Why yes! It's a NAD! Just bought a used Peavey JSX tube head to accompany my new Harley Benton G212 cab!

To begin, here's a family portrait.

To begin, the head. There are 3 channels: Clean, Crunch and Ultra. To add more equalisation, there's Presence and Resonance knobs also. The Crunch and Ultra channels both have a FAT switch respectively which basically thickens up the signal. Some argue that for a big chunky Les Paul it's definitely not needed but in the case of a single coiled strat etc. it's a helpful addition. Both these channels can be controlled by the built in noise gate, but, at any sort of high-gain you will always have medium buzz.
To compensate for active pickups/high output pickups there are two separate input jacks High-Gain and Low-Gain. High-Gain for passive pups and Low-Gain for active pups.
Also there's the general Power On, Standby and Master Volume. The cleans are pristine and I've never had so much gain. The ultra channel is perfect for a solo boost when you use the footswitch.

Now, for those who care, here are the innards!

The previous owner had the stock tubes replaced with JJ 6L6's and JJ 12AX7's except for the Phase Inverter which is a Sovtek 12AX7LPS. Unfortunately, as this is my first tube amp I can't offer any comparisons to other tubes. On the chassis, there's a switch to change between an EL34 bias and a 6L6 bias, but, as 6L6's apparently run cold in the 6L6 mode, these were biased in the EL34 mode which makes them run hotter. On the rear of the head, there are various ports for effect loops, line out, line out level, two output jacks which are accompanied by an impedance selector 4,8 or 16 Ohms, footswitch in, send and return levels for effects loop, power socket, 220/250 Volts selector (50/60 Hertz) and finally two bias tester ports (+/-), warning, there are notoriously wrong and un-precise.

The Harley Benton is front-loaded with 12'' Celestion Vintage 30's and is a closed back cab. There's a switchable Mono/Stereo input (8/16 Ohms). I have it in Stereo and here's a pic.

At 120W it's quite loud and I currently have each volume at 5 and the master at 3. So far, I'm loving it but I must say, feedback's a bitch . The fat switch used with the Resonance knob can give a nice tight bottom end. With the Ultra channel, I feel that a Tubescreamer is, for once, not needed but tbh I've get to try one so I might be wrong. So far, I'm enjoying this amp immensely but I'll be playing a greater variety of stuff through it in the next while, Children Of Bodom etc. As I have learned, the chassis is easily taken out of the wooden housing as I removed a crazy amount of dust, more dust than one person can understand! So yes, I end this NAD on the subject of dust....
Very nice, one of my favorite amps, HNAD!

That's a nice Ibanez btw, what model is it?
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
HNAD

Great amp!

Also, why are you running in stereo? What is the impedence/resistance of your cab?

The cab in mono is 8 Ohms and in stereo is 16 Ohms, ie. it's wired in parallel.
The head can switch between 4, 8 and 16 Ohms. And as to why, no idea....

EDIT: It's an Ibanez RG370DX.

EDIT II: Forgot to add, cost me €620 for the JSX and €200 for the cab.
Last edited by conor-figgy at Apr 18, 2011,
If I were you, I wouldn't use patch cables as speaker cable.

It's abysmally stupid and will probably result in output transformer death.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
HNAD

I've always wondered...

If you touch a tube while the amp is on, does it burn you like a light bulb???
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
HNAD

I've always wondered...

If you touch a tube while the amp is on, does it burn you like a light bulb???

nope they are actually quite cool. go ahead.

edit: disclaimer, don't touch t00bz during or just after use as they are hot and remain hot for some time.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 18, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
nope they are actually quite cool. go ahead.

hmmmm... I'm not sure if I should trust you...
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Do it you won't.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Do it you won't.

got that right
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by bubb_tubbs

Yeah, your amp is going to die if you do that. And cook those cables.
oh dude the orange cables your using in your cab are totally cool!

i wish I had cables like that.

sweet new amp man!
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Yes, tubes can get hot and stay hot even after turning off.

Quote by conor-figgy
The cab in mono is 8 Ohms and in stereo is 16 Ohms, ie. it's wired in parallel.
The head can switch between 4, 8 and 16 Ohms. And as to why, no idea....

I would read up on this a bit more and maybe ask in the Only XXX/JSX/Ultra thread or on the forums at peavey.com

If you have two 8 ohm speakers wired in Series then your cab is 16 ohms total. If you have have two 16 ohm speakers wired in Parallel then your cab is 8 ohms total. Check our #28 in the Users Manual. It appears to me that the extra speaker out jack is for driving a second cab. Those two jacks are wired in parallel which means if you want to run 2 - 16 ohm cabs your amp will want to see an 8 ohm load.

Personally I would just hook one good speaker cable up in Mono from your head to your cab and set the amp switch to whatever the cab's impedance/resistance is in ohms. Like the rest of us.

Otherwise, I didn't mean to sidetrack you. Great NAD thread
HAD!! love the JSX, almost bought one a few months ago.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Waitwaitwaitwait.

Are those seriously patch cables connecting your head to your cab?

It WAS a nice JSX.....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by bubb_tubbs

tr00 starry brah
Quote by polishedbullet
ProTip: Blue patch cables deliver a brighter tone after the signal is passed through the tone stack and phase inverter. I recommend Mogami cables; you should be able to find a 1' cable for about $30.

Ok thanks! Sorry guys, had no idea what I'd done
see how helpful we are?

yea just get a proper "speaker" cable for the thing.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
see how helpful we are?

yea just get a proper "speaker" cable for the thing.

Yeah To be fair, you all saved me from ruining my amp.