This was a random discovery I just made, but I noticed that when I pick out parts to a song that have a fast tempo, I turn my pick so that its at a 45 degree angle to the string, opposed to parallel. It really isn't that noticeable to anyone but me, as far as sound difference goes. The only thing really different is the sharpness and the addition of a scraping when turned. Would the habit of angling your pick be a good or bad habit in the future? I never really thought of it in my 5 years of playing.
Last edited by Mohican at Apr 18, 2011,
no harm in it.
Angling the pick in a variety of ways can change the pick attack sound.
Yeh, nobody said you had to pick parallel to the strings...in fact I would say you SHOULD pick at about a 45° angle as it allows you to play faster.

If the angle is too near 0° to the strings, the pick is likely to catch on the strings, and if it's too near 90° it starts to sound scratchy. So 45° is about right.
That's exactly how Paul Gilbert does it, and he has one of the best techniques out there, so it's definitely not a problem. It makes it slide across the strings easier, and depending on your preference, you might even like the tone you get from it.
I would recommend this, as the statements above
makes it easier to you switch strings, and play faster.
but ultimately you want to be able to control how your pick is angled to get a certain sound when you want it

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
yeah its cool it also reduces friction to the strings, when you play parallel you require more force to sound the notes, and when you angle it there is less force needed.

also it changes the tone slightly, or sometimes more noticably with certian amp and effect settings, fool around with it to find the perfect angle for you, I prefeer to use 45° for leadn and when I play rhythm I usually angle it to about 75° (I like the added texture of rhythmic scratching along with the chord progression). but when it comes to playing fast I usually recommend angling the pick ..
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.