My guitar is an ibanez ART120 and it takes AA batterie's i was just wondering if their is anyway that i could make the pickups take a 9 volt battery because apparently the pickup's will sound alot better with a 9 volt battery is their anyway to do this the cavity is big enough to fit an 9 volt battery you could even fit two 9 volt batteries in it for the 18 volt mod :P
it takes 2 AA's right? You could probably change it to a 9 volt but 18 volts might be a bit much, the 2 AA's give only 3 volts. anyways, depending on how well you can access the wires to the battery box, there should just be something like a black and a red wire to the batteries. Snip those and splice in connector for a 9 volt (something like this: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Battery_clips_and_holders/9-Volt_Battery_Connector.html ) connect black to black, red to red. the best way to connect them would be to solder the connections.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
seeing as AA batteries are 1.5V this seems like a fairly moronic thing to attempt.

why don't you try it?
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
seeing as AA batteries are 1.5V this seems like a fairly moronic thing to attempt.

why don't you try it?

emg's active pickups are rated to 27V even though most guitars only come with them wired to use 9V. EMG has even officially stated that upping the voltage can give better headroom and is ok to do. IDK what pickups are in OP's guitar, but they might be OK to increase voltage. OP: try to look up some specifications on the pickups in your guitar to make sure they are rated to handle up to 9 or 18 volts.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
if the pickups should run on 6 (and only 6) AA's, than a 9v brick should do the trick. However, they will last not as long, tho
well yeah i could cut the red and black wire and solder a 9v adapter on to it but i really need to know if it will work because i dont have the money to buy new pickups if it fails
Im about to install EMGXs in my Ibanez ART320 and im trying to find a 9v battery box to swap out with the AA battery box. but the battery boxes i see have four screws on the outside and the AA battery box has only 2 on the inside...no holes for screws on the outside. so im not sure if there is a way to simply replace the battery box. i might just have to velcro the 9v battery box somewhere on the inside. or does the emg come with some way to secure the battery?
Why not just throw away the battery box and velcro the 9v battery directly to the sides of the control cavity?

EDIT: After a quick googling I found that all the ART 120's use the same pickups and half of them run on 9v anyway. Still, at your own risk...
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Last edited by Speckled_Hen at Apr 22, 2011,