Alright I'm new to the forums so forgive me -

Alright I'm just now starting a band (Punk/Hardcore/Post-Hardcore) and we do have some lyrics written but I was wondering how we should go about rythm and music. My singer has sorta the same rythm to all the songs so i was wondering how i can break him of this and then how do you write riffs and beats to a song?

We aren't that technical either (although one of the songs we are covering is AX7) so just give me some ideas on where to start (Im the bassist and screamer if that helps at all)
Welcome to UG! Make sure you read the rules of each forum before posting.

Although Songwriting and Lyrics insinuates that this an area for songwriting, it is actually dedicated for lyrics within songwriting only. The musical aspects should be discussed in Musician Talk or Songwriting and Lyrics Techniques, which talks about how to pace the lyrics or how to write in general.

I'll move this to Musician Talk and hopefully you'll find better answers to your questions there.
Hi CBD, it's always nice to see new members

"My singer has sorta the same rythm to all the songs"

Is he just vocals or vocals & guitar?

"how do you write riffs"

Well there are 2 methods used regularly
1. Random doodling - which is just playing anything in hopes of coming across something cool.
2. Write a chord progression first and then find out what key it is in.
When you know what Key you are in you can then use the notes from that scale to build riffs.

Obviously this was just a brief description but as you seem new to guitar/theory i wont baffle you with deeper theory.

"and beats to a song?"

Now i'm not 100% sure what you are on about here, are we still talking about guitars or drums?
welcome to the wonderful world that is ug, that being said lets get to the question.....

whats wrong with the same vocal melody all the time, it worked for the ramones

any way lets be more serious, have the drummer start with a different beat than usual, that should force the guitars and vocals to be different....

and riff writing, i think sumfx hit the nail on the head, either just noodle a bit till you find something or play some chords and use that to figure it out.

beats? pretty much just listenening to a ton of music will get you this. you will hear so many different beats all over the place, listen to punk and some classic rock and some metal and some blues and some jazz and some pop and some country and some world and some samba and some techno and some raggae and some funk and some dub step, the more you listen to the more beats you will find.

lots of musicians fail to remember that there are hundreds of types of music out there and that the more you listen to the more ideas you will get for everything, you don't need to like all of it you just need to listen. then you should try to see where there is cross over as well, like sometimes you'll hear a drum beat in a punk song then hear it again with different accets in a country song and then again in a blues song then again in a metal song. each style accentuates different beats and certian percussion pieces, and they all add certian flare in here in there, for example metal and hardcore tend to add a ton of bass drum, where blues or jazz may add more highhat. basically for beats just listen and pay attention.

I hope this helped man
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by SumFX
Hi CBD, it's always nice to see new members

"My singer has sorta the same rythm to all the songs"

Is he just vocals or vocals & guitar?

"how do you write riffs"

Well there are 2 methods used regularly
1. Random doodling - which is just playing anything in hopes of coming across something cool.
2. Write a chord progression first and then find out what key it is in.
When you know what Key you are in you can then use the notes from that scale to build riffs.

Obviously this was just a brief description but as you seem new to guitar/theory i wont baffle you with deeper theory.

"and beats to a song?"

Now i'm not 100% sure what you are on about here, are we still talking about guitars or drums?

Ya I meant how he sings the stuff, and he should be learning power chords since we've learned his voice isn't all its cracked up to be. So him and my other guitarist will be sharing clean vocals and guitar while I take bass and harsh vocals. I wanna know how I can improve the dynamics in general when it comes to the vocal rythm.

Oh and sorry this was in the wrong place
How to improve the dynamics in vocal rhythm? Err, have you tried varying the dynamics in the vocal rhythm?

PS. It's amazing that this problem hasn't been sorted out some 2-3 months after the original post.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud