Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a new bridge pickup for a (hopefully) upcoming Ibanez RG1451. Bolt on, basswood etc.

I'll be using it for the distorted stuff in modern hard rock songs. Think Breaking Benjamin, Skillet, Sick Puppies. Rhythm and lead stuff. It needs to be defined, clear, and good overall for the chunky stuff in this music. Don't really mind about cleans. And although I'd much prefer cheaper, I can save for bareknuckles or something.

I'll be playing it through my HT-40.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

EDIT: I'll be using it for drop tunings, either drop C or B.
Check out my band! Blues mixed with Indie/Alternative from the UK.
Badlands UK
Last edited by Shredding 4Life at Apr 18, 2011,
JB.

EDIT; its a seymour duncan pickup i use it and it sounds amazing.
look it up.
Last edited by aeromakesmusic at Apr 18, 2011,
Sorry, forgot to mention which ones I'd been looking at. SD JB, bareknuckle Nailbomb, and that was pretty much it so far. Good to hear the JB's good. It's not muddy is it?

On another subject, if I got a covered bareknuckle, would it fit in the guitar without any mods?
Badlands UK
Try a Dimarzio. The Blackout's lead guitarist uses an Ibanez with a Tone Zone in the bridge and it sounds great.
Also, one of the heavier Duncans or Bareknuckles if you're in the UK.
EDIT: ^ Yes, but of course you'd have to wire it up.
What do you mean, wire it up? Sorry, I'm still a noob. I'll probably get my local guitar tech to wire it in, but I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have to cut anything out.
Badlands UK
Ooooh, forgot to add a main point. I'll be using it for drop tunings, either drop C or B.
Badlands UK
Quote by Dennis_SG
SD Pearlygates Trembuck
SD Alnico ll trembuck

Once again, so wrong it's laughable....ignore this fool, he posts the same two models in every pickup thread regardless of what the threadstarter is actually looking for

Best thing to do is wait until you've actually got the guitar, then you'll have a better idea of how the sound needs tweaking, if at all. However, for the sake of argument if it's Dimarzios you're thinking of then you'll most likely be looking at the likes of the Crunch Lab, Breed, D-Sonic and Steve's Special - your main priority is going to be clarity under distortion, but as far as EQ curves and voicing goes that's really all down to your own preference.

Bareknuckles are great but pricey, you're not playing apocalyptic death metal stuff so maybe look at the Painkiller or Warpig as opposed to the Naibomb.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I thought that the nailbomb was the least Br00talz one of those three? Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll look into the DiMarzios and see what I think when I get the guitar.
Badlands UK
Quote by Shredding 4Life

Good to hear the JB's good. It's not muddy is it?

yes

I'm not fussed on the JB, it's kind of a bit of an enigma- it's portrayed as versatile, but because of the tone and heat, it's actually less versatile than supposedly less versatile pickups. If that makes sense. It sorta tries to be all things to all men and ends up (for me anyway) always falling between two (or more like several) stools.

Quote by Shredding 4Life
I thought that the nailbomb was the least Br00talz one of those three? Anyway, thanks for the advice.

that's what I thought too, but the only BKPs I've tried is the MM/CS set.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Shredding 4Life
I thought that the nailbomb was the least Br00talz one of those three? Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll look into the DiMarzios and see what I think when I get the guitar.

It's definitely lower output than the Warpig; that's one of the highest output pups they do and unless the new aftermath is higher it is *the* highest output pup they do as far as I know.

Personally I'd go with the nailbomb but then I'm a bit of a BKP fanboy.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's definitely lower output than the Warpig; that's one of the highest output pups they do and unless the new aftermath is higher it is *the* highest output pup they do as far as I know.

Personally I'd go with the nailbomb but then I'm a bit of a BKP fanboy.

y'see, this is why I don't post as much in here as I used to
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
y'see, this is why I don't post as much in here as I used to

Because you keep forgetting things in your old age?

forgive Mr Mod, sir, I meant nothing by it...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by steven seagull
Once again, so wrong it's laughable....ignore this fool, he posts the same two models in every pickup thread regardless of what the threadstarter is actually looking for

Best thing to do is wait until you've actually got the guitar, then you'll have a better idea of how the sound needs tweaking, if at all. However, for the sake of argument if it's Dimarzios you're thinking of then you'll most likely be looking at the likes of the Crunch Lab, Breed, D-Sonic and Steve's Special - your main priority is going to be clarity under distortion, but as far as EQ curves and voicing goes that's really all down to your own preference.

