Was wondering if anyone would help me pick a new distortion pedal. I really have no idea about them so im kinda lost cause theres alot to pick from. I really like the sound of layered smooth distortion. The kind you hear in deftones songs like change, be quiet and drive, rx queen ect. i also like the band Hums use of distortion. Iwould be running it through a B-52 tube amp.
Get an overdrive...like the Fulltone OCD. If you have to have distortion, get a Jekyll and Hyde, or an Expandora.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
I really like my Boss Metal Zone; I run it through a Marshall MG30FX amp
ESP LTD MH-350FR
Squier Affinity Strat
Marshall MG30FX
BOSS Metal Zone
Dunlop Original Crybaby
I think you should get an overdrive. You can't go wrong with a TS9 or an OCD.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

isnt an overdrive more for classic rock type stuff cause it doesnt have as much gain? sorry noob here
Quote by Parr
isnt an overdrive more for classic rock type stuff cause it doesnt have as much gain? sorry noob here

Only if you use it on the clean channel. If you use it on your lead channel, it will make the tone tighter and it will push your amp a bit more.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by FRACTUREDx2
Get an overdrive...like the Fulltone OCD. If you have to have distortion, get a Jekyll and Hyde, or an Expandora.

OCDs don't make very good boosts, imo. A lot of people like tubescreamers because they boost the mids and cut out some of the bass (but thats the same reason some people don't like them). The Way Huge Green Rhino is kind of a tubescreamerish pedal but it doesn't take away your low end and gives you more control over the mids.

Also look into boost pedals like the EHX LPB-1, Xotic AC/RC booster/BB preamp, MXR Microamp, etc.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
OCDs don't make very good boosts, imo. A lot of people like tubescreamers because they boost the mids and cut out some of the bass (but thats the same reason some people don't like them). The Way Huge Green Rhino is kind of a tubescreamerish pedal but it doesn't take away your low end and gives you more control over the mids.

Also look into boost pedals like the EHX LPB-1, Xotic AC/RC booster/BB preamp, MXR Microamp, etc.

Honestly, I have no exp with the OCD. I've just heard that they're great OD pedals.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by i_am_metalhead

I think that's more with people who don't feel like EQing for the loss in bass, when I switch on my TS9 I actually get alot more usable low end than if I just pushed the gain real hard.
Quote by OliOsbourne
Honestly, I have no exp with the OCD. I've just heard that they're great OD pedals.

Great OD pedals, not good boosts pedals.

People often think that overdrive pedals were designed to push your amp into overdrive, but they were actually designed to replicated the tone of an overdriven amp. It was later discovered that you could push your amp harder by cranking the output on an OD pedal which boosts the signal going into the amp.

Boost pedals are designed specifically to boost your amp and get more tube saturation.
ah ok i think i understand. I will check out some overdrive and boost pedals then
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Great OD pedals, not good boosts pedals.

People often think that overdrive pedals were designed to push your amp into overdrive, but they were actually designed to replicated the tone of an overdriven amp. It was later discovered that you could push your amp harder by cranking the output on an OD pedal which boosts the signal going into the amp.

Boost pedals are designed specifically to boost your amp and get more tube saturation.

I heard they were good so I just assumed...
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by ethan_hanus
I think that's more with people who don't feel like EQing for the loss in bass, when I switch on my TS9 I actually get alot more usable low end than if I just pushed the gain real hard.

Its not a lack of EQing. If you look at the EQ curve of at TS-9 it has a mid hump (it naturally produces a lot of mids and not very much lows or highs). The reason it makes your bass more usable is because its taking some low end away and tightening up the natural sag from the powertubes. If you would compare an EQ chart of your amp by itself to your amp with a TS-9 in front of it you would see that there is less low end with the TS-9 on.
+1 on OCD's not being great boosts. the only amp i have ever used my OCD with that worked great with the OCD as a boost was believe it or not the Egnater Renegade. it sounded better that way than an 808.

if you insist on distortion, get a fulltone gt-500, they are great pedals, and you can stack the OD with the distortion if you want to.

IMO they don't get enough mention on here.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Okay, first two pages aside

Boss BD-2. For a good pedal.
Keeley mod it for a great pedal.

Edit: don't worry about fuzz/dist/od distinction too much. Its all the same-ish in the end, so just mix n match. Try to collect several types of distortion and experiment with it. Find ur own tone. Hook em all up and season to flavor. Sometimes two terrible effects combine to make a nice one.
-Your shadow of doubt.
Last edited by phuckoph at Apr 18, 2011,
i love my ocd as a boost... works great for me haha
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
TS: Get an overdrive.

Run the volume wide open, gain at 0. That's how you properly use an OD these days .
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--