Hey all.

Just this weekend I bought a new guitar, a 2006 BFG Les Paul.

not sure if any of you have seen these, here's a pic

However the main reason i bought it, someone took out the killswitch and moved the pickup toggle done there (I hate les pauls for the sole reason that the toggle switch is right in my way)

What are some opinions of this guitar?

apparently the BFG stand for barely finished guitar, which is fine for me, because is 8 weeks i will be a certified luthier, any interesting ideas on how to finish this thing?

/end wall of text
bfg will always mean big ****ing gun in my vocabulary, anything containing the leters bfg in that order automatically kicks ass and is granted epic status :P

the bfg is a doom 2 reference..
if that was one of the first games you ever played its a cool
reference if not :P check out if it somehow manges to inspire you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRpV15D77Gg

props on becoming a luthier soon
Last edited by Slashiepie at Apr 18, 2011,
That thing looks awesome! If it were me I'd leave it unfinished. It has a cool raw look to it.

Or you could get some nitro and apply a couple thin coats for some added protection (without the super-glossy look). I believe nitro is available in spray cans, though I'm not sure where to buy it.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by Slashiepie
bfg will always mean big ****ing gun in my vocabulary, anything containing the leters bfg in that order automatically kicks ass and is granted epic status :P

the bfg is a doom 2 reference..
if that was one of the first games you ever played its a cool
reference if not :P check out if it somehow manges to inspire you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRpV15D77Gg

props on becoming a luthier soon

I love doom, and i think the same initially about BFG (might have influenzed my decision to buy) haha.

thanks for the props!
Ok, I take my previous comment back. I just did a google images search on these things and I came across one that somebody finished in a dark transparent blue (almost slate) color. Check out the pic, I think it looks pretty sweet

...although I would have left the zebra pickup in the bridge. I don't think the chrome cover looks right next to the black P-90. For me, chrome pickups need to be in pairs...
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
I had the gary moore signature model a while back, lovely guitars. My only problem was that the Burstbucker 3 was faulty in mine and needed to be rewired, so got rid of it.

The earlier models are the best example of the BFG's so you have done well there. Id simply suggest sanding it down so the top is even then a paint which will make the top 'pop' so to speak and a nitro or satin finish on top.

Leave the neck unfinish though
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
see what the top looks like once it's sanded level.

there should be some black left.

then add another color and sand again, but leave both colors.

i'd add an orange to go for a tiger stripped look.