Page 1 of 2
Where do we stand with acceptance of different creeds, nationalities and sexual orientation, as a western culture? We have obviously come a very far way since the 50's, when discriminating anyone different was a perfectly acceptable norm, but where do we truly stand? Have we truly gained acceptance, or merely toleration of groups of people who stray from the norm?

Discuss.
Clearly we haven't gained acceptance, but I think we're getting much better at tolerance.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Different people at all ends of the spectrum. On one hand you have interracial couples and gay friends, but at the other end you have YouTube commenters.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
As individuals we've become much more tolerant and perhaps even more accepting, but as a society we're still as tribally close-minded and ass backwards as ever.

EDIT: Talking about the States.
Last edited by madbasslover at Apr 18, 2011,
It is merely toleration, but were getting there. I'm from Eastern Europe, and when I look at the older people from the USSR times and compare them to the little kids that are growing up now, there's a huge huge difference. The idea of tolerance is absent in the older folk, however very prominent in the young generation that's growing up now. I can see the huge difference in how gingers were treated when I was growing up, and how they are looked at now (specifically talking about little kids). Gingers used to get really a lot of crap for being different here, dunno how it's in other places but it was really bad here. Me and my friends are from what I call the "in between generation", when the ideas of tolerance and acceptance were just brought in to our environment here, and some people took those ideas in, some didn't, so it's a mix, but like I said, looking at the little kids brings hope.
imo there is a lot more tolerance than acceptance,at least where i live. people dont discriminate against minorities that much but there is a general feeling of separateness
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Different people at all ends of the spectrum. On one hand you have interracial couples and gay friends, but at the other end you have YouTube commenters.

Couldn't agree more. YouTube commenters are the most narrow minded people I have ever seen. We should start discriminating against youtubers if you ask me
Last edited by dhruvrajvanshi at Apr 18, 2011,
Quote by Zero-Hartman

We've definately gained a greater acceptance since the 50s, that's for sure. But there are still so many people who aren't tolerant and/or are just ignorant on many different issues. A lot of work still needs to be done.
We are nowhere close to acceptance. Even tolerance is dubious, when most people are still intolerant towards people they perceive as being even slightly different to themselves. People whose ethnicity, sexuality, etc., differs from the "norm" (Please note quotation marks), are expected to supress aspects of their lifestyle in public, just so those who are within the "norm" can feel more comfortable.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Yeah, pretty much ITT sums up the answer.
We're hardly progressed at all from decades ago, we just have a more overall liberal governing mindset which implements political correctness and makes people feel it's the "norm" to be tolerant of anyone and everyone, which in itself I think makes things worse. There's at least as many intolerant narrow minded people (whether they openly admit it or not) as fully accepting, if not a lot more, so as a whole society is still ass backwards over itself. I'll admit there are still some things I don't and probably won't accept, but in general I think I'm fairly open minded.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
You're discriminating in this thread, because it's aimed only at people in a Western Culture

Well, only white people have to worry about being politically correct.
Quote by hriday_hazarika

lol yeah

I never got why though
Not with Fox News still on the f*cking air >__>
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
F UCK OFF FOREIGNERS!!!! *Troll Face*
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Tolerating it might be more suited, however I am increasingly hearing such phrases as 'I'm not racist but' 'I don't have immigrants but' etc etc. People are still the same, they just don't like to admit it for fear of getting labeled.
I think it depends on individuals and walks of life.
I'm doing a PhD, surrounded by foreigners and have tons of gays friends despite being straight. I wouldn't normally bat an eyelid at this.. only that you asked
So there is definitely some acceptance going on.

Everyone's as bad though, in the environment I'm in its much more likely to hear the foreigners studying here complaining about the Irish than the Irish complaining about the foreigners. Its equally as insulting. People get what they give
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
I think people have just learned to be polictally correct out of fear. We prob are more tolerant but not as much as you would think. Fear of the repercussions are at the top of peoples minds I think.
E Family
E-Son to OldiebutNewbie
E-Brother to Andrea55
E-Brother to guitarxo
E-Uncle to Basti95
I'd say that the majority of the people I know are pretty accepting.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by itorch
I think people have just learned to be polictally correct out of fear. We prob are more tolerant but not as much as you would think. Fear of the repercussions are at the top of peoples minds I think.

