I'm a huge Operation Ivy and Rancid fan, and I've been a fan of Matt Freeman's for years. I recently came across this video and fell in love. I went to musiciansfriend to find out it's only $350.
I'm not trying to say it's new or anything, I just want to know if you guys think it's worth it. I have the money and can easily purchase it. I'd love to be able to have one of my favorite bassist's signature P-Bass.
I ve always liked Matt Freeman, and here in Texas most high-end Squires are considerably better quality than MiM Fender.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Quote by loinmute
I ve always liked Matt Freeman, and here in Texas most high-end Squires are considerably better quality than MiM Fender.

I've heard that a lot, and in my opinion, it just looks better. The bridge looks sturdier, the body looks cleaner, the neck looks bigger and stronger.

EDIT: I love your signature, by the way. Prog is the best.
Last edited by JahRiddim at Apr 18, 2011,
Quote by loinmute
most high-end Squires are considerably better quality than MiM Fender.

People need to stop saying this.

It's not true.

They are comparable and a particularily good Squier is better than a lemon of a MIM.

OT: they are new, and IMO it looks pretty good.

If you like the specs, go for it.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Apr 18, 2011,
Quote by gilly_90

It's not true.
even though I said Texas, you left that out

They are comparable and a particularily good Squier is better than a lemon of a MIM.

OT: they are new, and IMO it looks pretty good.

If you like the specs, go for it.

Hey it is quite true in my region. It just is what it is. From the factory alot of MiM are not setup at all, and what is going on with their sharp a@@ fret bevels? Maybe the "lemons" are being dumped in Central Texas. Seriously, music store managers have even talked with me about the poor QC at the MiM operations.

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Last edited by loinmute at Apr 18, 2011,
I'm sure Fender discriminates on the quality of the instruments they send to Texas.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
I'm sure Fender discriminates on the quality of the instruments they send to Texas.

Not intentionaly, but NAFTA does dictate TExas to be the 1st U.S location for shipment. I am sure in Aukland or Zealand; ya'll know quite abit about Mexican import logistics. I think you guys have alot of the MiM stuff from a few years back. We get the 2009-2011 stuff. Seriously, the market is more demanding here than in Australia. But thanks for your academic insight from the Southern Hemisphere

Quote by gilly_90

It's not true.

I've played a shitload of Squiers and a bigger shitload of MIM Fenders. I can say, without a doubt, that CV Squiers are better than MIM Fenders, VM Squiers are comparable. The Deluxe Squier can be better or worse depending on taste.
Quote by loinmute
Not intentionaly, but NAFTA does dictate TExas to be the 1st U.S location for shipment. I am sure in Aukland or Zealand; ya'll know quite abit about Mexican import logistics. I think you guys have alot of the MiM stuff from a few years back. We get the 2009-2011 stuff. Seriously, the market is more demanding here than in Australia. But thanks for your academic insight from the Southern Hemisphere

Honestly, I'm finding it hard to work out whether you're being arrogant, ignorant or just plain dumb.
You're assuming you know sales statistics of places you don't even know the proper names of. (Auckland is the capital city of New Zealand by the way, an entirely different country to the one I'm in. )
Most stores are going to have some NOS stuff. Even your big Guitar Centre stores, and I assure you most stores over here are going to be stocking mostly late '10 to early '11 stuff. Yes, people buy basses over here too! WOW! We have schools as well, go figure.
I don't see how Texas getting the first shipment from Mexico has anything to do with MIM quality vs Squier CV/VM quality.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by consecutive e
Honestly, I'm finding it hard to work out whether you're being arrogant, ignorant or just plain dumb.
You're assuming you know sales statistics of places you don't even know the proper names of. (Auckland is the capital city of New Zealand by the way, an entirely different country to the one I'm in. )
Most stores are going to have some NOS stuff. Even your big Guitar Centre stores, and I assure you most stores over here are going to be stocking mostly late '10 to early '11 stuff. Yes, people buy basses over here too! WOW! We have schools as well, go figure.
I don't see how Texas getting the first shipment from Mexico has anything to do with MIM quality vs Squier CV/VM quality.

I am being arrogant. Seriously, I don't know why, but in San Antonio and Austin at G.C: the MiM's main issue was the sharp fret bevels, common also to the bevels being un-common from one another. For ex. frets 1-3 are cut beveled at a 45deg angle, but frets 4,5,8,12 are at a 70deg angle. The CV Squiers I played didn't have that problem. Just saying it is what it is. It sounds like you played some good MiM's. I remember in the late 90's the MiM's were great. Now this is what I ve seen with the CV Squires vs. MiM Standards here in Central Texas. Whatever the reason...I really don't know.

