anything about music recording.

you would be much better off getting some sort of interface made for recording. sorta like a pod, but really just works with the computer. and then you can hook the mic to that, plug the guitar straight in and use amp modelling, etc. which is where your budget comes in, so we can know what kinda stuff to recomend.

The soundcard I mentioned is different, have a look here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multimedia/display/audigy2-platinum-ex.html

But what interfaces do you recommend?
no no no
do not get the mic, do not get the soundcard, and do not get the LinePod.

youll be burning lots of money and not getting the best results.

what you need first is an audio interface.
google around to see what exactly it is, the prive range and features range from 50$ to thousands.. howver all you need is a guitar input and maybe in case you want to sing , phantom powered mic..

I suggest you take a look at guitar rig kontrol 3 , session or any variant, it acts as a pretty good quality audio interface and includes guitar rig 4, which will let you explore sounds and styles like you have no idea.. youll be ablte to record your own creations and overall the price you pay for the features is great.

2 step, a pair of studio monitors (these are connected to the audio interface and give you the most reliable sound you can get, especially when mixing your songs)
for cheap ones i recommend tannoy

Oh I forgot do you have software to record already?
if not look into DAWS.
good examples are Ableton Live
Cubase , Pro Tools, FL Studio.

thats pretty much it for the beginning

Have fun and read a lot on those 2 topics , after a while it will start making sense.
Thanks for all the help, I'm doing some research now! But I still have a problem, even if I get this audio interface, how can I record with my classic (no pickup) guitar?
Quote by Duarteman
The soundcard I mentioned is different, have a look here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multimedia/display/audigy2-platinum-ex.html

But what interfaces do you recommend?

Hmm, thats interesting. couldnt find the specs on it this morning, so i just kinda figured it was like the rest of the soundblaster stuff. guess i was wrong

im still not sure i would go with that. it looks pretty interesting, but with no xlr in i would still pass on it myself. its got a bunch of stuff you probably wont use, and doesnt really have everything you will (probably) need.

to record just guitar, the line 6 pod studio gx is the cheap solution i like. simple interface with one guitar input, but i leaves you just recording your electric with amp sims.

for a bit more, the m-audio fast track mkII is my recomendation. it has an xlr input now for a mic, and phantom power for a condensor mic. this interface is a good balance of cheap and options.

for closer to 150 GBP, something like the focusrite saffire 6 or m-audio fast track pro would be some starting points. both have 2 xlr inputs, midi i/o, phantom power and some other stuff. this is the point you open up your options a lot more and get start getting into comparing features a bit. most of the stuff below this price point is fairly similar in the number and types of inputs.

i wouldnt worry about monitors right away. while they are a great idea if you want to get a good mix, ones worth buying are expensive. and will kill your wallet if you are looking to stay cheap.
Quote by Duarteman
Thanks for all the help, I'm doing some research now! But I still have a problem, even if I get this audio interface, how can I record with my classic (no pickup) guitar?

damn, i assumed you had an electric.
To record an acoustic you will have to use a separate microphone that goes into the audio interface.

as for the m audio interface, i would save up a bit more and go into the 150 euro category but if you cant wait or youre on a budget check the forums dedictaed to recording, they have reviews with more depth and lots of experience and will give you a better idea of the pros and cons.

However my first tought!!
Dont buy that since you might want and need a phantom powered mic: (especially now that we know that you plan to record your acoustic guitar)

heres a good eg from the M-Audio line and same site :
http://www.thomann.de/de/maudio_fast_track.htm

(I have no experience with that M-Audio interface , however l ive heard they make good interfaces, im just showing you an alternative you might want to consider and an example of what I mean by phantom power

If youre willing to go into the 150 eur category I could give you a couple suggestions, because a new world opens up.

Read as much as you can and then ask away any doubts.

Rock on
Last edited by Slashiepie at Apr 19, 2011,
I don't think I will ever need Phantom power, at least for now... I'm looking for some decent quality recording material but I don't need professional stuff. I'm sick of recording with the camera's built in mic or the skype mic, now that's some garbage lol!

I don't even have a band, I just want to record some improvs and make some videos (playing electric stuff and classic pieces) to put on youtube. I really don't want to spend more than 100$ for the whole package.

Since that M-Audio interface has a XLR input, I could buy a mic and the classic/acoustic recording thing was solved connecting the mic directly into the interface.

http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Computer/Hardware-for-guitarists/Behringer-UCG-102-GUITAR-LINK-USB-Audio-Interface/art-PCM0006493-000

Is this any good?
Quote by Duarteman
Have a look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eusSvzN9zqQ&feature=related

The quality is not bad at all for 30 bucks, I don't want/need better quality than this... That guy says he has no latency problems, he's using the ASIO drivers.

And I can connect the mic if I use a XLR to Jack converter.

The quality is great

However have in mind you wont get that sound because he is using guitar rig 4...
which means he has no microphone outside, the guitar is pluged directly into the audio interface needless to say you cant do that with an acoustic, and you will need a somewhat better microphone, try to find a good one that would work for you before commiting to the interface

hope it helps
Last edited by Slashiepie at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by Slashiepie
The quality is great

However have in mind you wont get that sound because he is using guitar rig 4...
which means he has no microphone outside, the guitar is pluged directly into the audio interface needless to say you cant do that with an acoustic, and you will need a somewhat better microphone, try to find a good one that would work for you before commiting to the interface

hope it helps

I can connect the mic to the interface using a XLR to Jack converter right? I might buy a Shure SM57, it's a good one isn't it?
Quote by Duarteman
I can connect the mic to the interface using a XLR to Jack converter right? I might buy a Shure SM57, it's a good one isn't it?

It should work, the quality should be decent for what you want to do
never used the SM57 or such a "configuration"
but judging by the specs it will do the work..

if youre sure you can plug it in with the adapter and get a good quality try it out, should you not dig it, just send it back.

WIsh you luck!
Have fun
Last edited by Slashiepie at Apr 21, 2011,
I ordered the guitar link mentioned in my last post, you find that on ebay for only 10 bucks. I'm going to try that out and see if it's good or not.