I have Engl Screamer 50 combo, which obviously has open back. So I decided to try to close the back and see(listen) what kind of a difference it does. And yes, the bass response is better. I closed it by covering the open part with the z-5 footswitch. Why are combos often(always) open back? And is it somehow dangerous to close it? I've never seen or heard anyone closing those backs.
Last edited by imposiitin at Apr 18, 2011,
Better Sound dispersion. Especially if it's only a single speaker. It allows the sound out the back which can deflect off walls or whatever's behind. I think.
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)
Mostly because if its a tube combo you need to be able to get some air flow to the tubes to keep them cool. Plus the amp itself is inside the cabinet, so if it was closed back the sound pressure could potentially damage things, if it has nowhere to go.
1St dont close the back tge heat will kill your amp it wont hurt though if you close it like for half hr or so
but remember to apply some acoustic foam on the wood or............
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by littlephil
Mostly because if its a tube combo you need to be able to get some air flow to the tubes to keep them cool. Plus the amp itself is inside the cabinet, so if it was closed back the sound pressure could potentially damage things, if it has nowhere to go.

+1

also probably for better sound dispersion, as also suggested ^^^^^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
put some acoustic foam in that shit if
you close it up. Otherwise bass would be
reflected lots and since the OB isn't designed with
that in mind it could get nasty
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Last edited by deepsal at Apr 18, 2011,
Quote by deepsal
put some acoustic foam in that shit if
you close it up. Otherwise bass would be
reflected lots and since the OB isn't designed with
that in mind it could get nasty

... No closed back cab has acoustic foam in it. Acoustic foam doesn't absorb bass, it absorbs sound. The cab would sound like a muffled piece of shit.

You can't close it anyway; the amp was designed open back fora reason; for air flow. If you close it, things will get very hot very quick. Unless you also install vents, in which case it would be more trouble than worth it.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
some cb's do have foam in them
BTW
I KNOW MY SHIT
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
I closed the back of my vox ad100vtxl allthough its not a tube amp, and I no longer even own it, but you could probly get away with building a 3/4 closed back to get tighter bass response and still allow airflow.
You might need to install a fan also? Im no expert
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Apr 18, 2011,
Quote by deepsal
some cb's do have foam in them
BTW
I KNOW MY SHIT

I have never seen a cab with acoustic foam in it. If anything, it would make the cab seem like it had MORE bass. It's like putting a pillow in a kick drum or in a sub box in a car.

I call shenanigans.

And congrats. Way to go on knowing your shit. .
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Acoustic foam does sweet f**k all to bass. All it would do would be to rob you of high end, sound waves at bass frequencies are so long that the foam would do nothing, they'd just pass straight through it.

I closed the fully open part, which is in the middle. The upper part is still "open" (covered with the metal plate with holes), is this enough to prevent damage or is it too closed ?
That should be fine. As long as you leave a gap for ventilation and for pressure to escape, it'll be fine.