So I have a 6505+ 112, and the stock speaker just isn't cutting it any more. It's far too harsh and just doesn't sound good at high volumes. I'd like to cut the upper mids down a bit, mostly.

Any recs? I was thinking maybe a G12K 100 or a Texas Heat.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
V30.

Loved them with my 6505.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i would probably go k100 over V30, but i haven't heard one with a K100.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would probably go k100 over V30, but i haven't heard one with a K100.

You haven't heard a K100 because everyone has v30's in them.... why would you suggest something if you don't know if it's any good?
id go k100, i replaced my bugera speakers with v-30s for that same reason, and all i got was a better sounding version of the same problem, hah! some people like it but i like the k100, t-75 sound better
from what ive heard K100s are a bit more fizzy, but that can be EQd out no problem i think. i prefer the sound of the K100 over the V30, but you really cant go wrong with either
Quote by Andrew/WK
You haven't heard a K100 because everyone has v30's in them.... why would you suggest something if you don't know if it's any good?

because i have preferred those speakers over V30's with four or five different high gain amps that i own. to name a few Splawn Nitro, Splawn Pro Mod, Ampeg Lee Jackson, a Crate Blue Voodoo.

IMO V30's are the most overrated speaker out there. they are so much a staple in high gain amps, a lot of people don't consider other options. its almost like "oh i need a speaker" "oh i need a V30"

also to the "why would you suggest something if you don't know if its any good?"

its not rocket science, you are selecting something that behaves with certain perameters, in this case freqency response.

look at speaker response curves, listen to those comparasons that you can find on youtube, where you hear 10 different speakers.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Seanthesheep
K100s still sound more "full" to me

thats how i feel too. the may not cut through quite as well as the V30, but they still do the job, and WILL be heard.

a good place to buy used speakers is TGP. sometimes they are dirt cheap.

here is a good speaker comparison by Rivera, unfortunately for you it is a lower bain amp, but you can get a feel for the slight differences, but IMO the K100 sounds a lot better in real life than the V30. but you can still pick up simularities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
thats how i feel too. the may not cut through quite as well as the V30, but they still do the job, and WILL be heard.

a good place to buy used speakers is TGP. sometimes they are dirt cheap.

here is a good speaker comparison by Rivera, unfortunately for you it is a lower bain amp, but you can get a feel for the slight differences, but IMO the K100 sounds a lot better in real life than the V30. but you can still pick up simularities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI

V30 sounded the most natural, although is a bit fizzy, but that can easily be EQ'd out.

Pretty much everything else has these nasty overtones or a "seashell" effect. Some sounded pretty great but still the V30 sounded the best, I don't care however many people say it's overrated and not really that good.
hmm now you guys got me wanting a K100 loaded cab. i wonder how a K100 2x12 would compare to a C-90 4x12.

but i deffinitly think go with the K100, it may not have as much cut but its in a 6505+ an amp with a fairly rediculous amount of cut to begin with
I dont think the combo cuts particularly well, it is only a 112 so it needs all the help it can get, hence the rec for the V30.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
swamp thangs! v30 will be too harsh and bright!!
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
To all the V30 lovers, Your Speakers Suck!! No they don't suck but are wayyyy over rated and don't sound that great. I like eminence speakers, but do think that celestion's G12T75, and K100 are the best speakers they make besides the heritage 12 65 the ultimate celestion IMHO.
To OP:

I have a V30 in mine. Want me to upload some clips?

Quote by Robbgnarly
To all the V30 lovers, Your Speakers Suck!! No they don't suck but are wayyyy over rated and don't sound that great. I like eminence speakers, but do think that celestion's G12T75, and K100 are the best speakers they make besides the heritage 12 65 the ultimate celestion IMHO.

You're an idiot. Ever hear of opinion? Also, the G12T75 is too scooped and the K100 is too bassy; neither of which a metal amp truly needs. Besides that, you didn't offer any proof as to why the V30 sucks or is overrated.

