I was thinking about this today, and wondered, why don't they use glass as a nut material? I mean, it's a very hard and dense material, resonates very well, does not wear, and can be extremely smooth, not to mention kinda cool looken.

So, anybody ever heard of a glass nut, or do you think it would even work well?
I imagine the strings would cut it up.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem
Its quite brittle, would be a lot harder to make than a bone nut, can have very sharp points.
Not really worth it just for a nut. Plus you can't really file glass, it just cracks and chips out.
Depending on the kind of glass, it could shatter rather easily. It'd be under a ****ton of tension too, so something that produces very sharp shards exploding at high tension...

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
Depending on the kind of glass, it could shatter rather easily. It'd be under a ****ton of tension too, so something that produces very sharp shards exploding at high tension...

no it wouldn't. I think a glass nut would work provided you could manufacture it well. Which would be extremely difficult, especially if you were gonna try and do it at home or something.
Glass would probably work provided you could make it into a nut. I recon plexiglass would work well too, it's easier to make and people already use it in guitar bodies.
Last edited by matt154 at Apr 18, 2011,
The kinda glass I'm talking about is like coke bottle glass, and it doesn't really have sharp edges unless you break it, I've seen glass eroded by water to the point where it's silk smooth.

Plexi glass wont work cause it's soft, it's not really a glass material, and you can wear it and damage it quickly.

I know the nut slot would have to be perfectly flat in order to not crack the glass nut, but the slots could be eched in with a dremel or something and polished into a smooth finish. Glass is very easy to work with when you get it hot.

I'm just thinking glass would work great because it is practically a frictionless surface when met with a round piece of metal.
Lexan (polycarbonate) would probably work. I suggested plexi because it's harder than the plastics people currently use as a nut and transparent. I recon if you could make a glass nut while it's still hot with slots and everything and minimise any cutting or carving, that would make it less brittle and it could work fine.
I'm just thinking glass would work great because it is practically a frictionless surface when met with a round piece of metal

Guitar strings aren't round they are covered in a shitload of little grooves.
Quote by T7E
Guitar strings aren't round they are covered in a shitload of little grooves.

Yes, but everything is round, there's a reason why they call them round wound strings, they can have a hex or round shaped core wire, and the wire they wrap around the core is completely round if they are round wound strings.

Plus, it wouldn't really be any different than any other nut, it's just the material that changes.
TS.. your idea for a glass nut is possible but not efficient. Glass is at it's peak of strength when it is whole. You need to consider that simply scoring a piece of glass is enough to break it along that score line so having a notch cut into it for your strings and the pressure of the strings pushing down on it will most likely crack the nut. Your best option, if you're really interested in attempting this, is to used tempered or laminated glass. Whatever you do though, DO NOT heat the glass up to work it. Heating up tempered or laminated glass will cause it to loose it's strength. Instead, try using diamond coated files to make the notches for your strings. (This is the part where it gets less efficient... diamond files are $$$$$!!) Hope this points you in the right direction. Good luck with it though, and ifyou do attempt it, let me know how it turns out.
only way to probably do this would be to have a mass production of nuts, made one size fits all in molds and molten glass used? then use flat wounds, and no tremolo. probably on a short scale guitar for less tension. my 22.5 inch scale duo sonic fits the bill :p
I think that if the grooves were 'forged' in while the glass was hot, as opposed to cut and polished, that there would be less chance of breaking. After being formed, the glass would have to be tempered, but once it is tempered, glass can be Very Strong. It seems like a lot more work than making a metal nut.
String vibrations would cause it to chip away eventually if it wasnt made properly since its extremely brittle. Since the nut only needs to be hard enough to not wear away easily under the strings, theres no real point in having something that hard. The only thing one could use that is similar would be diamond or hardend metals like tungsten carbide, both of which are overly expensive for something as simple as a guitar nut.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Geez this has stirred up plenty of interest, i recon someone needs to actually give it a bash. How about it TS?
I don't think it would work well at all. It's going to be a bitch to try and make and then once you do make it, it's probably not going to stand up very well to constant vibration from the strings...
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by JD2k9
Not sure about glass, but Obsidian would be a ****ing brilliant if it's anything like in minecraft....

