i STILL have not gotten an electric guitar, haha but its happening soon, and i've been listening to a lot of guitarists using "piano tapping" (double tapping with all 8 fingers), including the guitarist in minus the bear who will tap on an entire chord with his left hand and tap melodies over that with his right. i tried that out on someone else's guitar and noticed it just wasn't loud enough, i had to turn all the nobs all the way up to hear what i was doing at all. i'm in a guitar class at my school, and the teacher, mr. martini, once showed us a video of a folk-ish guitarist doing some crazy piano tapping on an acoustic-electric. martini mentioned that this is best accomplished with a certain guitar, amp, and effects. does anybody know what i'll need to pull this off??
you don't need any gear in particular so much as you need it set-up properly. lighter gauge strings and a lower action will certainly help with piano tapping styles. both the guys in minus the bear use fairly standard rock guitars and amps.

however, a compressor pedal would certainly help. it works to minimize the volume peaks and valleys of your playing to provide a more consistent volume
Quote by krehzeekid
you don't need any gear in particular so much as you need it set-up properly. lighter gauge strings and a lower action will certainly help with piano tapping styles. both the guys in minus the bear use fairly standard rock guitars and amps.

however, a compressor pedal would certainly help. it works to minimize the volume peaks and valleys of your playing to provide a more consistent volume

thanks a bunch

edit: so if i got a fender telecaster with low action and light gauge strings, would that all work out well?
I would actually (and this is almost blasphemous for me) suggest something like Ibanez or Jackson. They're known for fast necks with low action. If you find one with low action, a hard-tail bridge, and throw on thin strings, you should be quite in business.

I do a lot of touch style myself, but I play almost exclusively fenders. The large frets are not conducive to the style, unfortunately. Ibanez and the sort have shorter frets, which make the tapping easier.
They do. The wire on my MusicMan seems tiny compared to the wire on both my Ibanez.
Quote by TMVATDI
So...I should get an ibanez?

You should get something that you can get set up for seriously low action. Ibanez is the obvious choice but it's far from the only one.

Also if you add a compressor to your signal that should make things a fair bit easier.

However, if guys like Andy McKee, Don Ross, Michael Hedges and all the other modern acoustic guitarists can pull off that kind of mad tapping on acoustic I don't see why you should have to really change your gear to make it work on an electric.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
again, I don't think any particular guitar is in order. I use a tele and an Eclipse (hot-rodded LP type of deal) and I can piano tap on both just fine. its a matter of technique more than gear I suspect