Also, your grammar is terrible and your post was confusing. I get the implication that you're 14 years old.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
because i have preferred those speakers over V30's with four or five different high gain amps that i own. to name a few Splawn Nitro, Splawn Pro Mod, Ampeg Lee Jackson, a Crate Blue Voodoo.

IMO V30's are the most overrated speaker out there. they are so much a staple in high gain amps, a lot of people don't consider other options. its almost like "oh i need a speaker" "oh i need a V30"

also to the "why would you suggest something if you don't know if its any good?"

its not rocket science, you are selecting something that behaves with certain perameters, in this case freqency response.

look at speaker response curves, listen to those comparasons that you can find on youtube, where you hear 10 different speakers.

Or better yet, instead of going to youtube, go to here:

http://www.watfordvalves.com/soundfactory.asp

If you insist on youtube, these are good as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vssNPYihvI4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuw0GD9QK9E
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7421 (MIJ) Dimarzio SD-7/AN-7
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
Ibanez S320 (Tone Zone/PAF Pro)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)
Seagull C-6 Concert Acoustic
Godin MultiAc Nylon Encore

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Mesa Boogie 412 Rectifier Standard Cab
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
Horizon Devices Precision Overdrive
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
Shure GLX wireless system
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus
Last edited by rlheart at Apr 19, 2011,
The V30 has a terrible icepick sound in "most" openback cabs. I know this from exp. And yes sound is subjective. If you like the V30 thats great, but it's not my thing
v30 too much mids/highmids and ice pick highs, i rather have a scooped or bassy speaker and easily eq it out, i think its too hard to work out the v30 flaws, you can always add but you cant take awayyyy
Quote by effyeahjade
v30 too much mids/highmids and ice pick highs, i rather have a scooped or bassy speaker and easily eq it out, i think its too hard to work out the v30 flaws, you can always add but you cant take awayyyy

I keep hearing this, but compared to the Stock Sheffield, my V30 isn't ice picky at all. Also, the 6505 has more low mids than highs, so the V30 adds those high mids that it needs, which gives it a more cutting tone.

Quote by Robbgnarly
The V30 has a terrible icepick sound in "most" openback cabs. I know this from exp. And yes sound is subjective. If you like the V30 thats great, but it's not my thing

Great. The 6505+ 112 isn't openback in the slightest. Try again.

Also to both of you:

It's the complete opposite: you can take away, but you can't add.
Guitars:
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
Last edited by rlheart at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Truer words have never been spoken.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by effyeahjade
so you're telling me you cant get a t-75 and an ibanez tubescreamer, cut some of the extra low and add the aggressive mids? get off my internets

We're talking about speakers and amps here. Not pedals. Don't be retarded.

Besides, if we're going to bring pedals into this a tubescreamer as a boost is going to affect what's already there (and it's only going to add so much to his base tone). If you're fine with that then that's great. It's not going to help OP any for you to be spouting opinion as fact.

Also, to OP, I uploaded a clip of the lead and rhythm channels of my 6505+ 112 w/V30 through my Ibanez RG321 MH w/ EMG 85/85.

It's about 7 minutes long, but I hope it helps. (Sorry the lead channel chugga chugga sucks. I couldn't really think of a riff so I just played whatever.)

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/rlheart/music/all/play985661

If you match my settings on your current amp, you should be able to get a good comparison going. (I say them somewhere in the clip around the 3:50 mark, but for reference, here they are: Lead: presence 8.5, resonance: 2, post: .9, high: 7, mid: 8.5, low:2.5, pre: 4.5. Rhythm: presence: 3.5, resonance: 5.5, post: 1, high: 3, mid: 7, low: 7, pre: under 1. Keep in mind that I'm in a dorm room currently, so if you crank your amp you'll have to change things a bit.)