Well here is something to get it back on track: Matt Freeman's gear...
This is quote from BassPlayer/9/1996:
After years of favored P-Bass and a brief period of experimentation with various instruments, Freeman has settled on the Fender Jazz as his axe of choice. "For a while", he grins, "I had this thing about buying cheap basses - you know ´I´m a punk rocker,´ and all that. They´d sound okay, but when I went on tour they´d fall apart. Finally, I just saved my money and bought two Jazz Basses. They sound really good, and they´ve got very thin necks, which helps me because my hands are small."
When his roadworn Acoustic 320 head and 4x15 cabinet finally needed rest, Matt found himself on the market for a new rig. "I´d always gone for whatever looked durable and woudln´t be too big a loss if it got ripped off," he laughs. "So when we began recording, I didn´t know what to get. Then I went next door where Jawbreaker was recording and asked their producer, Rob Cavallo - the guy who did Green Day - `Dude, what did Mike Dirnt play on Dookie?` I really liked that sound, and Rob told me it was an Ampeg SVT-II Pro. I went right out and bought one!" The big tube head powers a single Ampeg 8X10 cabinet, and Matt says that´s plenty. "In places with good PAs, youi don´t really need a ballbuster. This SVT pumps - plus I go direct at clubs. I mean, how much amp do you want?"
(end quote)

So as I´ve understood it, the first two records(Rancid & Let´s Go) he recorded with that Acoustic 320 /w 4x15 and P-bass and then ...And out come the wolves with Ampeg SVT-II Pro /w 8x10 and P-bass and never recorded with that J-Bass. On Life won´t wait and Rancid(2000) he used mainly GK RB2001 and a custom Ibanez - I could be wrong on the model, just guessing - sr4. I´ve also seen an early Rancid pic(or could actually be Operation Ivy pic as well) with Matt playing a MusicMan Stingray I myself like his sound best on "...And out come the wolves". Haven´t got a clue on what he used with Operation Ivy. I have seen pics but can´t identify the bass(es).
Also interesting was what he said in BassPlayer/don´t-remember-the-issue(I´ve got that somewhere but too lazy to search now)/1998 that Bloodclot was recorded with his RB2001 /w 8x10 and Acoustic 320 /w 4x15 both running at the same time. Personally I think his sound on Bloodclot was brilliant, I´d kill to get that sound

O.o
Okay.
Anyway.
I think I've decided on a Classic Vibe '50s P-Bass. I heard it has a wider string spacing.
Quote by consecutive e
Auckland is the capital city of New Zealand by the way

It might be our biggest city, but it's not the capital. Wellington is.

</completelymissingthepoint>
Quote by AxolotlShredder

Haha. Silly Aussies.
Quote by AxolotlShredder

Really? Wellington? Weird, but not so weird considering our capital in Canberra of all of our shitty cities.

Quote by JahRiddim
Haha. Silly Aussies.

I'm actually a Kiwi . By blood anyway.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Really? Wellington? Weird, but not so weird considering our capital in Canberra of all of our shitty cities.

Well you're still silly.
Quote by consecutive e

Yep, Auckland and Canberra are example of "created" cities. Not disimilar to Madrid in Spain. It was "created" in the Renaissance period to unite all the Spanish regions and as a result llies directly in the middle of Spain (littlerly people drew lines to find the centre and built Madrid there) as purely administrative towns to start with, rarther than say Sydney, Wellington, London, Milan etc, which were built due to thier geographical location and developed due to their attraction (rivers, seas etc).

Back on Topic. higher end squires are definatley competitive with MiM fenders! In the end down to personal taste
Quote by Puppet_616
Back on Topic. higher end squires are definatley competitive with MiM fenders! In the end down to personal taste

But it's always nice to have others opinions.
I play bass in two different bands, but I play the same P-Bass in both, and she's starting to feel the effects. She's a Standard MiM P-Bass, but she gets the job done. So right now I'm looking at a bass that has a nice string spacing (I have really long fingers and don't like thin necks, I'm also double jointed in my thumb so a thicker neck helps stop it from pushing back.), is fairly cheap, and works for Pop-Punk (Which is why I'm going with the CV '50s Telebass). But at the same time, I'm looking for a short scale bass that has that P-Bass punch, for my Traditional Hardcore band, but I can throw it around on stage, climb on support beams, stage dive, and not be weighed down. (Which is why I'm looking at a Fender Mustang bass).
I'd REALLY appreciate opinions on both basses, if possible.

EDIT: I also have my own thing, it's a Reggae solo thing, but I play everything. There's no singing, and the main focus is the bass. So I plan on getting a Hofner Club in the future.
Last edited by JahRiddim at Apr 22, 2011,
^ What do you mean by fairly cheap? I would suggest a Warwick or Spector if you like chunky necks. But they can get pricey.

Quote by loinmute
^ What do you mean by fairly cheap? I would suggest a Warwick or Spector if you like chunky necks. But they can get pricey.

The CV Squier is $350, has a nice wide neck with perfect string spacing and it's not too heavy, not too light. So it's perfect for my Pop Punk band. The rest of my money is going towards a SHORT-SCALE bass for my Traditional Hardcore band, so that's about $700 for that.
I owned a Warwick, wasn't a big fan because the body was incredibly heavy and I could not move around. My back would be killing me by the end of a show.
I feel ya about heavy basses. I have back issues and MM Rays kill me after 30min. Alder is alot lighter. I 2nd the Classic Vibe, great quality for the cash. Lately I ve seen a few with an amazingly beautiful transparent finish. Sorta an orange type burst. Really sweet guitars imo. I am considring a CV P-bass myself, actually if I had $350 I would have one already.

Quote by loinmute
I feel ya about heavy basses. I have back issues and MM Rays kill me after 30min. Alder is alot lighter. I 2nd the Classic Vibe, great quality for the cash. Lately I ve seen a few with an amazingly beautiful transparent finish. Sorta an orange type burst. Really sweet guitars imo. I am considring a CV P-bass myself, actually if I had $350 I would have one already.

I mean look at it. It's gorgeous.
Quote by JahRiddim

I mean look at it. It's gorgeous.

Here is a totally subjective statement: from what I ve seen; the maple fretboard classic vibes have the best fretwork.