This is true. I think a lot of people think twice before they say something now because someone is bound to be offended.

I'm all for tolerance, but a world where you get called a racist for merely describing a person as "black" is anything but tolerant.
Quote by hriday_hazarika

Quote by ChucklesMginty
As a child (I mean REALLY young, like 3 or 4.) I have to admit I thought black people looked scary. Luckily it didn't last long.

I still have this issue to a small degree.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
people behave tolerant in polite company. one has to divine their true feelings with a vivisection and subsequent reading of entrails.
Quote by michal23

Why the facepalm? It's true in a way. I remember somebody on here saying how they heard a black woman in a radio interview list one of her reasons for voting for Obama as "because he's black" yet, if somebody voted for McCain (I think that's his name? I'm not all too familiar with American politics) and put a reason as "because he's white" they would be labeled racist.

Personally I think that it's more tolerance than acceptance, and as some people have said, partly down to political correctness and fear of being labeled. We still have a long way to go yet.
I tolerate other peoples beliefs but i don't respect them if they're not what i believe. Skin colour doesn't bother me, there's good and bad people from every colour of the rainbow
Quote by ChucklesMginty
As a child (I mean REALLY young, like 3 or 4.) I have to admit I thought black people looked scary. Luckily it didn't last long.

That's quite normal actually. It all comes down to evolution. There was an evolutionary advantage to having a natural mis-trust of people who look different from those you are normally exposed to. I was the same way.
Quote by AdamDK
Why the facepalm? It's true in a way. I remember somebody on here saying how they heard a black woman in a radio interview list one of her reasons for voting for Obama as "because he's black" yet, if somebody voted for McCain (I think that's his name? I'm not all too familiar with American politics) and put a reason as "because he's white" they would be labeled racist.

Personally I think that it's more tolerance than acceptance, and as some people have said, partly down to political correctness and fear of being labeled. We still have a long way to go yet.

Sure, but it's the context the matters isn't it? Whether you like it or not, whether you admit it or not, the West still has a massively racist society. Black people in the states still have it way, way harder than white people. Here in the UK, if you're brown skinned or speak with even a slightly foreign accent, shit's way more difficult. My mum has a pretty strong Polish accent and has come home crying numerous times 'cause of the shit she'll get when trying to do something as simple as post a letter at the post office.

So if a black woman in American votes for Obama because he's black, chances are she's doing it in the hope that maybe someone of the same skin colour as her will have had to deal with the same shit as she has and will thus be more sympathetic towards her. I don't think that constitutes as racism.
Quote by michal23
Sure, but it's the context the matters isn't it? Whether you like it or not, whether you admit it or not, the West still has a massively racist society. Black people in the states still have it way, way harder than white people. Here in the UK, if you're brown skinned or speak with even a slightly foreign accent, shit's way more difficult. My mum has a pretty strong Polish accent and has come home crying numerous times 'cause of the shit she'll get when trying to do something as simple as post a letter at the post office.

So if a black woman in American votes for Obama because he's black, chances are she's doing it in the hope that maybe someone of the same skin colour as her will have had to deal with the same shit as she has and will thus be more sympathetic towards her. I don't think that constitutes as racism.

I guess I can see where you're coming from with that. And I'm not denying that the West is still pretty racist, but compared to the 50's, we've became more tolerant in general, although racism still does exist strongly. But with political correctness and people having to think twice about what they say, I guess you could argue that the racism is still there, but political correctness is creating a smoke screen over it and so creating tolerance, rather than acceptance.

And sorry to hear the shit your mom gets. I notice you're from Birmingham - only going off what I've heard, but doesn't Birmingham have quite a lot of people from different racial/ethical background, you'd think that people would learn to accept them, but I guess not. Pretty shit really.
Quote by AdamDK
I guess I can see where you're coming from with that. And I'm not denying that the West is still pretty racist, but compared to the 50's, we've became more tolerant in general, although racism still does exist strongly. But with political correctness and people having to think twice about what they say, I guess you could argue that the racism is still there, but political correctness is creating a smoke screen over it and so creating tolerance, rather than acceptance.

And sorry to hear the shit your mom gets. I notice you're from Birmingham - only going off what I've heard, but doesn't Birmingham have quite a lot of people from different racial/ethical background, you'd think that people would learn to accept them, but I guess not. Pretty shit really.

I agree that political correctness is just a smokescreen masking the issues. Hell, half the time I get the impression it's just creating a problem where it doesn't exist. I don't think I've ever met a black person who had an issue being called black. So all this "no it's african-american" kinda talk, I don't get it at all

Birmingham and the surrounding area is just your typical industrial city, really. Mostly working class with lots of racial minorities living in their own closed communities, so you often get racial tensions. It's a shame, but I guess it's not much of a surprise either.
Quote by spanishyanez
Not with Fox News still on the f*cking air >__>

So true, that.

Good question. I think the percentage of tolerancy has risen dramatically with the increase of awareness due to the media and much less isolationism than in the past.

When I was growing up, you could never tell someone you "fapped." You got your ass kicked. You could never admit you were gay. You got your ass kicked.

I remember the first black/white relationship in my neighborhood and how much crap that couple got from everyone. Now it is much more acceptable.

Jews. Ask them. It will never be perfect because some groups will always demonize another but the ones I went to college with would definately say things have gotten better regarding religious tolerance.

Even the KKK, I believe, has a few catholics in there now or so I read somewhere recently.

Muslims. I'm undecided but I think it will change over time. Intolerance is deeply routed on both sides because the punishments written so long ago in religious texts are so severe and taboo.

Japanese and Phillipino's. There were actually drawn in 1930's newspaper illustrations looking like monkeys, long arms, snouts, dark skinned and all. And the American people actually believed it. Those pictures blow my mind, even knowing it was just propaganda, just shows the fear, ignorance, and intolerance of the times.

We've all come a long way and the more tolerant we are, the more tolerant our kids will be. I hope. I think it all comes down to fear of the unknown and ignorance.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

We seem to have only changed the groups we discriminate against.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
The Pit hates us Christians it seems.

I accept people, no matter what sexual orentation, ethnicity, religion (or lack thereof), and so forth -- well, unless they're cunts.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by CoreysMonster
Where do we stand with acceptance of different creeds, nationalities and sexual orientation, as a western culture? We have obviously come a very far way since the 50's, when discriminating anyone different was a perfectly acceptable norm, but where do we truly stand? Have we truly gained acceptance, or merely toleration of groups of people who stray from the norm?

Discuss.

The term discrimination has essentially become meaningless. In essence, to discriminate is to merely differentiate two unlike things. However, the term is often used to mean something like racial (or some other) bigotry in one's judgment of others. This wouldn't be a problem (language is always changing), but people conflate both and the whole thing becomes absurd.

To answer your question though, race issue expert and comedian Paul Mooney suggests that, at least in the United States, nothing has really changed. I'm not really qualified to assess that claim as I haven't lived through these different time periods. However, I would tend to agree with him.

I would also add that sociology suggests that prejudices and tribalism are innate qualities in our species and that ethnic conflict is inevitable in geographic regions / societies occupied by more than one group.
Quote by hriday_hazarika

This. This so much. Racism has been slyly reversed.
I hate my sig
Quote by ChucklesMginty

The first 6 years of my life were spent in a "minority-majority" neighborhood so I've never really had this gut reaction of fear around black people that I've heard some people describing and I think it's really silly. (no offense to your 3 or 4 year old self. )
Page 1 of 2