ANYWAYS, since you said you want to cut upper mids with a speaker swap, I recommend the G12T-75.
Guitars:
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
ok heres my opinion on speakers:

G12T-75: aweful compared to the V30 and K100

V30: decent sounding speaker, imo overrated but on its own it sounds fine.ust not as good as the K100

K100: best sounding speaker ive heard, sounds the most full and has enough cut, especially with good cutting amps like the 6505 series.

if you want more cut, go with the v30
if youre fine for cut and just want a full sound then go with the K100

thats my opinion and hope it doesnt get flamed to hell
Quote by effyeahjade
the k100 is a higher power handling T-75, your opinion is now invalid

With a different frequency spectrum and a heavier magnet as provided by Celestion themselves!

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/detail.asp?ID=5

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/detail.asp?ID=32

Granted they are similar, but different.

Your "facts" are now invalid.
Guitars:
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by effyeahjade
the k100 is a higher power handling T-75, your opinion is now invalid

This is 100% false the higher power handling G12T75 is the G12T100 the K100 is a higher power G12K90 (the first KK speaker.
spectrem? you're going to have to do a little better then a little more high end, of course theres gonna be a miniscule differece with the larger battery for POWER HANDLING but it runs the same curve
Quote by rlheart
To OP:

Or better yet, instead of going to youtube, go to here:

http://www.watfordvalves.com/soundfactory.asp

If you insist on youtube, these are good as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vssNPYihvI4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuw0GD9QK9E

thats a nice link. thanks. added to favorites.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
thats a nice link. thanks. added to favorites.

No problem man.

I try to know what I'm talking about and help people out when I can. I found that site when I was trying to pick a replacement speaker for my 6505+ 112.

Quote by effyeahjade
spectrem? you're going to have to do a little better then a little more high end, of course theres gonna be a miniscule differece with the larger battery for POWER HANDLING but it runs the same curve

It's "spectrum". And wtf are you talking about? Guitar amp speakers don't have a battery. Also, running the same frequency curve doesn't mean they sound the same; the magnet will have more of an effect on that than the overall frequency curve.

You've done nothing but spout false information and opinion purported as fact. Please do everyone a favor and shut up.
Guitars:
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
You're both wrong - all those speakers suck.

Argument settled.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Hm, V30 is sounding more and more tempting.

Also rlheart I NEED to know how you got those cleans! Those are astoundingly good, I can't get those out of my 6505+.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Hm, V30 is sounding more and more tempting.

Also rlheart I NEED to know how you got those cleans! Those are astoundingly good, I can't get those out of my 6505+.

With EMG's no doubt. = )
(they're 85's though so that makes a bit of a difference.)

Keep in mind that I'm using the combo and I'm at extremely low volumes in those clips (in a dorm), but I've replicated the clean at higher volumes. ( This might not work for the head, but you have the combo so w/e lol).

Put it on your rhythm channel (crunch off), turn the pre all the way down, and then turn the post up to where you can hear it. Once here, turn the pre up until it "kicks" in, then set the post to taste. I find that lowering the highs helps with breakup issues as well.

Turning down the tone knob on your guitar helps too (if you want a jazzy clean), but is bad in a real situation where you will need that extra oomph once you switch channels.

Otherwise, if that doesn't work, turn down your volume knob a little. Oh and watch your strumming (especially if you have actives). On my other guitars (with passives) I can strum pretty hard before it'll distort.

One other note, the cleans on my amp were a night and day difference with a tube and speaker swap (my stock tubes were terrible, but I didn't know it until I changed them. My lead channel with post on 5 with my stock tubes was equivalent to my current tubes with lead channel post on 2).

The "6505+112 Clean" clip on my page is with the stock tubes and speaker mic'd with a SM57 before I knew how to properly mic an amp lol. You can hear a lot of breakup on it cause I didn't know what I was doing at the time (the amp was still really new to me).
Guitars:
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
Last edited by rlheart at Apr 20, 2011,
You should also consider a WarehouseGuitarSpeakers.com Veteran 30. It is a Vintage 30 clone for about $80 and without the upper mid spike. Never played one though but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Celestion Classic Lead 80 or Eminence Man O War are two speakers I've played that I can recommend. And Splawn Smallblocks.