Hi guys. I really need some good quality home recording gear. I was wondering if you guys knew anything about the famed pod recording gear and if it's worth the money. Also if you could give me a little information on what it's capable of, and its pros and cons. Also if you knew any formidable microphones that are good recording quality.

Any help is much appreciated..
"they say home is where your heart is but what a shame, because everyone's heart doesn't beat the same"
Depends if you are just recording your guitar for writing purposes and never intend on having those tracks used in any published pieces of music than the Line 6 Pod is a great idea. Not to say you wouldn't be able to use it to produce satisfactory tone but IMO nothing beats micing up a good amplifier. If you want to be serious about it. Get yourself a pair of Shure sm57's and a descent audio interface. Get a descent pair of monitors and some free software and go to work.
Sorry- I'm a bit new man.

Well I was thinking on spending about 200 for the POD and around 100 for the microphone...
"they say home is where your heart is but what a shame, because everyone's heart doesn't beat the same"
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Depends if you are just recording your guitar for writing purposes and never intend on having those tracks used in any published pieces of music than the Line 6 Pod is a great idea. Not to say you wouldn't be able to use it to produce satisfactory tone but IMO nothing beats micing up a good amplifier. If you want to be serious about it. Get yourself a pair of Shure sm57's and a descent audio interface. Get a descent pair of monitors and some free software and go to work.

yeah see you're talking to someone who knows absolutely nothing about recording processes. If you could maybe break it down for me? I know that may be asking a bit and if you don't want to I'll understand.
Quote by seattleskyline
Sorry- I'm a bit new man.

Well I was thinking on spending about 200 for the POD and around 100 for the microphone...

It's not a problem, I hope I'm not coming across as angry in my post

Just trying to help a new member. I understand you just joined.

Your best bet would be to take that $300 total budget and get a SM57, an audio interface (Sorry, I know next to nothing about these) and mic up your amp for the best possible tone.

Don't forget that it'll sound horrible through crappy speakers, so grab yourself a pair of studio monitors as well if you can. Preferably, try finding all this stuff used.

What amp do you have currently? If it's well, crappy, don't bother micing. At that point you'd get much better tone going through a POD into something like POD farm on your computer.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
It's not a problem, I hope I'm not coming across as angry in my post

Just trying to help a new member. I understand you just joined.

Your best bet would be to take that $300 total budget and get a SM57, an audio interface (Sorry, I know next to nothing about these) and mic up your amp for the best possible tone.

Don't forget that it'll sound horrible through crappy speakers, so grab yourself a pair of studio monitors as well if you can. Preferably, try finding all this stuff used.

What amp do you have currently? If it's well, crappy, don't bother micing. At that point you'd get much better tone going through a POD into something like POD farm on your computer.

Thanks, I have a spider line III 30 watt amp. It's always been nice for my gigs and what not. But, can you enlighten me on what it is exactly that PODs do?
Quote by seattleskyline
Thanks, I have a spider line III 30 watt amp. It's always been nice for my gigs and what not. But, can you enlighten me on what it is exactly that PODs do?

Alright, yeah don't bother mic'ing that up.

It's a pretty well-hated amp around here on UG. It's not the worst amp in the world, by far.. But the modeling on the spider series is pretty dull.

Ok, so.. A POD is a modeller, quite like your Spider. It models amps, cabs, effects, etc, just like your spider, except the quality is a little better, and with the POD you can record directly into your computer via USB i believe. I've never used one myself, but I've heard many clips and whatnot of people who do use it. Sounds pretty decent.

Maybe you should check out the POD HD series that's relatively new, they're pretty awesome.
Quote by TheAbsentOne

It's a pretty well-hated amp around here on UG. It's not the worst amp in the world, by far.. But the modeling on the spider series is pretty dull.

Ok, so.. A POD is a modeller, quite like your Spider. It models amps, cabs, effects, etc, just like your spider, except the quality is a little better, and with the POD you can record directly into your computer via USB i believe. I've never used one myself, but I've heard many clips and whatnot of people who do use it. Sounds pretty decent.

