Hey everyone!

So I'm in a composition class dealing with the Cello. Here's my third project for it.
Audio
Score

I posted this in the recordings section, but since its not "really" a recording of me playing (its midi), and since its more of a composition, I figured the theory section might be interested as well.

Anyways, I would really appreciate any comments!
as an ambient piece it works real well, i could see this in a movie. as a musical piece it didn't really feel like it went anywhere, more like it wanted me to hang out in a dark corner with it and peek around for a knife wielding maniac.
It seems incredibly difficult. Are you sure you don't want to arrange it for a string quartet instead of a solo cello? I don't think many cellists are used to playing large intervals and counterpoint like that.

EDIT: Then again I don't know anything about playing the cello.
Last edited by Sóknardalr at Apr 18, 2011,
preEDIT:^ I don't know a tonne about the cello, but it seemed pretty playable. Most of the pedal notes were open strings and most of the large leaps or chords had open strings in them too. It should be completely manageable for a competent cellist.

Start on a good note: I really liked the last two bars.

Other than that, I did not understand the middle section, marked slow, at all. It was obviously contrasting, but I didn't feel like it developed anywhere or helped me understand something that had gone before or was about to happen. It just seemed out of place formally.

And I think form is my major issue with it, in general. Pitch-wise I could understand what you were doing, but in terms of form, it just didn't go anywhere. You built up to this high point at mm. 23 and then turned into the slow section and then quickly reverted back to where you were already, built up again and then ended. I just couldn't follow it anywhere, formally. As I said, the middle section was out of place, but I think it's probably the best part of the piece (it's my favourite at least) because it sounded quite charged, whereas the pedal point in the other sections seemed to just kind of do nothing.

End on a good note: I liked the way you started and ended all of the sections and the lines had a kind of inherent energy to them that I really enjoyed.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Apr 18, 2011,
For me the repeated 6/8 rhythmic motif got boring fast.

The (brief) second theme worked well. I like the ending too.

And yeah it's fine for a cellist to play.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Apr 18, 2011,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
preEDIT:^ I don't know a tonne about the cello, but it seemed pretty playable. Most of the pedal notes were open strings and most of the large leaps or chords had open strings in them too. It should be completely manageable for a competent cellist.

Okay then. I'm not really in the mood to dissect it especially since I don't play the cello so I'll just take your word for it. As for the piece itself I find it's a bit stagnant but there are some good ideas. I agree with z4twenny in that it's good background music but as piece intended for an audience it's not really that arresting or exciting. Also a question is it supposed to sound like one sustained drone note or is that just the MIDI's fault?
Maybe a introduction for the guidelines of the piece would have explained what I was doing a little better. We were instructed to create a piece wherein we use a limited number of pitched materials, and we were supposed to introduce these materials slowly over a given amount of time.

As such, the opening and closing material are all statements of the entire pitch content of the piece. The repetitive section serves the function of fulfilling the assignment requirements (and I hadn't done anything minimalist for a while, so I thought I'd refresh my aquaintence with those techniques since they seemed to fit with the requirements).

The driving point, at least what I wanted it to be, was textural, rather then strictly pitched development. The middle section was just a chorale using the pitched material, and it makes a little more sense when considered in context of another piece I wrote for the class (which is based upon that middle chorale, and I consider as the "movement" before this one). And the closing section was to complete the process I had already set up (again, minimalism).
Last edited by nmitchell076 at Apr 18, 2011,
Quote by Sóknardalr
Okay then. I'm not really in the mood to dissect it especially since I don't play the cello so I'll just take your word for it. As for the piece itself I find it's a bit stagnant but there are some good ideas. I agree with z4twenny in that it's good background music but as piece intended for an audience it's not really that arresting or exciting. Also a question is it supposed to sound like one sustained drone note or is that just the MIDI's fault?

MIDI's fault, its supposed to be very light and detached. Thats another thing that I think would work better in a live performance, if you look on the score, there is supposed to be a gradual shift from sul tasto to extremely sul ponticello, and a gradual mood shift from really relaxed and ethereal to extremely agitated and impassioned. These are things that a live performer would be able to do effectively, but that a midi just is incapable of doing.
it seems cool, in terms of ideas--but it doesn't really feel like its going anywhere, nor does it feel particularly enticing (to me, anyway--Im sure a lot of people will feel differently). it would be very cool as a score to a movie, or even as a section in a larger piece, or as an accompaniment figure to an art song---but on its own I'm not crazy about. then again, its very possible that a real live performer will be able to make it much more interesting then the MIDI did.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
That seems to be a good idea that you have done there. I just hope that things would be okay when you would be able to really get things done on that one.