Good day everyone!
Does anyone know of any affordable MIDI guitar solution on the market.

I came up with the following after searching on Google.

The YouRock Guitar by Inspired Instruments (around $200)
Fender's Rock Band 3 Stratocaster (around $400)
Yamaha's EZ-AG and EZ-Eg (around $300)
A+ MIDI Guitar Controller App for the iPhone & iPod Touch by WKode (Around $10)

If you have any of the above, what are your experiences with them? Are they worth buying?

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.
I think you're better off with a real guitar than any of those, I don't see much of a point of a MIDI guitar at all, personally.
But I desperately want one so I can capture my notes into Guitar Pro 6.0. I hate inputting every note by hand using the number pad. It takes 10 hour or more for one song.
The one for rock band.

>___>
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by musikenthusiast
But I desperately want one so I can capture my notes into Guitar Pro 6.0. I hate inputting every note by hand using the number pad. It takes 10 hour or more for one song.

To answer the MIDI question then, I'd say Rock Band. It's $124.40 on Amazon. As for the notes with Guitar Pro, learn the shortcuts. For example (Not sure about GP6, but in GP5) the "C" key will copy that note to the after the last note on that track. Unless you're tabbing a guitar solo then rhythm is easy to tab, it's all copy and paste. Another tip is to turn on the keyboard and guitar fretboard and just click the notes. I find it a lot easier to use the numbers than a midi controller because you have to go back and edit the times, so while your hands are already there, you can edit the times.

I mean, my advice is save your money if you're just doing it for GP tabbing, but to answer your question, I'd go with Rock Band probably.
Last edited by Sief9 at Apr 17, 2011,
Has anyone tried the iPhone app? I have an iPhone and was tempted to get it but I would like to hear your experiences first.

By the way, I'm new here. Is it possible to post external links like youtube video link here? Thanks.
Quote by musikenthusiast
Has anyone tried the iPhone app? I have an iPhone and was tempted to get it but I would like to hear your experiences first.

By the way, I'm new here. Is it possible to post external links like youtube video link here? Thanks.

Dunno bout the first bit put just copy and paste the link into your post for the links and stuff.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I was talking about the latest Fender Squier... it's $400+ at Amazon.
I know and use most of the shortcuts in Guitar Pro 6.0 and it still take a long time to tab a song because I have to keep referring to a real guitar because I can't remember all the notes in the song. I figure a MIDI guitar will let me play the whole song through and then I'd just have to fix the duration of some notes.

Quote by Sief9
To answer the MIDI question then, I'd say Rock Band. It's $124.40 on Amazon. As for the notes with Guitar Pro, learn the shortcuts. For example (Not sure about GP6, but in GP5) the "C" key will copy that note to the after the last note on that track. Unless you're tabbing a guitar solo then rhythm is easy to tab, it's all copy and paste. Another tip is to turn on the keyboard and guitar fretboard and just click the notes. I find it a lot easier to use the numbers than a midi controller because you have to go back and edit the times, so while your hands are already there, you can edit the times.

I mean, my advice is save your money if you're just doing it for GP tabbing, but to answer your question, I'd go with Rock Band probably.
Quote by musikenthusiast
I was talking about the latest Fender Squier... it's $400+ at Amazon.
I know and use most of the shortcuts in Guitar Pro 6.0 and it still take a long time to tab a song because I have to keep referring to a real guitar because I can't remember all the notes in the song. I figure a MIDI guitar will let me play the whole song through and then I'd just have to fix the duration of some notes.

Well what I do is refer to the on-screen fretboard and hit the notes where I think it's at and judge the sound from there. Overall it doesn't seem like a problem if you're going to figure out a riff, then you're going to memorize that riff and tab it out. If you're doing it note-by-note then that's inefficient in my opinion. I don't mean to sound like a dick or try to bash you down or anything, so don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to see if I can save you money by making you see other solutions you might not of thought of, y'know?

As for the Squier one, a quote from a review: "The Rock Band 3 Fender Squier is a Best Buy exclusive and can be purchased in stores or on their website for $279.99," So there's the pricing for that. It sounds overall solid, I don't think there's much wrong with it. The YouRock one looks more gimmicky and childish in my opinion and an iPhone one? That overall just sounds inefficient. You'll be better off with something that has more of a guitar feel. So once again I'd probably go with the Rock Band one.