Bareknuckles are great but pricey, you're not playing apocalyptic death metal stuff so maybe look at the Painkiller or Warpig as opposed to the Naibomb.

Seconded. I'm quite a huge fan of the Nailbomb.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 18, 2011,
I'm seriously considering a Nailbomb with matte black cover and black screws, as long as it will fit. I think I'm going with the white RG1451. Although, if I go for black, do you think Tim could do a white cover?
Badlands UK
I'm sure if you emailed him he might have the ability to do something.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Shredding 4Life
Dave, how do you like the MM? Thats another option (I think...)

I like it a lot, but I don't really play the stuff you do (by that I don't mean it won't do it, I mean I'm not really sure what type of tone they use ). It's also not the most versatile pickup in the world- it's definitely very much aimed at that late 80s type of hard rock/metal tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I like it a lot, but I don't really play the stuff you do (by that I don't mean it won't do it, I mean I'm not really sure what type of tone they use ). It's also not the most versatile pickup in the world- it's definitely very much aimed at that late 80s type of hard rock/metal tone.

Ok, cool. Just for the record, I don't only play rock stuff, it's just what my band do (and what I'll be using the guitar for). I play pretty much everything, but on my own it's usually metal(core). And now a bit of djent.
Badlands UK
yeah i mean the miracle man wouldn't be the one i'd get for a range of stuff. it rules for 80s rock/metal and shred, but it's noticeably not as good for more classic rock and stuff like that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A bare knuckle would be an excellent shout.
I have a dimarzio crunch lab in my drop c br00tz 6 string and it does that sort of thing really well.
Right, I'm now between a Barknuckle Nailbomb, and possibly painkiller, and DiMarzio D Sonic and Crunch lab (and maybe Tone Zone?) No Duncans really appeal that much.
Badlands UK
haven't tried the other two dimarzios, but I dunno about the TZ, it's pretty dark, not sure how it'd take to downtuning.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use a tone zone on my rg550 tuned to e flat. Its good for shred and stuff but for what you want i wouldnt recommend it.
Riiight. Now the options are widening again. I guess for a basswood guitar (which is a bit bright?), would I need a bassier pickup. Am I right?
Badlands UK
Not nessesarily. Basswood is fairly neutral sounding.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
yeah that's what i'd have said. very middy.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe switch the passives to actives and get a EMG 81. But if you want to stay passive, Dimarzio X2N
Ok. Cheers for clearing up about the wood. I'm gonna try out some of those pickups now.

On a completely different topic, black or White guitar? Can't freakin' decide!!
Badlands UK
Last edited by Shredding 4Life at Apr 19, 2011,
Definately white. I love the look of a white Ibanez. It'd look even better if you had a black pickguard on it
Black Pickgaurd isn't really a possibility. But I'm leaning towards white with a BKP Nailbomb.
Badlands UK
the nailbomb is a more versatile pick up than it gets credit for.

when i have mine tapp'd, it's one of the best sounding clean pups i've played.

i'd have to give it a nod here.

i'm sure the dimarzios are good pups too, i just don't have much experience with them to comment.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Nailbombs are a good shout I would say. I have a pair in my PRS and they're fantastic. They can go from obscene amounts of distortion and proper meaty riffs yet they still have a very clear and warm clean tone. They're about at the upper edge of where I would want to go for output, but they are absolutely excellent when paired with an appropriate amp (my friend's Cornford Hellcat hated my PRS, but it's a picky bastard of an amp)
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Problem with BKP's are that they cost somthing ridiculous like $350. One thing i would like to ask is, what makes BKP's so special to justify that kind of price compared to a Duncan, Dimarzio etc? Are they REALLY that much better? I have no experience with BKP's, so what kind of tone pixie dust do they sprinkle in the enamel wiring to justify the high price?

I'm not convinced if there isn't a good reason. But i may change my opinion if the reason seems plausible
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 19, 2011,
Page 1 of 2