Hey chaps,

I'm in the process of putting together a parts-caster type thing and I'm repainting the body I bought on ebay. It's an Alder body.

I've spent a good 4-5 hours today sanding the crap out of this thing and it's getting to the point where it's half an hour before I see any major results in all the sanding I'm doing.

Sorry for the low quality pics, it's all i can get

The paint that is left is really matte, no shine on it at all and I swear to god it's been done over with various grits of sand paper for at least an hour each.

How much can I leave on so that the new paint will cover it and stick nicely?

Also do I need to put a few coats of primer on the guitar or can I just go ahead and spray it the way I want?

I have nitrocellulose for the finish coat!

What I plan on doing is spraying the entire thing white and then making it a bit aged and relic'd and then I'm going to spray it red and do the same thing so you get the red and white showing at the different stressed parts.

Note: If you'r not a fan of artificial relic-ing please keep that to yourself, this is my build and my guitar, I don't need to be told you think it looks shit and the guitar should age naturally!
Sparrow Twangmaster Telecaster
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack > Fuzz Face > Tubescreamer -> Crybaby -> Modded SD-1 -> Big Muff -> Phaser -> El Capistan -> TS-1 Tremolo/Stereo-Pan

Vox VT20+
From what ive gathered about finishing is that as long as it is roughed up and then cleaned the paint will stick to it. however with what your doing there is a possibility you could go all the way back down to to original paint layer and ruin the relic your going for. so you could just crank up a palm sander and get all of it off fairly quickly.
So the answer is basically..

a. sand it down as muuuuch as possible
b. primer first

-- I can get white primer.
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack > Fuzz Face > Tubescreamer -> Crybaby -> Modded SD-1 -> Big Muff -> Phaser -> El Capistan -> TS-1 Tremolo/Stereo-Pan

Vox VT20+
Quote by WhoDooVooDoo
So the answer is basically..

a. sand it down as muuuuch as possible
b. primer first

-- I can get white primer.
I'd lay the White Primer/Sealer from there. I would've left most of the Burst and laid down the final color. The old school Bursts were basically repainted whatever color was required by the customer so that when they aged and got dinged/worn out, the Burst underneath got exposed. Kinda similar to the Red on White you're planning.

Good Luck!

Where is your god now, polyurethane?

Mauhahaha

Bought it today.
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Vox VT20+