I recently got an SG standard for my birthday. (Apparently 20 is "the big one" in Russian culture). Nicest neck I've ever played, but I had problems with it. While it had a nice bite to it, it wasn't what I was looking for and sounded kind of flat at times. Also, the bridge pup had this weird "afterbuzz" to it, which was clearly a defect. The guitar tech at Sam Ash recognized it and I got a full refund (Sam Ash >>>>> Guitar Center). So instead I decided to go with the Gretsch Electromatic G5122 hollowbody and am planning on pimping it out with the money saved. I've always loved the distinct sound of an overdriven hollowbody, so I feel this was a good choice on my part.

I'll get my complaints out first. The only MAJOR one is it's neck heavy. Playing standing up is a pain because my left hand has the added responsibility of holding the thing up. Because I don't gig anymore and am focusing on recording right now, I can live with this. The action is a bit high for my tastes, but otherwise the neck is pretty nice. Compared to the SG, the stock pickups are a bit quiet and tame. But overall it sounds clean and full, which is just what I was looking for. Sustain could be better, but all in all it resonates quite nicely. Cleans sound way better than the SG.

Now for the good. First and formost, it's gorgeous. Anyone who might have doubts about this particular Korean-made instrument can rest assured: nothing feels or looks cheap. The Walnut finish has an elegant look to it, and the hardware is tasteful. I haven't played many Bigsbys, but this one seems pretty decent. Definitely gives me more control than my MIM Strat does.

I mentioned the tone earlier, and as far as I can tell the stock pups are what's holding it back. I have a feeling that once I swap those out, the guitar will really be allowed to sing/growl.

As for the mods I have lined up...

TV Jones pickups: the Classic Plus in the bridge with a Super'Tron for the neck.

A Tru-Arc Bridge, which seems like a pretty genius innovation that would allow not only for a better tone but also a really nice action.

http://www.craigdobbins.com/tru-arc.html

And POSSIBLY a new tremolo arm + spring. I really like those Chet Atkins wire arms, and apparently Electromatics have a weaker spring or something that negatively effects sustain. That could be BS and I'm just remembering that wrong.

But for now, I present you pictures of my new guitar! Despite my constructive criticism, I'm really happy with my purchase and look forward to making it a force to be reckoned with!

Sorry for the crappy lighting pics. If you guys are interested, I can take new ones during the day. Also, if anyone's interested, I took some pics of the SG before I returned her.

Final thoughts: good guitar, potentially AWESOME guitar, and not bad looking either.

P.S. I apologize if any of this post didn't make sense... I've never really had to describe a tone before so my descriptions might be a bit wacky. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to clear anything up to the best of my ability.
She's a beauty!! Nice choice! HNGD!
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
Gorgeous! HNGD!
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.