I read on some forum that actives sound like shit in a modeling amp like Line 6 Spiders, and I was wondering if this is true. I plan on getting a set of Blackouts for my JS32T Rhoads, but was wondering if I should just use passives until I can get a tube amp or some shit. Which will probably be a while, since I'm not rich or anything, hence me having a low entry Jackson.

Sorry if this is a noobish question.
They don't sound like shit - they just don't sound any different than any other pickup. In my experience with my old Spider, it made every instrument sound the same, unless you were using single coils vs humbuckers.
buy a new amp first, you'll be surprised the difference in tone when the stock pickups when there coming through a decent amp
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Each part of your signal chain will have an effect (pos or neg) on your tone, from the strings and pickups on your guitar, down to your amp and speakers. As far as active vs passive, I enjoy both, through both types of amps. But to the crux of your question...generally, if you upgrade your pickups with either type it should still result in better overall tone. The degree of improvement of course will depend on how well the remainder of your signal chain translates the original signal.

It could be the lower end modeling amps compress and alter the original signal to such a degree that it's no longer recognizable and distinguishable from any other source. Similar to playing your favorite metal on a crappy single speaker, AM radio vs a high-end stereo.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
They don't sound like shit - they just don't sound any different than any other pickup. In my experience with my old Spider, it made every instrument sound the same, unless you were using single coils vs humbuckers.

This sums it up pretty good..... I'd go with a better amp before upgrading your pups. Unless it would take you way too long to save the dough and you want something thats better. However, like the previous guy mentioned, you probably wont notice the difference on your amp...
you need a Dual Rec
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
All good advice. Thanks guys!
Being unemployed sucks for this very reason. I'd LOVE to go tube but I can't afford it at the moment.

Oh and feel free to start an EMG Vs. Blackout war here, I'm a little unsure on those, too
You can get a set of blackouts for $180, add another $100 and you can get decent used tube amp. Even another $50 would get you a much better amp then a spider.

What is your current amp? Is it a spider? You weren't clear on that.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Major Sparky
You can get a set of blackouts for $180, add another $100 and you can get decent used tube amp. Even another $50 would get you a much better amp then a spider.

What is your current amp? Is it a spider? You weren't clear on that.

Yes, it's a Spider III HD75 and a Spider III cab.
And that's not bad pricing. I could deal with that. Just so long as it isn't like Mesa Boogies that are like in the 1000's.

They're actually my brother's, he's just letting me use them for the moment. I got into guitar like a year and a half or two years ago, roughly, but I'm already realizing that I definitely need/want something better. Line 6 is okay but not for me. I recently bought my Jackson (Best purchase ever made), after using his LTD KH-202 'til now. Good guitar, but the Floyd is a pain for me at the moment. So I'm basically in the process of exploring the vast world of guitar equipment and how thinks work and what not. I have all the basics down, but the more complicated shit like how pickups work, exactly, and the technology that goes in SS Vs. Tube etc, I'm not sure on.
Last edited by Norse Thrasher at Apr 18, 2011,
I find crate blue voodoo's for under 350 all day long in LA/Orange county.

I wouldn't recommend that amp for you as it is 100w and a little thin sounding. Good for lead tones along with a decent clean channel as well. Just an example of a cheap tube amp.

I would find something a little less wattage / combo rather then cabinet and head to keep the cost down.

I would not recommend new pick-ups before a new amp in your situation.
Solid State amps and Modeling amps are different. Solid State amps have analog circuits. Modeling amps are digital. It would be a complete waste or your money expecting any tone change going from passives to actives through a modeling amp.
Sell your current amp and the Blackouts and get a used tube combo or a new low wattage one before you put actives in your guitar.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Norse Thrasher
Would lower end Peavey combo amps like the TransTube be good?

transtube is solid state and supposedly sounds more tube like (not so much ). look for something like a Peavey valveking used as that would be a suitable replacement for your current amp and relativily cheap.
I wouldn't see a pickup upgrade as a priority. If you get a good amp, you'll be a lot happier with the sound than if you keep your current one and stick in a set of active pickups.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I believe the concern with Modeling amps is that in the input stage of the amp, your Analog guitar signal first gets converted over to Digital, by the A/D converters in the amp.

If in the input stage, you were overdrive the A/D converter into clipping, you would get a very un-musical harsh distortion...

And no matter what happened to your signal after that, Preamp stage, Modeling/Effects, Power amp stage, and FX Loop...
was a waste, because your sound was deemed un-fixable, already trashed by an overloaded A/D converter.

When I used to hang in the Line 6 Flextone III forum, running too hot of pickups in your guitar was a concern with the boys.
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Apr 19, 2011,
I have a Jackson Dinky with EMTY's in it and I run it through a Fender Mustang III(my Afghan Rig) And it does quite well.
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Quote by 1ArmyGuitar
I have a Jackson Dinky with EMTY's in it and I run it through a Fender Mustang III(my Afghan Rig) And it does quite well.

Thanks for your service man. I salute you!
Thanks again, guys. I did a little more research and found that Peavey Valvekings aren't too bad for cost, especially used, and it's Peavey so I'm not gonna go wrong with that, so I'll probably pick one of those up when I can, see if I'm satisfied with the Jackson pups first then go for replacing them if not.
I also did not know there was a difference between modeling and SS.
Also, tubes last quite a while, too, so replacing fees for them thankfully won't be a concern.
Get a Spider 4x12, its br00talz
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I know you already got a lot of good info, but I'd just like to add, that it has a lot more to do with headroom, than anything else.

It's not so black and white as tube vs. ss/digital. If you're running actives into a <5W tube amp, it's still going to sound like ass, most of the time. If you're running a >75W SS amp, actives sound fine most of the time.

It's true that you don't need nearly as much headroom with tubes as you do with SS amps, but it's not like running actives into an SS amp will automatically sound like ass.

I run my H-301 w/ EMG 81/60 into my Vypyr 75, and it sounds perfectly fine.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah, I remember seeing something about headroom somewhere, now that you mention it. Good shit, man! Makes sense.
i would still replace the pickups in your jackson. if they are they stock Jackson CVR2s or whatever then they are terrible and i do believe you would see a significant difference in clarity with a pick up swap. but, new amp should go on the list as well
Quote by shecter guy
i would still replace the pickups in your jackson. if they are they stock Jackson CVR2s or whatever then they are terrible and i do believe you would see a significant difference in clarity with a pick up swap. but, new amp should go on the list as well

Yeah they are the CVR2s. They're ok, but obviously stock is stock. Definitely want to replace them. I want that active pickup roar, like a screaming demon!