Maybe you should check out the POD HD series that's relatively new, they're pretty awesome.

ok- thanks. That really helps me get a feel as to what the hell I'm doing here. Can you recommend any free software to combine?
Quote by TheAbsentOne

Yeah TS, it sounds like you want the Pod HD. The Spider III really won't cut it for any sort of recording (and yes, I owned one for about a year and a half.) The Pod HD however is a great modeller, especially for it's price. The only thing I can think of that would beat it is the Fractal Audio Axe Fx, and then it really comes down to whether or not you want to spend $1500 or $2000 for a product that, while offering increased processing capabilities and effects quality, the amps themselves are only a little bit better from what I've heard. I myself am a Fractal supporter all the way, but if you don't need all the onboard mixing options, loads of variations of the same type of effect, and enough processing to run a dozen different pedals in all sorts of weird chains, then the Pod HD is definitely what you want. In fact, if you want even better studio quality with the ability to conveniently play the Pod live, then you might want to look into a rackmount rig, with a cabinet + power amp + the Pod HD Pro rack (whenever that comes out, which it should soon.)
Oh, GG&A also has a thread dedicated to DSP (Digital Signal Processors eg: Line 6 Pod) questions, which can be found here.

As far as software goes, I've always used Reaper. Free to use, and much better than most other freeware DAW software.

Hope I helped, cheers man.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Apr 18, 2011,
Quote by Pat_s1t
Yeah TS, it sounds like you want the Pod HD. The Spider III really won't cut it for any sort of recording (and yes, I owned one for about a year and a half.) The Pod HD however is a great modeller, especially for it's price. The only thing I can think of that would beat it is the Fractal Audio Axe Fx, and then it really comes down to whether or not you want to spend $1500 or $2000 for a product that, while offering increased processing capabilities and effects quality, the amps themselves are only a little bit better from what I've heard. I myself am a Fractal supporter all the way, but if you don't need all the onboard mixing options, loads of variations of the same type of effect, and enough processing to run a dozen different pedals in all sorts of weird chains, then the Pod HD is definitely what you want. In fact, if you want even better studio quality with the ability to conveniently play the Pod live, then you might want to look into a rackmount rig, with a cabinet + power amp + the Pod HD Pro rack (whenever that comes out, which it should soon.)
Oh, GG&A also has a thread dedicated to DSP (Digital Signal Processors eg: Line 6 Pod) questions, which can be found here.

Hope I helped, cheers man.

You did, thanks for the help I really appreciate it. What my new project is trying to do is use the Pod for writing. We'd exchange tracks with each other using the pod. I just need to understand what the pod is really capable of...?
If your just getting started try cooledit software its not the best by any means but you can get it free and it is very user friendly. Then if your good at it and like it you can invest in smething better one day. I don't know if you have the funds, but if you can find someone who has Amplitude soft ware you can pirate for a few bucks thats probably the mest guitar modling program out there.
Quote by seattleskyline
You did, thanks for the help I really appreciate it. What my new project is trying to do is use the Pod for writing. We'd exchange tracks with each other using the pod. I just need to understand what the pod is really capable of...?
It does everything a normal signal chain would in a compact, digital form. Basically, you choose an amp and cabinet with the settings you want, then throw in a noise gate, overdrive, chorus, whatever you want into the signal chain, wherever you want. Then it takes the finished signal, and outputs it into a computer via USB to be recorded. You can also use it as a soundcard, so that if you plug your headphones/speakers into the Pod, your guitar tone will come out as well as any sounds from your computer (eg: iTunes music)
Quote by Pat_s1t
It does everything a normal signal chain would in a compact, digital form. Basically, you choose an amp and cabinet with the settings you want, then throw in a noise gate, overdrive, chorus, whatever you want into the signal chain, wherever you want. Then it takes the finished signal, and outputs it into a computer via USB to be recorded. You can also use it as a soundcard, so that if you plug your headphones/speakers into the Pod, your guitar tone will come out as well as any sounds from your computer (eg: iTunes music)

Ah- thank you so much. Pros/Cons?
Quote by seattleskyline

The POD works fine for this and the newer ones have a USB connection to your computer... Though I admit I've only ever used this plug to use a program to play with the settings. I'm not sure if you can actually record with it in this way. I run my POD through a TC Electronics audio interface. The POD is nice because it can emulate different speaker cabs, speaker types, amp types, micing, etc.

