from some previous posts ive had here i can clearly see that I dont see the current rock situation the way others at ug do.
as far as the history books go the 60's will be remembered for the bands that laid the foundations (beatles, doors, who, sabbath, the dead, the stones etc.)
The 70's are known for harding things up a little and arena sound (Zep, Queen, the police, the clash etc.)
The 80's were hair metal and the 90's where first grunge then alt becoming popular (obviously alt was around in various forms in the 80's but 90's is when it became mainstream)

my two questions are

1. what/who do you think the last decade (2000-2010) will be famous for? (if ur writing an alt band pls expln if/how the scene progressed since the late 90's in ur opinion)

2. Do u think this decade will have a strong original sound/ genre
and if so what?

edit: true i forgot to mention punk's importance in the 70's 80's and 90's but these days so many bands that call themselves punk are really alt and the true punk bands left will never be mainstream (so i think)
Last edited by Eternal Flame at Apr 18, 2011,
1. Pssh, no idea. Probably Lady Gaga or something popular. This decade was more poppy in my opinion.

2. 2011-2020? I think it's going to suck and I'm not looking forward to it.
I came across this band today called Warpaint. I like where they're going.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
TS forgot about punk :/
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
whatever it is, I'll be there to play it in bars and studios for measly sums of money over the next decade, god willing.
#DTWD
I think a lot more stuff is getting electronic.

In theory I like that, but I've found the reason I don't like most Electronica I listen to is because a lot of artists care more about perfect and flashy production over the actual composition of the piece. Generalizing, yeah, but still.
Quote by DempseyPunk
TS forgot about punk :/

TS is talking about mainstream movements. punk is like an endangered species in this.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Apr 18, 2011,
Sand
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Basically two sides of the spectrum really with an incorporation of one major aspect.... more electronica/synth and what not. There is and will be a big bang of pop and then metal will continue to get harder I think in a certain way, but with a bunch of synth involved in the mix like many of the modern metalcore posthardcore bands seem to be throwing in which I kind of like. It's hard to say really, we may see a big cycle start to occur like everything else in the world.
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
Quote by Xiaoxi
I came across this band today called Warpaint. I like where they're going.

they are very good and an all girl band now (used to have Josh Klinghoffer on drums) theyre very different i hope they continue being unique
My Gear:

2010 Fender American Deluxe Sunburst Stratocaster HSS (1st Choice)
Ibanez RG 5EX1 (2nd Choice)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Digitech Time Bender Delay
Boss BF-2 Flanger)
EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi
Quote by Maillouxlp18
Basically two sides of the spectrum really with an incorporation of one major aspect.... more electronica/synth and what not. There is and will be a big bang of pop and then metal will continue to get harder I think in a certain way, but with a bunch of synth involved in the mix like many of the modern metalcore posthardcore bands seem to be throwing in which I kind of like. It's hard to say really, we may see a big cycle start to occur like everything else in the world

i got eatin alive in a diffrent thread for saying that (mainstream) rock is dead b/c it will split btwn pop and metal but that has been my theory (there will always be some good bands somwhere)

ts
Wolfmothers a good rock band with lots of Sabbath/Zepplin,Hendrix influence. We need more new bands that help keep rock alive
wolfmothers 1st album was great, prob the most underrated in the US of the last decade, but they are now a new band except for andrew
questions like this suck because you need time to filter history, that said:
i think the past decade will be remembered as the time rock went into a decline but a few bands (KoL, maybe Foo's) could still steal the show
this coming decade i could see being rocks recooperation time largely in the underground, gearing up for perhaps a surge in popularity once the poppy electric dub step sound becomes boring.
Quote by nathan:-)
Wolfmothers a good rock band with lots of Sabbath/Zepplin,Hendrix influence. We need more new bands that help keep rock alive
lol
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Someone hasn't written about BTBAM yet? I'm disappointed in this board. Hardly any music related topic goes without a post mentioning that band...
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
I think that relentlessly categorizing bands into different genres is contributing to the decline of music as a culture. It doesn't matter if you would consider a band alt or metal or whatever. What matters is whether or not you consider their music to be good.

