Yes, a hole. See it?

It happened one day when a crossbow fell on it, and punctured it with an arrow knocking a whole in it and at the same time knocking a brace loose. And I've got no idea how to fix it myself. Help me fix it? It's an old Norma guitar made in about the 40-50's roughly. It's an old family heirloom, and I'm currently too poor to get me a new acoustic.

Yes, that's a plastic cup under the pickgaurd. It was filing in the space so it wouldn't buzz horribly.
BLANKBLANK
Last edited by Arfey McFeeshy at Apr 18, 2011,
>old acoustic from 40's-50's
>plastic cup under pickguard
>hole caused by arrow

That picture made me die a little inside. Oh, and take it to a luthier; a DIY job will likely botch it up even more.

Quote by NakedInTheRain
....that is so blues. keep it exactly like that, man.

seriously, the amount of blues that is resonating from that guitar is hurting my eyes.

Actually, it is fairly bluesy. I know one guy who accidentally shot his guitar, and it now has a bullethole in it
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Apr 18, 2011,
Quote by Banjocal

Actually, it is fairly bluesy. I know one guy who accidentally shot his guitar, and it now has a bullethole in it

That would be way cooler that some random crossbow falling on it.

I've got to get some tuners before I get some strings on it again, so it could be awhile unless I want to make it even more old-fashioned and melt coke bottle tops and wrap string around them.
BLANKBLANK
If you've damaged the bracing, it's going to get worse unless you get a luthier to try fix it up and even so, damaged bracing usually means taking the whole top off to repair it. Hopefully it can be fixed without that but I'm not sure if it can.

Why do you own a crossbow
Quote by XianXiuHong
If you've damaged the bracing, it's going to get worse unless you get a luthier to try fix it up and even so, damaged bracing usually means taking the whole top off to repair it. Hopefully it can be fixed without that but I'm not sure if it can.

Why do you own a crossbow

That's what I thought. Glue and some clamps I suppose.

I don't, my grandpa does. Everyone likes to store random junk in my room and they decided to hang that right above where I put that guitar.
BLANKBLANK
I wouldn't bother trying to replace the broken out chunk of top but the brace needs fixed and you should loosen the strings now before you cause any more damage.

To fix the brace should be pretty easy. You need to get some woodglue, I'd reccomend titebond, and thin it down, with water, just a little so that is flows but isn't watery. Then get something to inject glue with. I'd use a small medecine dropper but something like a needle that you use for injecting merinades into rosts when cooking would work to. Now you need to gently pull the loose brace up a bit. If It lifts enough to get sandpaper under it then try and sand away some of the loose old glue but if it doesn't that is ok. The reason you put extra water in your glue is to soften the old glue slightly. Now inject some glue under the brace. Push on it and lift it a few time to work the glue into the wood and then clamp the brace down. You need enough pressure to hold things together but don't use a lot of clamping pressure because that can squeeze too much glue from the joint.

Now let it dry for about 8 hrs and take the clamps off. You can test to see if there are any more loose braces by tapping on the guitar top and listeing for a rattle. If you here a rattle then there are other loose braces. If there is on rattle then your guitar should be fine, just give it a full 24hrs before you string it up again.
Not taking any online orders.
The hole is of little consequence and it's almost impossible to invisible fix one. What a repairman will do is smooth the edges of the hole so that it won't crack and let it go at that.

The brace needs to be fixed, but that's reasonably simple; luthiers have special clamps that will reach inside the the instrument.
That's one strange guitar, BTW. I would bet that the bridge is screwed on, that's what the little dot to each side of the saddle are concealing.
And that bridge... Sort of halfway between a steel-string bridge and a classic bridge.
Thanks for all of the repair tips. I'm definitely gonna try to fix it as soon as possible.

Quote by Bikewer

The brace needs to be fixed, but that's reasonably simple; luthiers have special clamps that will reach inside the the instrument.
That's one strange guitar, BTW. I would bet that the bridge is screwed on, that's what the little dot to each side of the saddle are concealing.
And that bridge... Sort of halfway between a steel-string bridge and a classic bridge.

Yeah, it's screwed on. The saddle is a rising saddle, two screws allow you to raise it and lower it.
BLANKBLANK
Obligatory "Glen Hansard's guitar has a bigger hole and it's fine and still making epic music for years" post.
Gear:
Jasmine ES33C
Hamer Sunburst Archtop Flametop
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Fender Frontman 25R
Quote by NakedInTheRain
you americans are fucking crazy.

I'm british
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
A Brit here too. Small world.

Man Shoots Guitar With Crossbow. Hmm. I'd be inclined to see a professional. Then I'd take your guitar to a luthier.

Seriously, if it's an heirloom it deserves a proper guitar repair guy to fix it. There may be some collateral damage inside. But I'm certain it can be completely restored.

Good luck!

And thanks for the smile.

(By the way - I assume it is the smaller, irregular hole near the binding we're talking about?)
You can buy all the clamps, glue etc to do the job at your local $2 shop. But I would have a look around inside first (webcam or phone/cam) just to make sure what it is your fixing. As far as the hole in the deck a sticker will cover it nicely. I would be worried of the hole scratching my strumming arm where it comes into contact with the guitar/hole

Also the glue is probably hide glue if it that old.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Apr 22, 2011,