I'm looking for an amp and a head, nothing too big. This'll be my first I'll be playing small gigs, and will be practicing with my band with it as well. Will be playing an 8 string through it too.

I WAS looking at an Engl Gigmaster 15 (OMG eargasm) for $900, but it seems "too good" for me. Sounds gorgeous, but I don't know how much playing I'll get out of it before it sits for years. I was also looking at a Blackstar 2x12 cab for about $340. I wouldn't mind getting the cab, 2x12 seems like enough.

I am willing to go used, will be going to Winnipeg, MB for the weekend, budget I'd like to keep at about $600. Will mainly be playing heavier alt-rock, very power-chord-y, but I'm supposed to be playing lead. I like the Engl tone I got in the store when I tried it, but I can't really find any artists I have that sounds like that.

**Unless I can get a decent 2x12 combo for $900 or so. That is definitely an option**

Currently have a Schecter C1, and a Traynor DG30D. Will be getting a Septor 828.

Thanks guys.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
A JSX should be great, I think. Would have more than enough gain for rock and pretty versatile too.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
i personaly think u should buy a peavey amp
depending on wich way ur using it if its just a playing amp get a vypyr 120 watt
right now i have a 75 watt vypyr with the sanpera 1 pedal terrific sound btw
and if u need a cab get the ValveKing 412 (also from peavey )i used to under estimate peavey amps and just love line 6 amps but after buying a peavey amp i thinnk im gunna keep buying them therre good for the money and if ur interested in one go to http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/amplifiers/heads and
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/amplifiers/cabinets
Not getting the VK. And definitely not a 4x12 version, and DEFINITELY not a modelling amp. I've been playing for a bit, 2 years, and I like messing with my EQ to get different tones.

And gundam, JSX head or combo? The combo is over budget. I could get my original rig for about that.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I was looking at the Blackstar HT-60 Combo, but for $300 more, Ican get the Engl and a blackstar cab.

What would the limit be on like a venue size/people for that 15 watt Engl? It was pretty loud...
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive