Page 1 of 2
I was in english class last year and a local concert was mentioned. someone asked who was playing and I told them. she responded 'i don't go see any band that i don't have a cd of.'

anyone have any others?
no sir away a papaya war is on
People telling me that 4'33 by john cage is art. And my one friend saying that anything without guitars is boring and shouldn't be listened to.
"Music was so much better back in the day," or any other similar statement.

^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
"I don't like anything you can't dance to"

Paraphrased
Check out my band Disturbed
"How can a song not have words? Whats the point?"
Eschquipment:
Epiphone SG400
Peavy Vypr 30 watt
Dean Vendetta XM

and thats about it...
Quote by Arca301

Oh my God this.

"I don't care about a song as long as the lyrics are good".
Quote by Arca301

This is an actual asked of me, "So how can you tell if a song is any good if it doesn't have any words?"
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
"what? what do you mean there are songs longer than 5 minutes? who would want to listen to songs that are too long? i've never heard of songs lasting that long!"
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
I was at a show where literally every band was crappy screamo/deathcore type stuff. But one of the band's guitarists decided to play a nice bluesy lick when they were checking their stuff before their set, and some douche in the audience yelled a sarcastic remark to him about it.
"classical sucks"
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Lost Dog
People telling me that 4'33 by john cage is art. And my one friend saying that anything without guitars is boring and shouldn't be listened to.

people saying that it isn't art.
Quote by btones
People who say electronic music isn't "real" music. What is "real" music?

Real music isn't just pressing a bunch of buttons, duh.

Quote by NothingRocks
Every time an elitist or a purist from any genre speaks about music.

But all-in-all, this. It doesn't matter what genre, band, era, whatever.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Apr 18, 2011,
People from bands that can scream and do growls and call themselves singers.
Quote by rockingamer2
"Music was so much better back in the day," or any other similar statement.

This x100
"Rock music is dying fast, trust me man, start listening to electronic music"

Another one. Slightly paraphrased.
I don't feel bad for the arts. There are still plenty of people who appreciate it. Look at us.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
It's cool if you don't like screaming in music. But if your argument for doing so is because "you can't understand what they're saying", and better yet if you're a fan of Pearl Jam or Nirvana or the like, you're an idiot.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by JTNorquay
People from bands that can scream and do growls and call themselves singers.

I don't see what the problem is. If you're going to get technical it would be clean vocals, not singing. That's like saying you hate people from bands who use distortion but call themselves guitarists.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I don't see what the problem is. If you're going to get technical it would be clean vocals, not singing. That's like saying you hate people from bands who use distortion but call themselves guitarists.

Fact is, you still need to be a good guitarist to sound good with distortion. You don't need to be a good singer to be able to scream.

Sure doing it properly is somewhat hard but it isn't on the same level as hitting all the right notes in a vocal melody and having a straight pitch.
Quote by Sief9
Fact is, you still need to be a good guitarist to sound good with distortion. You don't need to be a good singer to be able to scream.

Sure doing it properly is somewhat hard but it isn't on the same level as hitting all the right notes in a vocal melody and having a straight pitch.

I disagree, as much as i hate modern screams/growly stuff those guys are still hitting the notes and it takes a great deal of skill to be able to do what they do properly.

again not a fan of the music, but those guys are great vocalists and if you really want to get down to it, a lot great rock singers weren't good singers in the classical sense.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by wizards?
Anytime I hear, "Anything but Country and Rap", I die a little inside.

I hear it a lot

exactly what I was going to say
Quote by Sief9
Oh my God this.

This can be 100% true

shit songs with great lyrics are probably my favorite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_7Fhk3KcM4
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by the_perdestrian
I disagree, as much as i hate modern screams/growly stuff those guys are still hitting the notes and it takes a great deal of skill to be able to do what they do properly.

again not a fan of the music, but those guys are great vocalists and if you really want to get down to it, a lot great rock singers weren't good singers in the classical sense.

This.

Just like there are shitty singers who some people think are awesome, there are shitty growlers and screamers that people think are amazing. It takes just as much skill to properly execute the range of techniques used by Metal vocalists.

I mean, I can hit notes in a vocal melody and I'm an awful singer. I can't scream worth shit without shredding my throat which means I'm not executing it correctly. Don't bash it just because you don't like it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by btones
People who say electronic music isn't "real" music. What is "real" music?

Thiiiiiiiiiiis
cat
Quote by the_perdestrian

This, difference being that I love the music.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
"Art is fun and enjoyable, I can't take anyone who pursues it as a career seriously."

"Your dream of becoming a famous musician is childish, that's never gonna happen." (the person telling me this claimed her highest goal was to win a Nobel prize)

oh and the worst thing:

"Drummers are the sexiest musicians, everybody plays guitar and piano is kinda gay."

when people say "this is a great song" when it obviously isn't, then when asked whats so great about the song they say "oh i like the beat" ..... or chorus people, the people who just want the chorus looped for 3 minutes, you know who you are.

imo these are the people responsible for the current nature of the music industry.
"Why would I want to listen to music you have to be high to enjoy?"
- Opinion on classic rock of my friend. He's saying the lyrics make no sense...
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Quote by Sief9
Oh my God this.

Not sure if this makes me a twat, but I'm the opposite of this. I (usually) don't give a shite about the lyrics, I just like to hear the music.

But alot of what I listen to everyday is instrumental anyway, this may be why.
"Why would anyone listen to that?"
"That's not music"
"Can't you listen to normal music?"
"Metal is the devil/satan music"
"Metal is just screaming and noise"
I have no qualm whatsoever with anyone so long as they express their opinion AS an opinion, and have at least given some degree of open-mindedness to the band/genre/song in question.

But when someone states an opinion as a fact, without giving any resoning beyond "its stupid", said person loses major credibility in my eyes.
Page 1 of 2