Okay, so yeah. Title says it all. Is there any specific thing that you guys don't like about using guitar pedals? On stage, in bedroom, etc. It popped into my head today, and I wondered what the Pit thought about said subject. Have at it.
The fact that you can't move around stage if you're going to be stomping on the pedals alot throughout a song.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I hate the fact that I cant change them with my brain.
you're a stone fox
1. their high cost vs. low versatility
2. their constant need of batteries
3. the constant issue of buzzing from power adapters
4. having to have a bunch of small guitar cables to connect them
5. their low focus on mutli-functionality

Screw single pedals, multi effects got this shit covered.

the more pedals you use the more tone i feel you lose, plus its a hassle having all those wires and ac adapters.

i only use a wah, but mostly i just play straight out of my amp
simple and cuts to the chase
Such a small cost production, such a high retail price. The turnaround of making and selling pedals is almost criminal.

By the way, this is one of the more intelligibly discussionable threads I've seen in the pit in a long time. Good show, TS.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 18, 2011,
My neighbor is kind of precise about the noise i make. That includes the clicking noise when I tap the pedal.

Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by JustRooster
Such a small cost production, such a high retail price. The turnaround of making and selling pedals is almost criminal.

This. But that's not really a function.

I hate pedals that have a different switching mechanism besides the normal stomp switch. I have a Fulltone Deja Vibe II and it's always turning on by itself.

I dislike that it affects my tone, especially vintage pedals with horrible bypasses. But I don't have the money to get an individual bypass pedal for each of my pedals that aren't true bypass.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Those are usually a jack of all trades and a master of none.
Now I will address all of your points.
1. The pedal may only do one effect, but good ones can get several different tones.
2. Isolated Power Supply.
3. Isolated Power Supply.
4. Pedalboard. Hook 'em up then all you have to do is hook one cable in the input of the first, and one in the output of the last.
5. Again, they focus on making one effect that sounds great rather than one that does everything, but sounds average at best.

Just Rooster: You don't just pay for the parts. You pay for the design, the layout, the time spent working on it, etc.

the more pedals you use the more tone i feel you lose

That's not true. A good buffer is better for your tone than true bypass. It prevents the tone suck over long distances. Good Buffer > True Bypass > Bad Buffer
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Apr 18, 2011,
i really only need a big muff and a wah and i'm good to go on pedals. they're not a big issue for me.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I really only use 4 pedals. A reverb I occasionally use depending on the room. My modified Boss DS-1 (without it I would be stuck only playing cleans as I don't like the distortion on Line 6 Spider III), Boss BD-2 (I always leave this on at all times just a tiny bit of gain to give me cleans some character), and my Crybaby. I may someday get a flanger but this pretty much works well for me, but I plan on getting a new amp before I get any more pedals...with that said I have moved to other instruments I like more than guitar recently...
Quote by JustRooster

By the way, this is one of the more intelligibly discussionable threads I've seen in the pit in a long time. Good show, TS.

+1 to the kudos and to the complaint about the cost. I guarantee you that Boss made at least $70 profit on my $80 chorus pedal.

1. Not being able to move with wahs. With most pedals, while most onstage stuff is spur-of-the-moment, I can be bothered to choreograph so that I'm walking by the board when I need to turn something on or off. But I want to be able use my wah pedal, and I hate when people just stand there, singing instrumentalists tied to micstands, drummers, and keyboardists excluded.

2. No lights on wahs. Again with my gripes with wah pedals, why do so few have power lights? I can't tell you how many times I think I turn off my wah, pull back the pedal so I can hit the switch to turn it back on later, and suddenly what's supposed to be a big, full clean sound in an interlude turns into a wah pushed all the way back.

3. Lack of what I want. I'm very particular, and I know what I want. What I want though is very uncommon or expensive, especially when it comes to fuzz pedals.

4. Boutique cost. The guy does a good business, he's a good guy, and he makes great pedals, but I guarantee you Michael Fuller is making a big profit at $160 for an OCD. This relates back to #1, and I know it's a smaller operation and he needs the cash, but it places some awesome stuff out of my pricerange.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
So would onboard effects be, i don't know, desirable? Would the functionality overrule the fact that it wouldn't be strictly analog, vintage, etc. As in, like something that would connect to the pedal, then use like a remote control or something to turn on/off from your guitar. I just thought that the reason foot pedals are good is that you can play, and switch without having to worry about stopping to adjust with your hands. Got me?
I have two pedals, a distortion stompbox and a volume pedal/wah. So its not that big a deal for me. Stay standing around the pedals when I need em, otherwise, just jump around and stuff. Most of the stuff I play doesn't require me to be near the pedals.
--- You know I can't have your ghost chips ---
Quote by darkwolf291
Those are usually a jack of all trades and a master of none.
Now I will address all of your points.
1. The pedal may only do one effect, but good ones can get several different tones.
2. Isolated Power Supply.
3. Isolated Power Supply.
4. Pedalboard. Hook 'em up then all you have to do is hook one cable in the input of the first, and one in the output of the last.
5. Again, they focus on making one effect that sounds great rather than one that does everything, but sounds average at best.