OT: I believe that music is in a place with a lot of potential. With new media methods becoming more readily available, smaller bands are able to get their name out and get a decent fanbase. Do I think that these bands are good? No, but that doesn't mean that there aren't millions of others elsewhere that think they're good. So good for them.
Quote by Lots O' FX
There's a guy named, I shit you not, Hunter Goldhammer. I have never met him, I only heard his name over the PA, but I assume he's a dwarf paladin.

Quote by skwelcher
I'm like the real life version of the socially awkward penguin.
1. what/who do you think the last decade (2000-2010) will be famous for? (if ur writing an alt band pls expln if/how the scene progressed since the late 90's in ur opinion)

It will be famous for the decline and death of record companies who have been the dominant force in music over the past 50-60 years and the rise of the internet to distribute and promote artists. While in its death throes the industry held on to whatever could make it money, which in this case was bubblegum pop and "pop/punk" (which to me is an oxymoron). So as far as recording artists go, it will probably be known for Britney Spears, Pink, Green Day and a bunch of one hit wonder R&B and pop/punk artists. I guess in the case of metal it will go down as the Slipknot decade - I can't really think of anyone else that had the popularity that they did in the last decade.

and if so what?

I think you will see a lot of original sounding bands with few if any new definitive genres because of the internet. It will be more diverse. A lot of bands that record companies would not have taken the chance on will get their 15 minutes. But if you're looking for the next Metallica, Guns n Roses, Nirvana, or even Green Day you probably won't get it. Record companies threw their money behind those bands after they had had some form of success before on smaller labels. Since the major record companies will probably cease to exist in the next 10 years there won't be any large sums of money to promote bands and shove them down the public's throats, and there will not be other labels looking to rip off those bands by going to Seattle, L.A, San Francisco, or wherever the "scene" is that those bands came from.
Cowbell. We need more of it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by btones
Newer bands will either be new wave-y, like the Killers, or ambient.

I agree with that. I also think it will be remembered as the decade when pop dominated, and rap.
I think bands with that classic sound are a dying breed, unfortunately. I'd personally just like the 60's and 70's to keep happening over and over again
Quote by nathan:-)
We need more new bands that help keep rock alive

I love reading statements like this. They make me feel so much solidarity.

We are...

BROTHERS OF ROCK!

IN ROCK WE TRUST!

ROCK FOR LIFE!

OTHER INANE STATEMENTS!
In terms of 2000-2010, you're going to have your standards just like every other generation has had. Foo Fighters, Tool, etc... are going to be the ones that are remembered for being the rock forerunners. Believing that music in the past was a "golden age" and believing like the only music remembered now will be the pop music is a bit naive.

When Zepplin was selling albums, KISS's disco CD was dropped and the BeeJees were recording. When the 80's glam metal came through, there was a bunch of crappy pop-dance music a la Rick Astley. Every generation has had bad pop music. Just the same as every generation has had good pop music/ <genre> music. The ones that were/are truly talented will/can survive, and the rest will fade into obscurity. When was the last time you even thought of Jessica Simpson's music attempt? Or Ashley Simpson for that matter? Ten years down the road, we'll all laugh about it when it comes up in obscure trivia questions.

As for music in the next 10 years? I think the over-processed music will start to fade in popularity across the board and music will start to become more stripped back. For rock, the raw sound will probably gain some more popularity (Think recordings sounding like they were cut live). Pop music has pretty much always, and will always, be processed, but a new wave will come through. I know dubstep is picking up popularity in my area and become more mainstream. Catchy lyrics and a fast tempo will never go out of style though. Bitches gotta dance :P

Tossing an edit in here:

Bands like STP, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, QOTSA, The Tragically Hip (In Canada at least), etc are all bands that will be pretty much forever remembered like Zepplin, Floyd, CCR, ACDC, Boston, etc will be. It's just focusing less on what is being immediately forced at you, and what has stuck around for a while. When a song still gets played regularly a year after its release, generally it's a good song, unlike the flavour of the week pop songs that are overplayed to exhaustion.
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
Last edited by Devopast at Apr 18, 2011,
Quote by giveawah
I agree with that. I also think it will be remembered as the decade when pop dominated, and rap.
I think bands with that classic sound are a dying breed, unfortunately. I'd personally just like the 60's and 70's to keep happening over and over again

So you're a disco fan, eh?
Quote by hriday_hazarika
Yeah, 'cause only pop has the capacity to be "bad".