Whatever you use, an interface or the POD directly, make sure it has ASIO drivers if you use Windows. Otherwise, theres a noticeable delay that will bug the crap out of you.

Not sure what you mean by capable of? Sound quality? Recording abilities? The sound quality is pretty good, less digitally sounding than the Digitech stuff (though not as nice as my old 2112/2120)

I record in different ways. SM57+SM58 in front of an amp to the TC Electronics interface. Guitar -> POD -> TC Electronics interface. Guitar -> home built analog amp sims -> home built speaker sims -> TC interface.
Can I record bass guitar, drum, vocal, and electric guitar tracks on the pod?
Quote by Pat_s1t
I guess you could record drums if you want, though it's probably easier to just get Superior 2.0 or something for that. But everything else, yes you can.

sweet thats what im mostly concerned about. Check it out, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Pocket-POD-Express-Multi-Effects-Processor-105138622-i1425959.gc

that's what I'm looking at. Do you think that'll allow me to record everything I need? Sorry if I sound like a nub here but how would I go about recording the drum tracks if you don't mind explaining
Quote by seattleskyline
sweet thats what im mostly concerned about. Check it out, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Pocket-POD-Express-Multi-Effects-Processor-105138622-i1425959.gc

that's what I'm looking at. Do you think that'll allow me to record everything I need? Sorry if I sound like a nub here but how would I go about recording the drum tracks if you don't mind explaining
The Pocket Pod is something you want to stay away from. Has very little customizable and recording capabilities, it's more something you'd practice with in an airport or something. Anything XT, X3 or HD is good, but the Pocket Pod and Pod 2.0s really arent great at all. I'd suggest going right for a Pod HD, or if you wanted to spend less cash try to get an XT or X3 used.

As far as drums go, I use ToonTrack Superior 2.0 with the Metal Foundry Expansion. Basically you create a drum MIDI track (I use Guitar Pro), and then import it into your recording software. Apply to Superior 2.0 VST, and your MIDI track instantly sounds like real drums. A lot of home musicians like to use it, because it provides you with a great sounding service that is hard to record otherwise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryC2_KMTK0s
Sample clip using Superior 2.0 and an AxeFx
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Apr 18, 2011,
and if our drummer has electric drums it's the same concept or different?
Quote by seattleskyline
If you have an audio interface with MIDI capabilities, you can record the drum track direct to your software, by applying Superior to your track and exporting all the drum hits as MIDI.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxTDKBU2aLA
thank you so much for your help.
Get one of these for guitar recording. Id go for the cheapest one if your on a budget. http://line6.com/podstudio/

Its the best option without a good amp. You can get really good yones from Pod Farm but cons are well, its not real. But it can sound good.

It comes with Pod Farm2 to get all your sounds, the above post was right about midi and elec drums. BUT IF he uses regular drums you are going to need at least an 8 channel interface, I use Tascam US-1641 can be found cheap on the used market. Got mine for $180.

We use the sm57's for live guitar and toms. Condensors of some sort for cymbals and overheads. Vocals come out pretty good if you use a decent ribbon mic.

A real good place for you to go and research is gearslutz.com if you havent been there already. Much more knowledge over there with recording.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by seattleskyline
Can I record bass guitar, drum, vocal, and electric guitar tracks on the pod?

While they have patches for that, I wouldn't recommend it. I'd use mics with decent preamps. Something like the TC Electronic interface has built in preamps for mics. Bass would be fine though.
Quote by seattleskyline

Depends on what you want to capture. Theres different ways. You can record the MIDI data so you can edit, quantize, change drum kits, etc. Or you can record the audio output directly from the sound module but you can't really edit it. What kit does he have? I have an old DM5 I use to just grab MIDI data... BUT, you have to have something on your computer to capture that MIDI data. I use a TC Electronics Konnekt 8. Inputs line, nice mic preamps, MIDI, and has very low latency
Last edited by samhell at Apr 18, 2011,