Just Rooster: You don't just pay for the parts. You pay for the design, the layout, the time spent working on it, etc.

1. This is true for only very few pedals. the Dunlop 535Q is my personal favorite wah pedal for the very reason that it gives you opportunities to shape your sound more. The problem is, the 535Q is twice as expensive as the standard Dunlop wah. There is absolutely no reason for this, if we look at the schematics for the 535Q and the standard, even my basic knowledge of electronics tells me that the main difference between these two pedals is nothing more than a small amplification circuit and 6 extra capacitors. So, for this slight boost in versatility and options that would cost only a few bucks in production, Dunlop feels justified in charging twice as much. No thank you.

2. + 3. So if I want my pedals to run without either sucking up batteries or having an annoying buzzing sound, I have to spend - on top of the cost of my pedals - at least an extra 150 bucks just to get them to function, plus pay even more if I happen to prefer a pedal with 7 extra parts?

4. You still need short cables to connect the pedals to each other, I meant those.

5. I think that companies are focusing more and more on giving "signature pedals" out to every Tom Dick and Harry, because those sell better than normal pedals regardless of sound, than making better tones or tweaking their existing pedal lines to be more practical (including a light on wah pedals was already mentioned, why the hell has nobody done this yet). I am also not an advocate of the "purer" tone of single pedals, because I am almost certain that even on ultimate-guitar, 90% of the people can't tell the difference between a modelled and a real pedal, especially in a live situation.

6. to the point you posted at the bottom, I'd say that with most cases like the Dunlop thing I posted earlier, you're paying for a name. You're paying for your Small Stone or your DS-1 or your Heil talk box (seriously, don't get me started on the talkbox pedals)

Now don't get me wrong, I used to be completely in love with pedals, and if I had the money I'd probably be a huge gearslut, but I've come to the conclusion that the quality/cost comparison with single pedals is just completely off of the chart, and I'm sticking to multi effects.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Apr 18, 2011,
The fact that the batteries run out even when you're not using them. Seriously, you buy batteries or a pedal, use it once or twice, and then you have to buy a new battery! ROAR
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I have a Digitech RP90, which is nice because it has loads of effects and doesn't take up as much space as a bunch of pedals would, but it lacks the usability and ease-of-switching of a pedalboard with multiple pedals.

And that's my biggest effects pedal issue.

Also as mentioned, the effects aren't as good as pedals that are made specifically for one effect.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Apr 18, 2011,
Hmmm it depends. With delay pedlas (not stomp boxes, which are awesome), i can't adjust my delay unless i somehow can make it look cool and natural. I can't adjust my distortion, which isn't really a problem because im a huge tone slut and have found the greatest possible tone from my boss mt-2. i also don't like how distortion pedals only sound good if you have the distortion cranked, and even then it's just so obviously digitally clipped and can sound really yucky if you don't know how to EQ a tone properly. lastly, the batteries. I use AC adapters for that, but having the wires hanging out the sides, they can wear down reallllly quickly by pressing on and off the pedal.

all that said, i'd rather have my pedals than not have them 100% the time.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Last edited by Acϵ♠ at Apr 18, 2011,
Quote by Burgery
The fact that the batteries run out even when you're not using them. Seriously, you buy batteries or a pedal, use it once or twice, and then you have to buy a new battery! ROAR

Unplug the cable from the input when you're not using it and it won't use the battery up.
Quote by CoreysMonster

If only I wasn't afflicted with the "analog purist" curse...

I only use two pedals through my Marshall 2203.... MXR 10 band EQ and an Ibanez TS9.
Quote by necrosis1193
+1 to the kudos and to the complaint about the cost. I guarantee you that Boss made at least $70 profit on my $80 chorus pedal.

1. Not being able to move with wahs. With most pedals, while most onstage stuff is spur-of-the-moment, I can be bothered to choreograph so that I'm walking by the board when I need to turn something on or off. But I want to be able use my wah pedal, and I hate when people just stand there, singing instrumentalists tied to micstands, drummers, and keyboardists excluded.