When making a comment, be sure to read the entire post before jumping on a single sentence. I was replying to the OP and his apparent dislike of pop music.
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
Airbourne anyone? They're doing their best to keep rock alive.

Rock/Metal music will stay down until the major labels realise the potential of free online distribution and start signing new bands again. But that's just my opinion.
Quote by Devopast
When making a comment, be sure to read the entire post before jumping on a single sentence. I was replying to the OP and his apparent dislike of pop music.

Nope.
Quote by giveawah

Oh dear Christ no. The same sounding bands over and over and over again? No thanks. I like my music to evolve, thank you. I have nothing against that time period, but after the 7,000,000th Led Zep-alike band, I'd start to get sick of it, wouldn't you?
This era will be remembered for the Radioheads and the Tools
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by stoic

It will be famous for the decline and death of record companies who have been the dominant force in music over the past 50-60 years and the rise of the internet to distribute and promote artists. While in its death throes the industry held on to whatever could make it money, which in this case was bubblegum pop and "pop/punk" (which to me is an oxymoron). So as far as recording artists go, it will probably be known for Britney Spears, Pink, Green Day and a bunch of one hit wonder R&B and pop/punk artists. I guess in the case of metal it will go down as the Slipknot decade - I can't really think of anyone else that had the popularity that they did in the last decade.

and if so what?

I think you will see a lot of original sounding bands with few if any new definitive genres because of the internet. It will be more diverse. A lot of bands that record companies would not have taken the chance on will get their 15 minutes. But if you're looking for the next Metallica, Guns n Roses, Nirvana, or even Green Day you probably won't get it. Record companies threw their money behind those bands after they had had some form of success before on smaller labels. Since the major record companies will probably cease to exist in the next 10 years there won't be any large sums of money to promote bands and shove them down the public's throats, and there will not be other labels looking to rip off those bands by going to Seattle, L.A, San Francisco, or wherever the "scene" is that those bands came from.

Dude, your cliched opinion is showing...
True, record labels will only sign if it's gonna make money, but let's have a look at that for a second. If you're a good band who's not making money, there's a problem. Record companies won't touch a band that won't make money because there's a fundamental flaw in the way the band is going about their music. They're not the bad guys.
They palm out money for bands to get music out, distribute and support bands as they travel everywhere, so excuse them for wanting to make their money back once it's all said and done.
If you're bitter because your band or a band you like isn't signed, take a step back and look at it from the commercial appeal. A company isn't going to give you money for nothing, it has to be a two-way deal.

/defending 'the enemy'.
Quote by justin_brodie
questions like this suck because you need time to filter history, that said:
i think the past decade will be remembered as the time rock went into a decline but a few bands (KoL, maybe Foo's) could still steal the show
this coming decade i could see being rocks recooperation time largely in the underground, gearing up for perhaps a surge in popularity once the poppy electric dub step sound becomes boring.

Dubstep poppy? Have you ever actually listened to a dub step track? Far from pop dude
You seem to be thinking from the viewpoint that in the 60s, and in the 70s and in the 80s, people realised what was happening. The forerunners didn't know they were laying foundations for half a century of rock influenced by them. The progressive bands didn't know they were opening up gateways to thousands upon thousands of newcomers in years to follow. They were just doing what they wanted to do, or what their fans wanted them to do, or what their execs wanted them to do, depending on the artist.
Wait a few more years, and we'll be able to look back on the bigger picture of the last decade and analyse what was actually achieved.
Also, you're taking a viewpoint of a clear "classic rock purist". Sure, there were big rock acts around in the 70s and 80s, but for people who were avid fans of disco and the dance music of the time, they probably either didn't care for, or didn't even know about 80% of the rock bands that were their contemporaries. Mostly because they were like you and so many others now. Too closed minded. I'll admit I have no idea who is in the charts right now, and who is getting huge radio play etc etc, but I know who the prominent figures are in our modern pop industry.