We all know to bring backups of everything you can to gigs. This is an example why. I had a few country gigs Friday/Saturday this past weekend. On Saturday, a few minutes before we're supposed to start the second set, I go to tune up my Tele...and nothing. Guitar volume up? Check. All cables still connected? Check. Wireless unit ok? Check. Damn. Oh well. I look to my guitar rack, grab my trusty Les Paul Standard that I brought to backup the Tele. Plug in. Tune up. Tweak the amp EQ a bit. Play the rest of the night without a hitch.

Today, I take a few minutes to diagnose the Tele and find this:

No wonder it didn't work. Only took a few minutes to fix, but this is why you always bring backups of everything you can to gigs. I actually feel lucky that this happened between sets, and not mid-song.

Just thought you fellow gigging musicians could appreciate this.
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster
Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR, Vintage Fender Twin Reverb (early SF)
Effects from Wampler, Keeley, and others

Session Guitarist out of Pittsburgh
you probably twisted the jack if you tightened the jack screw. Happens all the time when your not careful.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by JKHC
Oooh, well, might be poor pickup quality, or you were just unlucky that it happened during a gig. Smart of you to bring an extra

pickup quality? Considering thats an output jack...

Good call there OP, although how did the country gig go with an LP?
hoooo, close one.

i do occasional gigs at my college. this one time i had my second guitar tuned down to an open cMaj. i thought i was good to go, unfortunately someone awful stage/guitar tech tuned it back up to standard without my knowing. and there started one of the most embarrassing gigs of my life.

long story short i don't let anyone touch my guitars before a gig.
oh god definitely. my last gig would have been an utter failure without a backup guitar. about 2 songs into my set I broke a killswitch on my main guitar. the switch would still rattle around between on and off and it was near impossible to switch back and forth. lucky I had my spare, (and an acoustic if shit really hit the fan)

the headliners broke a string on his SG and didn't have a backup. I was kind enough to lend him my backup for the set, but i just don't understand why people only bring 1 guitar. (if they have more than 1 which he did)

My motto is 'if ya got it, bring it'
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by kangaxxter
you probably twisted the jack if you tightened the jack screw. Happens all the time when your not careful.

Ahhh...thanks for the heads up. Now that you said this, I'm betting this is exactly what happened. I'm suprised this hasn't happened sooner, as I often need to give the jack nut a little tighten.

Quote by hawk5211
Good call there OP, although how did the country gig go with an LP?

It actually went pretty well. I turned the treble up and bass down on the amp, and it sounded really good the rest of the night. There were a lot of songs where I was missing the Tele tone...but I'm sure the crowd probably didn't even know I switched guitars

Quote by jsync
hoooo, close one.

i do occasional gigs at my college. this one time i had my second guitar tuned down to an open cMaj. i thought i was good to go, unfortunately someone awful stage/guitar tech tuned it back up to standard without my knowing. and there started one of the most embarrassing gigs of my life.

Oh man..why would he touch your guitar without talking to you

Quote by the_perdestrian
the headliners broke a string on his SG and didn't have a backup. I was kind enough to lend him my backup for the set, but i just don't understand why people only bring 1 guitar. (if they have more than 1 which he did)

That was nice of you to help him out. I don't understand it either. It's so easy for something to go wrong...even something as simple as a broken string can stop a show in it's tracks!
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Last edited by blkdtr at Apr 17, 2011,
I have had the exact same thing happen before (though, I know exactly who busted my guitar...). major pain in the ass

it seems that I almost never have issues when I bring a backup (or 3). but the odd gig where there just wasn't any room left in the truck or its a super sketchy part of town and I only have one guitar, everything goes wrong. always bring backups (and a backup amp if you can!)
That's why I bring doubles of my guitars and basses when I go gigging.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by the_perdestrian

Do you pay for an extra Van ? Cuz i need some more amps with me a few extra guitars and pedals
Quote by jsync
hoooo, close one.

I expect you killed the shit out of that idiot, didn't you?
I have no sig
And if you have active pickups, carry a spare battery! So simple, but you can be left so desperate and there will NOT be one available anywhere else whenf you need it.
Quote by krehzeekid
it seems that I almost never have issues when I bring a backup (or 3). but the odd gig where there just wasn't any room left in the truck or its a super sketchy part of town and I only have one guitar, everything goes wrong. always bring backups (and a backup amp if you can!)

Truth. I own a few small 1x12 combos, and I bring one of them to every gig as a back up. I just keep them on stage behind my main amp, ready to be fired up and mic'd if necessary.

Quote by RebuildIt
And if you have active pickups, carry a spare battery! So simple, but you can be left so desperate and there will NOT be one available anywhere else whenf you need it.

I don't have active pickups in any of my guitars, but I do travel with a lot of extra batteries for my wireless transmitter...same principle!
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard

i bet the paul did just fine.

i laugh when people think the les paul isn't a good guitar for country. lesters are good for most genres.

glad it was just the jack on the tele.
Quote by RebuildIt

I use rechargeables and a few spares and the charger are part of the load-out.
Yeah two Fridays ago my band played a show, and my fellow guitarist's Ibanez's locking nuts fell out. I was so excited to play and show off my new LTD EC-256, but he needed another guitar. Since he plays more of a lead role, I lent him my guitar, and I rocked out with my semi-hollow body. I always bring two guitars!
Gear List

2002 Gibson SG Faded
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50

Gas List

Gibson Firebird