2. No lights on wahs. Again with my gripes with wah pedals, why do so few have power lights? I can't tell you how many times I think I turn off my wah, pull back the pedal so I can hit the switch to turn it back on later, and suddenly what's supposed to be a big, full clean sound in an interlude turns into a wah pushed all the way back.

3. Lack of what I want. I'm very particular, and I know what I want. What I want though is very uncommon or expensive, especially when it comes to fuzz pedals.

4. Boutique cost. The guy does a good business, he's a good guy, and he makes great pedals, but I guarantee you Michael Fuller is making a big profit at $160 for an OCD. This relates back to #1, and I know it's a smaller operation and he needs the cash, but it places some awesome stuff out of my pricerange.

Doode, I'm selling an ernie ball wah in the gear thread. IT HAS AN LED.
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Pretty much this.
cat
To those of you saying it's better to play through the amp directly, is like an amp distortion really that much better that a distortion you could get from a multi-effect?

/knowsabsolutelynothingabouttone
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
Quote by Guitarman015
To those of you saying it's better to play through the amp directly, is like an amp distortion really that much better that a distortion you could get from a multi-effect?

if it's a tube amp, then hellfuckingyes. it doesn't even have to be tubes, a great solid state will sound amazing too. but nothing tops the au naturale delicious tone of tube amps.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Guitarman015

Tube amp distortion has more even-order harmonics than Solid State distortion. Solid State distortion has more odd-order harmonics. Even-order Harmonics are more pleasing to the human ear than odd-order.
And most Stopboxes, like, say, the Barber Dirty Bomb, The Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret, and even the Metal Muff sound better than most digital multi-effects distortion. The exception being things like the Line 6 Vetta, the Axe FX and similar High-quality multi-effects/modelers.
I hate when wah pedals don't spring back closed. It's hard to get a natural wah sound when you have to push it forward then push backward.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by darkwolf291
Unplug the cable from the input when you're not using it and it won't use the battery up.

Was about to post that >_>
Strength Of The Inferno, Mind Of The Heavens, Speed Of The Tempest, Thus, a miracle was born.
http://www.last.fm/user/RobertELeet
Jackson Warrior
Ibanez Artcore AG85
Squire Affinity J-Bass

VIKINGS

UG Black
Quote by LastSlayerKing
Doode, I'm selling an ernie ball wah in the gear thread. IT HAS AN LED.

If I didn't love my 535Q tonally, I'd consider it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by darkwolf291
Tube amp distortion has more even-order harmonics than Solid State distortion. Solid State distortion has more odd-order harmonics. Even-order Harmonics are more pleasing to the human ear than odd-order.
And most Stopboxes, like, say, the Barber Dirty Bomb, The Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret, and even the Metal Muff sound better than most digital multi-effects distortion. The exception being things like the Line 6 Vetta, the Axe FX and similar High-quality multi-effects/modelers.

Screw your even order harmonics, i use one o' these. :P

I love pedals
it beats having to go to your amp and switch the effects from there in the middle of a song
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by Metallicuh
I love pedals
it beats having to go to your amp and switch the effects from there in the middle of a song

Not to mention most amps with built in effects are completely shitty amps...

too much goddamn work

However, it depends on what sound I'm going for; If I'm playing classic rock, or stoner rock, I want a loose analog type sound. If I'm playing metal (or djent, lulz), I want a tight, focused sound. For the former, a huge string of analog pedals is just fine because it suits the sound. Metal usually doesn't need the guitarist to learn tapdancing for the songs as well as how to even play them, so I'd use something like that glorious HD500 corey posted
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by FireHawk
I don't like the distortion on Line 6 Spider III)

What you need is a new amp...

Seriously though, pedals ftw.
Some of them just have character that you can't get with multi fx.
I can make some really unique sounds with my board....that I don't think multi fx could ever achieve.

Unless they're really good....like a Line 6 M9 or something, i wouldnt use one.
Even then, i'd only use the modulation efffects.
u gyus all suk big tim, teh pedles r 4 all teh lusers taht need tehm 2 covre up they're bad guitar plsying. thye prbbly all ned a whamy bar 2 wammy, but Slash is cool snd eh doesnt need a whmmy bar or oeddals so i dont ned tehm 2.

i'm personally not much for pedals, i really just need a good delay and volume pedal, and maybe a chorus or something of that nature. though it would be cool to have a good multieffect pedal, or a good rack processor, which both solve all the problems of having individual stompboxes.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
i have three complaints: one to few pedals come with cool artwork, two no leds on most wah pedals and that i have to few of them right now
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo