Poll: When did you start sweeping?
Poll Options
View poll results: When did you start sweeping?
Less than 6 months after starting guitar
2 5%
6 mos-1 1/2 year
13 33%
greater than 1.5 years
25 63%
Voters: 40.
When did you guys start learning how to sweep(if you can sweep now)? I'm curious as to what the average time frame to begin trying it without it just being way too hard to attempt.
kind of. its really not that important---alternate picking will get you just as far. If you feel the need to, just practice diatonic arpeggios through scales--which are an important concept and will get you doing some 3 and 4 string sweeps.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
I started trying to learn somewhere around the 1 year mark but it was way too soon for me, about my third year of playing was when I started to get comfortable sweeping.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Surely the answer here is: whenever you're ready to?

If you have your arpeggios down and can pick them all in the same direction across the strings, then you can start to practice sweeping (even before then you can start with 2 or 3 string sweeps).

I suggest you work on picking, hammer-ons and pull-offs first though.
Ive been playing 2 years about now and its still way too early for me, i can 4-5 string sweep at mediocre tempo's but im no where near a decent enough level for speed.
it definitely takes time, even after you learn how to sweep, it takes time to master it I am sweeping for some time now and I still can't sweep like Jeff Loomis!!

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
Sweeping is of all following techniques (hammer-ons, pull-offs, legato, alternate picking, string bending, string skipping, sweep picking) the most useless one to be honest. I tried it first when I was playing for about a year, because I had a friend who could sweep like an idiot and realised I couldn't do it yet. I picked it up again 1.5 years later and can sweep reasonably now. I never use it though, I use all the other techniques I just mentioned waaay more often. Though, if you WANT to learn to sweep, just do it, there's no set guidelines for learning to play the guitar and no oreder in which you *have* to learn stuff.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
I started at 1 year or less but didn't get really good at it until 3-4 years
Ive been playing for three years and still only can do minor sweeps but I've noticed that things that are sopposed to be swept can be speed picked or some other method but thats me I'm always getting scolded for not doing things "by the book".
Quote by chainsawguitar

If you have your arpeggios down and can pick them all in the same direction across the strings, then you can start to practice sweeping (even before then you can start with 2 or 3 string sweeps).

This. You should start whenever you feel you're ready.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by chainsawguitar

this^

to me the sweeping prerequisites are hammer ons, pull offs, and arpeggio shapes (not really required to learn it but super helpful since you already know where the notes are) not time.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
The very first thing you should play on guitar is the Vai Paganini 5th caprice piece from Crossroads.