Word up pit monkeys,

I just received my audition papers for an applied music course at my local college
and I was reading through the requirements. I was wondering if all music programs had similar requirements.

Also I wouldn't mind some advice as to what i should play for my audition.

requirements:

Must be able to play a chord melody from the "real" book. ((either old or new))
Examples: All of me, All the things you are, Misty, Here's the rainy day

Must be able to play 12 bar blues ((medium tempo))
Examples: Billy's Bounce, Sunny moon for two

Know the basic chords, preferable with tensions 9th 11th 13th

Be able to play major and minor scales acceding and descending.

Sight read a single piece of melody from the real book ((treble clef))

Be able to pass an ear test

Receive at least 70% on the theory entrance exam. Equivalent to grade 2 Theory RCMT.

So with that said. What should I play for them and also what were your requirements for your music course?
Quote by WillPlayForFood
Word up pit monkeys,

I just received my audition papers for an applied music course at my local college
and I was reading through the requirements. I was wondering if all music programs had similar requirements.

Also I wouldn't mind some advice as to what i should play for my audition.

requirements:

Must be able to play a chord melody from the "real" book. ((either old or new))
Examples: All of me, All the things you are, Misty, Here's the rainy day

Must be able to play 12 bar blues ((medium tempo))
Examples: Billy's Bounce, Sunny moon for two

Know the basic chords, preferable with tensions 9th 11th 13th

Be able to play major and minor scales acceding and descending.

Sight read a single piece of melody from the real book ((treble clef))

Be able to pass an ear test

Receive at least 70% on the theory entrance exam. Equivalent to grade 2 Theory RCMT.

So with that said. What should I play for them and also what were your requirements for your music course?

Belmont?
Gear:

2004 PRS Swamp Ash Special
Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
That sounds about right. I don't do music in college, but a ton of my friends did and from what I can recall from their audition process, this sounds extremely similar and rather basic compared to what you'll be doing in college. This sounds heavily geared towards Jazz, which is what they were doing. I'm not sure if that's what all programs would require you to do.

Personally as far as the chord melody from the Real Book, I really like Misty. That's a pretty common one though. I also really like Boplicity and Yardbird Suite, both of which are in the Real Book.
Quote by C_Miller
That sounds about right. I don't do music in college, but a ton of my friends did and from what I can recall from their audition process, this sounds extremely similar and rather basic compared to what you'll be doing in college. This sounds heavily geared towards Jazz, which is what they were doing. I'm not sure if that's what all programs would require you to do.

Personally as far as the chord melody from the Real Book, I really like Misty. That's a pretty common one though. I also really like Boplicity and Yardbird Suite, both of which are in the Real Book.

you are correct sir, It is a jazz program.. which i am not too much of a fan of but i am willing to develop a taste for...Thanks much for the suggestions