Hello! well here it is in short. i write most of the music for my metal band. and its hard for me to write for two guitars. (the other guitarist is great but is a freakin idiot when it comes to actually knowing his instrument didnt know what action was or what pickups did or what is a good amp) and iv been thinking that it would be easier just to have one guitar due to how technical our music is. But in short Do you need two guitars to sound heavy? thanks!
nah, you just need to be loud.

And if you add maybe a LITTLE of chorus and split your signal to two amps/speakers, you should get a similar sound.

or find a better guitarist.
The only way two guitarrists can work together is if both are almost at the same skill. with this I mean that they must be synchronized in order to sound good with two guitars. easy as that, and well, live shows are a bitch if you guys dont have already volumes and effects set up
it depends on the music and the guitar players
some songs only need 1 guitar player
some songs are great because of harmonies from having two guitar players (an example imo is avenged sevenfold or escape the fate with omar)
i would lean against two, its creates a fuller sound, you have so much more possibilites with harmonies and stuff, and one provides the backing while the other does the solo. It opens up a lot more possibilities than only having one, especially if he is also the vocalist.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I'd say one. But I'm very picky when it comes to that, I want to be in control of all the guitar sound (unless it's experimental music of any kind), so I can't really work with other guitarists, which sort of limits me sometimes, but in most cases the 'other' guitarist and me just don't have the right, or the same, playing ability or style to work out. That's just me though, and I play a lot with keyboardists, who can replace guitars for harmonies, ambiences etcetera. I guess it all boils down to personal preferences. I'd say if the music doesn't need it, for god's sake don't use it, it just makes it messier due to more factors that can possibly go wrong. Keep it limited, but that's just my view.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
I would def say go for two guitarist overall theres more you can do, it seems soo much more convient than having to handle all the guitar yourself.
Why stop at two? Get five and then you'll sound heavy as balls.

But on a serious note, if you're gonna have two guitarists in any band, not just metal, the both need to be able to hold their own and contribute to the sound of the band. Either by writing their own parts to compliment yours, or by beaing able to play what you've written for them the way it should be played.
I'd say defiantly go for it, if you want to play quite technical music, it's really nice to have 2 guitars that can support each other, do harmonies. And you just said he was a great guitarist, so why not?

I don't see why you're mentioning his not knowing what action is, not every guitarist is a DIY dude. Actually MOST guitarist aren't the DIY yourself style, and just bring their guitars to a guitar store and have everything done. Inability to get a good tone, might be annoying though, but if that's really a problem just tell him and play around with the knobs yourself.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
I think the most important thing you could possibly do is listen to each-other. Talk about what you'd like the sound to be and really learn to communicate. That and also know when one of you should lay out and not play anything at all. I would say it's equally important to know when not to play as it is what to play.
With one guitarist, you'll have to make sure you're filling up all your sonic space. If you're not careful, it can sometimes sound a bit thin. But if done correctly, there's no reason you can't have one instead of two. I'd rather hear one interesting guitar, than two guitars where the second either plays nothing but chords or nothing but harmonies.
Depends on how the guitarists work together, sometimes 2 guitars just end up a muddy mess.
I definitely think having two guitarist will give you a much fuller sound. Even in most live cases where you have a band that is a 3 piece or 4 piece with only one guitarist they generally have a hired guitarist for live performances.

Who's playing rhythm? A lot of stuff I write has the lead playing an octave up and then the other guitar playing one down, and then the bass down another or at the same as the rhythm.

Most of my rhythm guitar riffs are just power chords following the voicing of the lead.
It merely depends on your personal preference.

However if there are two guitars playing the same part in every song, except one does a solo sometimes, I don't really see the point.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
It merely depends on your personal preference.

However if there are two guitars playing the same part in every song, except one does a solo sometimes, I don't really see the point.

This is an excellent point. I did the same for my old Rock band and it according to people who saw us live it came across well.
If you guys can work together (what Keith Richards called "the ancient art of weaving") then go for it. That's how it was in my previous band. Neither of us played strictly rhythm or lead. We'd play the parts that felt right. We sounded good too.
Last edited by SynthRay at Apr 19, 2011,
I'm in a one-guitar band, but I always track over on my recordings so on the "Studio" recordings there will be 2-3 guitar tracks, even though I'm the only guitarist in the band. I do however know how to fill out the sound live. That's my recommendation.
Depends on what you want out of your band. Being the only guitar gives you more control over what kind of music is written or played. Fewer people in the band means easier decision making. And being the only guitarist means you will have more room for your giant ego and attention-***** needs. You also won't have to compete with the other guitarist for chicks (or dudes, or whatever the preference may be).

But as a lone guitarist you also totally own ALL guitar F'ups. Live sound is a little thin with only one, but not bad with the right fx. Our band had a couple of gigs where the other guitarist had a freakout moment and froze up (like a singer forgetting all the lyrics. - which, btw, has also happened!). Nobody really noticed much that he quit playing because my guitar carried the part in his absence.

I also lay down 2-3 tracks when I record, since I only record my own stuff.

Our band's rhythm guitar has only been playing for about 2 years, and doesn't do any soloing. Sometimes I wish he would so we could take things to a higher sonic level. But at the end of the day, he's a cool dude and I wouldn't want to F up our band's groove as friends. Like I said, figure out what's important to you. Our band does this for fun.
If you're good enough, you can get away with one guitar. Want proof?

Rush.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
If you're good enough, you can get away with one guitar. Want proof?

Rush.

SOAD, Pantera, Veil Of Maya, Rage Against The Machine, Muse, tons of other big bands all did their thing with 1 guitar live as far as I remember.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by liposuctionband
Hello! well here it is in short. i write most of the music for my metal band. and its hard for me to write for two guitars. (the other guitarist is great but is a freakin idiot when it comes to actually knowing his instrument / didnt know what action was or what pickups did or what is a good amp) and iv been thinking that it would be easier just to have one guitar due to how technical our music is. But in short Do you need two guitars to sound heavy? thanks!

FAIL! I've been playing guitar for about 5 months and come on... I know this! (Well I'm not sure what action is... Isn't it just how high or low the strings are?) pickups affect sound... Single PUps are more bluesy

Humbuckers are for metal

Line 6 Spyder 3 amps and Peavey Vyper amps are the ones I see most for metal
Quote by pinguinpanic
I'd say defiantly go for it, if you want to play quite technical music, it's really nice to have 2 guitars that can support each other, do harmonies. And you just said he was a great guitarist, so why not?

I don't see why you're mentioning his not knowing what action is, not every guitarist is a DIY dude. Actually MOST guitarist aren't the DIY yourself style, and just bring their guitars to a guitar store and have everything done. Inability to get a good tone, might be annoying though, but if that's really a problem just tell him and play around with the knobs yourself.

He also mentioned that the other guitarist doesn't know crap when it comes to his guitar and dont' know what pickups do. Fail on his part. That's just... terrible. Just TERRIBLE! He should do more research.
Quote by Hail
SOAD, Pantera, Veil Of Maya, Rage Against The Machine, Muse, tons of other big bands all did their thing with 1 guitar live as far as I remember.

True. I just got finished watching Beyond the Lighted Stage when I posted that though, so Rush was the first band to come to mind.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
check out some stuff by bands with one guitar like rush, pantera, stp, sublime, creed, soad etc. check out rush, pantera and sublime especially if you want to have alot of solos. you could try some things that mark tremonti does like fingerpicking verses and ocatving, he doesn't take alot of solos with creed except for their newer stuff so i dont know that will really help.