Maybe, it's a lot like flint, and that it chips away in very sharp chunks, don't know if you could ever get a round edge on it, it is very hard, and doesn't chip easy.
Quote by Metalfan41
String vibrations would cause it to chip away eventually if it wasnt made properly since its extremely brittle. Since the nut only needs to be hard enough to not wear away easily under the strings, theres no real point in having something that hard. The only thing one could use that is similar would be diamond or hardend metals like tungsten carbide, both of which are overly expensive for something as simple as a guitar nut.

do this and you are instantly a god!
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
You could use basic Mineralogy to figure this out.
Find out the Hardness of glass on Moh's scale.
How many cleavages does it have?
How many fractures does it have?

I believe Glass is around the middle of Moh's scale. Don't quote me on that though, I don't do too well in Earth Science class.

If you could get your hands on some diamond, that'd be amazing. According to Moh it's the hardest material in the world.
..I was watching my death.
I think glass would be a great nut material. I'm going to guess that the reason it's not used is 2 fold.

1 shaping it would be expensive?
2 how to you attach it to the guitar?

I know it would be possible to attach it and to shape it but with the other good materials we have, I think that nobody has bothered with glass. I'd like to see it but I doubt I ever will.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW

2 how to you attach it to the guitar?

Oh hey Skwisgaar!
..I was watching my death.
Quote by JD2k9
Not sure about glass, but Obsidian would be a ****ing brilliant if it's anything like in minecraft....

Obsidian is volcanic glass, nothing remotely close to what it is in Minecraft. It only breaks apart into flakes and shards, not good for anything other than jewlery.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by timbit2006
Oh hey Skwisgaar!

I'm using a UK laptop with different size keys and everything is in the wrong place. Go easy on me and my typos.

and if that isn't what you were laughing at then I have no idea what you were getting at.
Quote by Metalfan41
Obsidian is volcanic glass, nothing remotely close to what it is in Minecraft. It only breaks apart into flakes and shards, not good for anything other than jewlery.

Well the Aztecs forged an empire based on an army armed with obsidian. The blades reputedly could decapitate a horse. Or you know cut out the beating heart of your human sacrifice
Quote by matt154
Lexan (polycarbonate) would probably work. I suggested plexi because it's harder than the plastics people currently use as a nut and transparent. I recon if you could make a glass nut while it's still hot with slots and everything and minimise any cutting or carving, that would make it less brittle and it could work fine.

Lexan would definitely work. Infact I kind've want to make a Lexan nut, now.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by JD2k9

I have some obsidian I planned on making frets with...
Quote by CorduroyEW
I'm using a UK laptop with different size keys and everything is in the wrong place. Go easy on me and my typos.

and if that isn't what you were laughing at then I have no idea what you were getting at.

You ever watched Metalocalypse?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by CorduroyEW

When you say everything is in the wrong place, you mean the " and the @ sign lol. Seriously though i didn't see any typos. He was on the "who NOT to listen to" list though so that should tell you all you need to know...
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
^I don't know how most British keyboards are but this laptop has a lot more than 2 keys moved around. It has a lot more keys in general, the shift and enter buttons are a different shape, but what makes it really tough is that all the keys are smaller and I've been typing on the same keyboard for 8 years so everything is in the wrong place for touch typing.

and not having been here for several months I guess I missed out on the individual I was for some reason compared to so I still don't really get the joke. Oh well...
Quote by matt154
Glass would probably work provided you could make it into a nut. I recon plexiglass would work well too, it's easier to make and people already use it in guitar bodies.

They already do that on cheap guitars it's called plastic
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier