Ok so My amp is 120 watts, I want to knock it down a bit because its so dam loud. Is it true if I take out a few tubes it will lower the wattage? I was thinking of taking 2/4 out, what will that make it sound like? Will there be dangers involved in this?
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
yes its true taking out tubes will lower wattage, but that wont change the volume much. its doubtful you'll even notice a difference on a 120 watter.

your best bet for volume is to use the master/channel volume and some sort of pedal combination (volume, drive, compressor, etc) to get a better sound. i dont know what you're after so i cant offer much more advice than that
since the volume knob is hard to use have you thought about taking out all the tubes?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
since the volume knob is hard to use have you thought about taking out all the tubes?

I'd listen to that guy....I'd even take a look at his sig...
Get a volume pedal.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Couldn't you use a pedal or something that has a volume control (like a clean boost) and run it set low (or off) between the preamp and poweramp?
Well I don't want to loose the punch that the amp gives when running hot.
Hot plate would be my only option then?
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by Sheepbane
Well I don't want to loose the punch that the amp gives when running hot.
Hot plate would be my only option then?

ATTENUATOR!!
Use the volume knob, like AM said.

An attenuator won't really do anything for you - there is no way in hell one would make a 120W amp sound like a 1W amp anyway. They're moreso for slight volume adjustments, most usable on stage to get levels right, etc.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
so an attenuator wont let me runmy amp hotter at lower volumes?
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by Sheepbane
so an attenuator wont let me runmy amp hotter at lower volumes?

It will, but the more you turn it down, the more it will sound like you're just turning the master volume down, so it will affect the tone. Attenuators are more for use at clubs where you want the tone of your amp at 7, but at the level of 6. You can't get the sound of a 120 watt amp cranked at bedroom levels. You just can't.

Just turn down the master volume, dude.
it doesn't sound as hot because it isn't as loud.

why not do this quick experiment. grab your stereo...

play your favorite song really loud.

then play it really soft.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I have a 120w tube half-stack in my room...I can have it as at a whisper, Pretty sure if you can't manage the master and channel volume, you're doing something wrong.

the "Punch" is when it's turned up louder, You don't need your tube amp cranked to get a good punchy sound.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Yes you cab pull two tubes, usually the inside two, you'll need to rebias aswell.

It won't change volume substantially, but should help rid rid of that big Blume jump right around 1 on the master volume.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I've been reading about running 100W amps with one tube. Not planning on doing it myself but it's interesting. It'd take forever for me to dig it up, but I found a youtube video of a guy running some marshall with 1 power tube.

All I'm going to say about attenuators, is that I feel like most people are probably familiar with the Hot Plate. Without writing a huge rant, lol @ the Hot Plate 16dB attenuation.
Quote by conor-figgy
ATTENUATOR!!

Oh god, read the thread.

Also, the Hot Plate really sucks, especially considering what they charge for them.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Sheepbane
Ok so My amp is 120 watts, I want to knock it down a bit because its so dam loud. Is it true if I take out a few tubes it will lower the wattage? I was thinking of taking 2/4 out, what will that make it sound like? Will there be dangers involved in this?

Depends on the amp... with the 5150/6505 head you can take out the inner two or outer two power tubes to lower it to ~60 watts.

--==** This will mess with your speaker impedance setting! **==--

You must set it to half of whatever your normal setting is. If you have a 16 ohm cab, you must put the selector to 8 ohms on the amp.

As far as the sound? Doesn't seem to make one damn bit of difference.
Last edited by samhell at Apr 18, 2011,