What are some exercises I can do to make my gutiar playing cleaner.
when I play it just sounds so messy sometimes.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Same things you're doing now, just at a tempo where you can control what you're doing. There is no magic exercise that will suddenly make you play cleaner.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by xevious1
keep playing the same thing over and over until its clean

no.

play something slow, get it clean, speed it up, repeat
Practicing something over and over does not mean you'll be able to play it cleaner, it just means whatever you're doing now will be engrained into your muscle memory. Playing what you're playing now at a tempo where you can play cleanly, however, will eventually result in cleaner playing at higher tempos for the same reason (you develop muscle memory of playing cleanly).

Metronomes only help you keep time, they won't clean up messy playing.

Like Zaphod and Rickyj said, the best thing you can do is slow things down.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Apr 18, 2011,
my bass teacher always told me to first try to hit one single tone clean, than the next, than the next...

tear your piece apart into small chunks and try to play them as slow and clean as possible. Slowly glue the bit together and presto!
yeah, i know it takes a hell lot of time, but the result is worth the effort (and practice takes time, rite?)
Definitely work on your muting technique, working on muting unwanted strings on your guitar when you are not playing the. That is definitely one thing overlooked by many beginners. Also work on your note articulation, you'll want nice, clean, clear, precise notes, not weak sounding notes. Also work on your rhythm.
like others have already said - the big help would be to play really slow first , then go faster , while you go faster make sure your previous tempo playing was clean !! try using a metronome!
The biggest thing that helped me cleaning up my playing alot was just analysing my technique.

Watch how your hand(s) positioned and how you could change/improve it to mute other area's.

^^^^ Listen to these guys mostly though, Good luck!
Really pay attention to the sound you make and watch both of your hands and every move they make, if a movement makes the sound worse, change it so it sounds good.

There are simply too many things which could make playing 'unclean' for there to be a certain 'technique' to play cleaner.
Quote by Metallicuh
What are some exercises I can do to make my gutiar playing cleaner.
when I play it just sounds so messy sometimes.

Aside from all the good advice above.. I would add to find out WHY your playing sounds messy, I mean specifically.
Analyze and isolate what your problems are.
Slow down, and as said above watch both your hands. (Use a mirror if you have to) Watch your arms too.
That's a good first step... then go fix those problems (slowly).

It helps to pay close attention to detail if you want to improve technique. good luck.
Ok, check this out. First you need to go to the nearest McDonald's eat one McDouble with NO onions. After that go out to the parking lot, hop on one foot 4 times clockwise and 7 times counterclockwise while reciting lines from AC/DC's Back in Black. Immediately after that run and punch the nearest female in her lady parts. Then and only then will you need to rush back home and send me your life savings and all of your belongings. The next time you actually pick up a guitar after all of these key steps you will be able to do things you you never though possible on guitar. Good luck.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

I actually got a serious answer :P hhaha there is no formula but there is common mistakes that make life harder..

check out you got this basics right.. i know i didnt have them untill i saw this video

have fun
Quote by brandon2784
Ok, check this out. First you need to go to the nearest McDonald's eat one McDouble with NO onions. After that go out to the parking lot, hop on one foot 4 times clockwise and 7 times counterclockwise while reciting lines from AC/DC's Back in Black. Immediately after that run and punch the nearest female in her lady parts. Then and only then will you need to rush back home and send me your life savings and all of your belongings. The next time you actually pick up a guitar after all of these key steps you will be able to do things you you never though possible on guitar. Good luck.

WTF? I did everything you said and my guitar playing is the same!
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by Metallicuh
WTF? I did everything you said and my guitar playing is the same!

Did you make shure it was a "McDouble" and not just a "Double Cheese" ? ?

P.S. For those wondering........There is only one slice of cheese on a mcdouble as compared to 2 for the DCB. However, There is also a difference between the meat product used in the McDouble as well. The double cheeseburger contains 100% beef product while the McDouble contains patties that contain a mixture of beef and a filler mostly containing oatmeal. This constitutes the $.20 lower cost for the McDouble.

I am not affiliated with mcdonalds in any way.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
Last edited by cooper1965 at Apr 20, 2011,