My mom today went from being a normal guitarists mom, criticizing gear purchases and complaining about prices constantly to possibly the coolest guitarists mom ever. Ill start at the beginning, my SGs headstock snapped off and today while i was at school she went to one of the small local stores and was completely educated about guitars and amps and now she is saying how she should get me a new guitar because its an investment in my future. so i go to the shop and we have a conversation about G&L guitars and he takes me around showing me heritage les pauls and talks about how the quality is better than gibson les pauls and stuff, and hamer guitars which are PRSs, but in his words have much better mids to cut through the mix which as he believes is the only problem with PRS. i know he is trying to make sales, but i also know that G&Ls are great guitars argueably better than fenders, so do you guys have any help clarifying what he has said? i would love some help since my mom is now willing to drop a grand or so on a guitar.

tldr; how are hamer, G&L, and heritage compared to PRS, fender, and Gibson?
All I can say is... I absolutely LOVE my Hamer... And my best mate/rhythm guitarists Hamer... And my bassist (different band) Hamer that I use for alt. Tuning...

Erm... So yeah... Hamer guitars are FANTASTIC!
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
If you're talking about getting a new guitar, we need to know what you want to play to tell you whats better.
Well its just up the road from my house so i could walk there if need be, i was wondering about the quality and how they compared to the more famous brands, i could very easily try them out and play with them i just didnt have time today to try out 10 different guitars
Well, I can tell you G&L is made by Fender, and the one I played was really nice, but I personally prefer my strat. I think I would take a PRS, depending on the model, over either of those too.
Hamers are Fantastic guitars.
If you can get an American Hamer, IMO better quality then any Gibson.
Check out the Talladega
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Soccerguy
Well, I can tell you G&L is made by Fender, and the one I played was really nice, but I personally prefer my strat. I think I would take a PRS, depending on the model, over either of those too.

no.

G and L was owned by Leo Fender. They have nothing to do with Fender Musical Instruments.

All 3 are great brands.

stay away from the chinese hamers though.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Both of Judas Priest's guitarists used Hamers in the 80s and Glenn Tipton has pretty much exclusively been using them since '84, if you like Priest, and I hear they're pretty good anyways. I played a lower-end G&L Saturday out of boredom(at least I think it was lower end, $500 Legacy), and it was better than the Fender Mexican Strats I've played tonally though I'm inexperienced with single-coils. XD And I've never heard of Heritage.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I've been through quite a good number of Strats and Teles in my day. I have nothing but the highest opinion of G&L's guitars. Especially the ASAT and Blues Boy series. The G&L teles are light years beyond Fender's standard line, I think.
i believe Alex Skolnick (sp?) plays heritage les pauls. he said he prefers them over gibsons if that is any indication
i believe you are correct about alex, and judas priest isnt really the tone im looking for, the heaviest i play is really sabbath and tool. im tying to go more blues that can range from john mayer cleans to zeppelin-esque riffing
The Heritage makes great guitars. It is you that has to decide if any make is worth buying. As for style of playing. You can play just about anything on any guitar. The only place you might run into problems is high gain on a hollow body.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by jesus=dinosaur
i believe you are correct about alex, and judas priest isnt really the tone im looking for, the heaviest i play is really sabbath and tool. im tying to go more blues that can range from john mayer cleans to zeppelin-esque riffing

Theres a few videos floating around on youtube of a Hamer standard flametop (explorer) handling jazz and blues perfectly.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
The guitar is really close to the least important link in the chain. Amp and the player have more to do with it then anything for over all sound. Yes, a great feeling guitar will make you want to play and will help you play better but in the end you will sound like you.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Not talking from experience, but only passing on what I've heard. But USA G&Ls are of higher quality compared to their Fender counterparts.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Heritage are fantastic guitars - and while I've never gotten my hands on a G&L I've heard nothing bad about them - especially the ASAT line.