Quote by musikenthusiast
I found this tutorial on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KfyWyoR_2c
What are your thoughts? Thanks

Like I said before, that still looks like it takes just as much time as if you used a keyboard; unless you were using one hand on the keyboard and one hand on the device than that actually might be useful. If you know the riff then you know the tab to it and you can tab it out. I still would prefer using the arrow keys and numbers, you tend to naturally develop a technique over time I think to where you can do it fast. But whatever works for you I suppose. The way I see it is what you're doing is you're either inputting notes and then editing them, or you're editing the notes while you input them.
Last edited by Sief9 at Apr 17, 2011,
Dude, with hotkeys I can write about 20-25 pages of music an hour in Guitar Pro. Look at the hotkey map, memorize it. It really isn't that much of a burden.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
That is impressive. 25 pages in an hour. Are you talking about solo riffs or classical compositions? If you have a youtube tutorial, I'd love to watch you do your thing. I will check out the hotkey map. Thanks for your advice.

Quote by Karlboy
Dude, with hotkeys I can write about 20-25 pages of music an hour in Guitar Pro. Look at the hotkey map, memorize it. It really isn't that much of a burden.
Quote by Sief9
I think you're better off with a real guitar than any of those, I don't see much of a point of a MIDI guitar at all, personally.

I've been looking around for MIDI guitar controllers to use for creating electronic music, as it's incredibly tedious and fun-sucking to type every note on the piano grid, and I'm much better with a guitar than a keyboard. That's one useful application of a guitar-simulating MIDI controller.
No worries man. I appreciate all your suggestions.
Amazon resellers are ripping people off... I saw it listed for $400+. DAMN!

I have over 300 original arrangements of popular songs in my head. I can play them easily but being able to play them and knowing each note's fret number is a whole different thing. I tend to forget how the song goes if I'm constantly interrupted while playing it. So that's why I'm asking for a MIDI solution so I can play the whole thing through and just fix the duration of some notes.

Looking at a fretboard in your hand is very different from looking at it on the computer screen. So locating all the notes get confusing and takes time.

Quote by Sief9
The way I see it is what you're doing is you're either inputting notes and then editing them, or you're editing the notes while you input them.

I guess I'm the first type mentioned in your post.

Thanks so much for your time.

Quote by Sief9
Well what I do is refer to the on-screen fretboard and hit the notes where I think it's at and judge the sound from there. Overall it doesn't seem like a problem if you're going to figure out a riff, then you're going to memorize that riff and tab it out. If you're doing it note-by-note then that's inefficient in my opinion. I don't mean to sound like a dick or try to bash you down or anything, so don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to see if I can save you money by making you see other solutions you might not of thought of, y'know?

As for the Squier one, a quote from a review: "The Rock Band 3 Fender Squier is a Best Buy exclusive and can be purchased in stores or on their website for $279.99," So there's the pricing for that. It sounds overall solid, I don't think there's much wrong with it. The YouRock one looks more gimmicky and childish in my opinion and an iPhone one? That overall just sounds inefficient. You'll be better off with something that has more of a guitar feel. So once again I'd probably go with the Rock Band one.

Like I said before, that still looks like it takes just as much time as if you used a keyboard; unless you were using one hand on the keyboard and one hand on the device than that actually might be useful. If you know the riff then you know the tab to it and you can tab it out. I still would prefer using the arrow keys and numbers, you tend to naturally develop a technique over time I think to where you can do it fast. But whatever works for you I suppose. The way I see it is what you're doing is you're either inputting notes and then editing them, or you're editing the notes while you input them.
I'm on the same boat as you.

I found a few more videos from the same guy. Look pretty fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoKRIP0EV2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PozWQ2J_2Dw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ypurPve2DY

I'm thinking of getting it myself. Just wanted to see if anyone has tried it out.

Quote by SlayingDragons
I've been looking around for MIDI guitar controllers to use for creating electronic music, as it's incredibly tedious and fun-sucking to type every note on the piano grid, and I'm much better with a guitar than a keyboard. That's one useful application of a guitar-simulating MIDI controller.