Hey, I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a versatile guitar?

What I'm mainly looking for is something that can pull off things like:
Led Zeppeln, Alice Cooper (The band), AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, and maybe a bit of eighties rock/metal.

I was thinking a MIM Strat might be good or something else around $500-$800, if you guys have any other opinions?

Thanks for the help
Quote by AICfreak
avoid where wesman is...unless you like surprise anal <_<......

just jks

no srsly....avoid.

Quote by the bartender
yea I was pretty shocked the when I shot my first one, but I kinda started to like the smell of freshly killed underage girls
Used LP Studio's can be had for 500-600 dollars. One of those would be pretty right on for what you want to play.
You could probably get a used Gibson Les Paul or SG for around 800 or lower. That would be a good versatile guitar that could play Zeppelin, Alice cooper, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, deep purple, and iron maiden with.
Any guitar you pick up, really. You define the versatility, not the guitar.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Probably an HSS Strat. Especially the one with the two Texas Specials and the Pearly Gates Humbucker in the bridge.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by JustRooster

So ima pick up an acoustic guitar and get similar distorted sounds like Iron Maiden? Obviously some guitars are better suited for certain genres than others. I'm talking about the actual tone that comes from the guitar and amp, not what you are playing. It annoys me so much when people say this.

Have you tried looking into Ibanez S Series guitars? They are very versatile guitars in your price range.
Quote by JustRooster

yup, versatility is an important issue.
Quote by zincabopataurio
So ima pick up an acoustic guitar and get similar distorted sounds like Iron Maiden? Obviously some guitars are better suited for certain genres than others. I'm talking about the actual tone that comes from the guitar and amp, not what you are playing. It annoys me so much when people say this.

Have you tried looking into Ibanez S Series guitars? They are very versatile guitars in your price range.

You're an idiot. This is the electric guitar forum.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Cort make decent instruments for an affordable price, all of their instruments are pretty versatile. Most can handle metal easily, have beautiful clean tones and come equipped with a coil split. They play nicely too. The Ibanez RG321MH is a wicked instrument too, throw some sick pickups in it and you'll have everything you'd need in a guitar.
http://www.beginnerselectricguitarreviews.com/ibanez-rg321mh-review-2/
http://www.retrevo.com/s/Ibanez-RG321MH-Guitars-review-manual/id/9099ci555/t/1-2/
Quote by zincabopataurio

I`m curious, can you be a little more specific on which guitars are suited better for certain genres then others, maybe I`m doing something wrong.
Try to find an old '80s ESP. Payd 700 for my ESP the junior, which was made in the CS and believe me, there is no better guitar for 80's rock and metal.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Look in the local used market. There are killer deals to be had out there now.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by zincabopataurio

i like how you say that and then suggest a guitar that by your own logic isn't really the most suitable for the styles of music he specified - though the fact that it's a potentially good suggestion adds weight to what justrooster said... and it's pretty obvious he meant electric guitars and not acoustics.

to elaborate on it a bit more, your best bet would be to go to a guitar shop and try a load of different guitars within your price range and pick the one which works best for you - for the most part, any (electric) guitar can do what you want it to so long as you can make it do what you want it to, and there are no "right and wrong" answers.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by JustRooster
You're an idiot. This is the electric guitar forum.

Quote by sstony
I`m curious, can you be a little more specific on which guitars are suited better for certain genres then others, maybe I`m doing something wrong.

My point is, the versatility that you are referring to is what the guitar player is playing. Obviously you can play whatever you want on any guitar. What the OP is asking is what guitars are better suited for what he wants to play; what guitar can he use to get the sounds that he wants from. Chances are, you're going to get better distorted tones from a guitar with high gain pickups, for example, than a guitar with lower output pickups. If you want sparking cleans, you're not going to be buying a guitar with EMG active pickups. The warmer sound of mahogany bodies might also be better than Alder, or Basswood for certain sounds. What if someone wants a nice thick, warm sound? I doubt you'll get that from a Fender Thinline Telecaster, without having to use more effects or w/e than necessary. There are many more examples.

Really, if you want a versatile guitar, you'll have to make compromises as you can't have a guitar that can do everyone well. That's why I recommend an Ibanez S, because for what you (the OP) wants to play, you're gonna want a guitar that will sounds good with some distortion.
Quote by Blompcube
i like how you say that and then suggest a guitar that by your own logic isn't really the most suitable for the styles of music he specified - though the fact that it's a potentially good suggestion adds weight to what justrooster said... and it's pretty obvious he meant electric guitars and not acoustics.

What do you mean by that? From my experience, Ibanez S Series guitars are all very versatile guitars.
Quote by iEatBabies666
Hey, I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a versatile guitar?

What I'm mainly looking for is something that can pull off things like:
Led Zeppeln, Alice Cooper (The band), AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, and maybe a bit of eighties rock/metal.

I was thinking a MIM Strat might be good or something else around $500-$800, if you guys have any other opinions?

Thanks for the help

dude les paul studio
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Schecter C-1 series, fat Strat, JEM, theres lots of versitile guitars... get them in your hands and find what scale length, fret size, neck shape, etc that you like...
Quote by zincabopataurio
What do you mean by that? From my experience, Ibanez S Series guitars are all very versatile guitars.

i mean you're saying "some guitars are just better for certain styles than others" and then suggesting an ibanez S series, though it would seem like most of the guitarists he listens to use gibson SGs - which are equally versatile imo, but at the same time "better suited" to what he wants to play when you consider alice cooper, AC/DC and black sabbath are in the list he's posted

however, versatility is subjective i'd call a les paul junior a versatile guitar - it has just one sound that works very well for a wide range of styles. yet some people would consider versatility to be something with fancy wiring to extract a load of different sounds from a load of different pickups - i find most of these sounds to be pretty much useless for anything - coil taps? bleh. i hate them. but that's just my opinion - i'll finish this paragraph where i started - versatility is subjective.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by Blompcube
i mean you're saying "some guitars are just better for certain styles than others" and then suggesting an ibanez S series, though it would seem like most of the guitarists he listens to use gibson SGs - which are equally versatile imo, but at the same time "better suited" to what he wants to play when you consider alice cooper, AC/DC and black sabbath are in the list he's posted

Well Sgs are basically thin mahogany guitars, which is exactly what any S Series Ibanez is, except (in my opinion), they look better. I also think having the real single coil in the middle is very useful on the Ibanez, as well as a very good quality double locking trem.