okay i was playing my guitar for fun. and then i was bending my G string until it is like 3 frets higher. then suddenly it goes out of tune

What causes this? did i restring my guitar wrongly?
If you recently restrung your guitar, the strings will go flat regularly until they are broken in. In fact, I bend all of my strings up and down the board right away to speed that process up when I slap a new set on. They'll settle in and stay stable in a little while. Unless, of course, your tuners are kinda crappy; in which case, you may want to look into replacement options...
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
If you haven't recently restrung your guitar, then your strings getting stuck in your nut slot. When you bend the string, you pull the string through the nut slot a bit. When you release, the string should slide back as it un-stretches. If there's too much friction in the nut slot, the string doesn't fully slide back, making your string flat.

You can help this problem by pulling your strings out of their slots one by one, and then scribbling graphite into the slots with a mechanical pencil.
It could also be faulty tuning machines that just aren't holding in place properly under that much tension.
I do sure love me them Gibsons boy
Quote by dakotajoe
It could also be faulty tuning machines that just aren't holding in place properly under that much tension.
that could be it. because while i was tuning, the tuners felt weird and its not turning smoothly

EDIT: Oh yeah and the tuners are stock tuners. i'll try the mechanical pencil method
Last edited by PUNKSTER93 at Apr 19, 2011,