Okay, I have an idea in the making of a new guitar neck. I was thinking of having a fretless neck. The catch: frets start at the 12th. so, basically, this is how it would look:

[ Fret Less Part (1-11) | | | | | | | | | | |] <-- You should be abe to get the main idea.

As anyone can tell you, if you would just take off the first 11 frets, the strings would be eventually catching on the 12th fret. How do we cure this? I have one idea, but not sure about the tonal quality of what is being done.
I'm thinking of measuring fret height of the 12th fret, then making the lower part of the neck (frets 1-11) that height. My friend said that it wouldn't work (mainly because it's me doing it), but I believe it can be done, if it hasn't been already. I'm NOT in anyway going with this (http://www.stick.com/news/halffretless_ns.html) because in my opinion it looks weird (but yet cool) but also because the lower strings I want fretless. Thanks for any suggestions, comments, slap-in-the-faces, etc.
I started to feel really proud of the fact that I was gay even though I wasn't
- Kurt Cobain
Pretty sure the strings would be buzzing when playing anywhere under the 12th fret unless you made the fretless part just a tad higher.
i'm liking this idea, whether it be possible or not i'm not sure, would love to see how it works out.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
You'd have to have the fretless part the same height as the crown of the actual frets, otherwise you wouldn't be able to play the fretless part without a massive forward bow in the neck.
Scott Ian of Anthrax had a similar idea.

It wouldn't work if the top half was fretless, as the strings would buzz on the high frets, but if like, 1-12 were fretted, and 13-22 were fretless, that works, and has been done.
im thinking it could work
just have the fretless part as high if not a tad higher than the top of the frets

or maybe instead of frets you have 12-22 scooped out kinda like a scalloped fret board but without the frets
just an idea
Last edited by supersac at Apr 18, 2011,
I think you should try to build it. It sounds like a cool idea, and could be workable. Like Punk_Ninja said, you might have to experiment with where to put the divide (fret twelve, fret thirteen, etc) or how high to make the fretless section. But if you do it, post it.
Equipment:

Dean VX
Dean Avalanche 7
Squire SE Stratocaster
Vox AD50VT
Boss OD-20
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
I've done it on a fretless bass that needed the top 4 frets so the bassist could play slap. What you have to do is make the fretboard where the frets are thinner than where the frets are not. I used a router to thin down the end but you might be able to find another way to do it.
Not taking any online orders.
somebody did this exact thing on this site recently.. ill try to find the thread for you

EDIT: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1419286&highlight=fretless+8

he did the opposite that you're thinking off but maybe check out that thread
Last edited by michaelbot9000 at Apr 18, 2011,
Sounds like you've figured out a way around the buzz. My concern would be intonation on the higher register. You'd now be stretching the strings further when you fret them.
Quote by inkandlead
Sounds like you've figured out a way around the buzz. My concern would be intonation on the higher register. You'd now be stretching the strings further when you fret them.

I am probably going to be adjusting the scale lengths of the fretted vs. the un-fretted. I'm not completely sure on how well this would work, because of tonal differences, but I couldn't see it being too bad. If anything, I wouldn't be used to playing it due to difference in the scale length of the neck. Oh well. I'll have to see about getting supplies and building this focker xD

Quote by Ascendant
Could also be worth trying small frets, not some extra jumbo crap.

My fingers are fat, so small frets are a must. I need as much room as possible.

Quote by supersac
just have the fretless part as high if not a tad higher than the top of the frets

or maybe instead of frets you have 12-22 scooped out kinda like a scalloped fret board but without the frets
just an idea

I was drawing plans today in school and seen this as a very possible solution. I have never in my life played a scalloped neck though.
- Kurt Cobain
Quote by supersac

just an idea

I have decided I am going to go with this idea. It will work perfectly, and I may be able to sneak a fret "lip," almost like a spine ramp. It will be crazy to try. Tomorrow I'll get some pictures and Photoshop them to how it would look.
- Kurt Cobain
as long as the fretless part is the same height as the top of the frets it will work. I have seen basses that are fretted then fretless in the higher register and they did the same thing.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by death eater
Okay, I have an idea in the making of a new guitar neck. I was thinking of having a fretless neck. The catch: frets start at the 12th. so, basically, this is how it would look:

[ Fret Less Part (1-11) | | | | | | | | | | |] <-- You should be abe to get the main idea

Thank you so much! I am just starting to build a mostly fretless neck, very similar to what you are describing, but I hadn't thought about the need for a transition.
Quote by LRCGUITAR
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the first twelve fretted, so you can play chords, and the rest fretless?

Because playing in drop d doesn't really need much chording. The higher part is fretted for soloing. I like rock slide riffs like Bad Horsie.
- Kurt Cobain
If you went down the route of making a jig to rout the fretboard radius, this would be easy, rout the fretless bit then plunge the thickness of the fretwire and finish it.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
thanks for the advice guys. I'm in the midst of getting some supplies for making a new finger board (ordering a premade neck).
- Kurt Cobain
Due to the lack of money, I am taking my old neck for this experiment. This is how it will be done:
1.) Frets 1-11 removed
2.) "scalloping" frets 12-21
3.) grinding the fret wire to be level with the crest of the scoop.
I'm pretty sure this is going to work beautifully. The only adjustment I might end up making is the action but it's no big deal. When It's finished, I'll post some pics.
- Kurt Cobain
just an idea

The main problem with this idea is that the strings will grind down the focal poit of the pressure and you can't just replace wood like you can a fret bar. Now if you routed out the bottom half or use a thickness sander to make it shorter and then used a radius sanding block to put in the radius then you should be golden. You will definately have to do some extra sanding to have an estetically pleasing look to it though.
Yeah. I have a teacher from school helping me with getting everything right. I think It will work
- Kurt Cobain