Ok. I have a 2009 Fender American Standard Telecaster. It has a rosewood fretboard. The low E string always sounds dull, even after a restringing. And the G string always sounds out when playing bar chords.

It was setup but a pro tech but that didn't seem to fix the problem. Did I get a dud Fender?
Plug in and let rip

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul
Laney TF 400
Digitech Brian May Pedal
Digitech RP 300
Various Boss effects
Chavette by Charvel guitar (HSS)
Squier Stratocaster
Boss BCB 60 Pedalboard
Last edited by Predator 182 at Apr 19, 2011,
probably not a dud. as for your G, its probably an intonation issue and its pretty easy to fix (check the sticky's for this forum). I don't think its much more than that

as for the low E, check your pickup height. if its too high, it'll muffle the string slightly. if its too low, it wont pick up the signal adequately. check fenders website for the recommended pickup height.

I don't think that you have a dud fender. Fender is pretty good about not putting out bad guitars, mostly because of the production methods. however, they do put out a few (or more) that have poor factory set-ups, and some techs don't care enough to fix things right. check yourself to make sure everything is set-up to fender specs.
if you don't feel like adjusting things yourself, i would bring it back to the tech and show him the issues you're having. if he's truely a pro tech, he should be glad to fix those issues for you.
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster
Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR, Vintage Fender Twin Reverb (early SF)
Effects from Wampler, Keeley, and others

Session Guitarist out of Pittsburgh
Cheers guys. The guitar is correctly intonated. This is one thing I can do myself and have been for years. All my other guitars are great for tuning and intonation.

I just feel this Tele is a real dud. (It played well in the shop, hence why I bought it)

Could the next be causing tuning problems. Should I check the truss rod?

Thanks
Plug in and let rip

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul
Laney TF 400
Digitech Brian May Pedal
Digitech RP 300
Various Boss effects
Squier Stratocaster
Boss BCB 60 Pedalboard
it definitely couldn't hurt to check the neck relief while you're checking the rest of the set up as krehzeekid mentioned. maybe check the neck relief in the guitars you have that play well, and see how it compares to your Tele

i'm not 100% sure your problems are a neck relief issue...but you won't lose anything by checking it out just to see how it currently is set up.
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster
Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR, Vintage Fender Twin Reverb (early SF)
Effects from Wampler, Keeley, and others

Session Guitarist out of Pittsburgh
Quote by Predator 182
Cheers guys. The guitar is correctly intonated. This is one thing I can do myself and have been for years. All my other guitars are great for tuning and intonation.

I just feel this Tele is a real dud. (It played well in the shop, hence why I bought it)

Could the next be causing tuning problems. Should I check the truss rod?

Thanks

is the intonation PERFECT or just close? my experience with tele's is that they really do need to be perfect.
It's perfect. I lowered the bridge pickup and the g string sounds better. I wonder was the pull to much for that one string?

The e string still feels slightly dull though.

Cheers
Plug in and let rip

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul
Laney TF 400
Digitech Brian May Pedal
Digitech RP 300
Various Boss effects
Squier Stratocaster
Boss BCB 60 Pedalboard
The E string could be a result of an oddly/improperly cut nut or saddle. It will take away from the vibrancy and how well it resonates. I suggest taking it to a pro and asking to be sure.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Predator 182
It's perfect. I lowered the bridge pickup and the g string sounds better. I wonder was the pull to much for that one string?

The e string still feels slightly dull though.

Cheers

it could very well be that the pickup pulled too hard. must have been way too high to actually bend the string though. maybe dropping it a touch further will remedy the E string
I'm using 10 guage strings. The strings sound dead even when playing a barr chord. So it can't be the nut. I might try and get new saddles for the E, A and D strings and see if that helps.
Plug in and let rip

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul
Laney TF 400
Digitech Brian May Pedal
Digitech RP 300
Various Boss effects
Squier Stratocaster
Boss BCB 60 Pedalboard
Silly question, but if I fitted this...http://www.dv247.com/guitars/fender-telecaster-6-saddle-bridge-assembly--63418

would it be a straight swop. i.e. string spacing etc. My bridge is flat, as opposed to the one in the link that cerves up at the edges.
Plug in and let rip

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul
Laney TF 400
Digitech Brian May Pedal
Digitech RP 300
Various Boss effects
Squier Stratocaster
Boss BCB 60 Pedalboard
Hey. I actually ended up increasing the height of the G string and lowering the e and it's pretty much made the guitar perfect.

Bit of a strange one my telecaster is:s
Plug in and let rip

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul
Laney TF 400
Digitech Brian May Pedal
Digitech RP 300
Various Boss effects
Squier Stratocaster
Boss BCB 60 Pedalboard