I'm in the process of making a custom guitar (Les Paul) stacked with a ton of crazy colors and I really think dimarzio's colored pickup selection would accent the use of color; however, I can't seem to find any softer dimarzio humbuckers. It seems like every single one of them has an alnico v magnet and I would really prefer a II just because I am much more of a blues guy. Metal isn't my forte. I also would like to establish that I am not switching the magnets. That was suggested by a friend...too hard. Anyone know any lighter dimarzio pickups that are good for blues, but still have the color selection? They don't necessarily have to be dimarzio, but those are the only colored ones I have seen.
http://dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/

They have a good description of all their pickups and they're sorted by output.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
It really isn't difficult to replace a magnet in a typical humbucker, it's typically a slide out slide in process. However, DiMarzio uses an insulation caulking type material to keep all the parts together. Dimarzio doesn't use Alnico II's in any production humbucker. However, you want to check for their "Airbuckers" These humbuckers have a space between the magnet and the polepieces. Since the magnet isn't in contact with the polepieces, there is less magnetic pull, similar to an Alnico II
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
So the one I immediately saw was the Bluesbucker. Any reviews?

I also see it has a ceramic?? how can it be a p90 sound when it is so powerful?
Last edited by luke_guitar at Apr 18, 2011,
It's not very powerful, and it doesn't really sound like a P90, even though its a nice step in the direction.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Dimarzio uses what they cal "air technology" to get the softer tones that tend to be associated with A2 magnets. It doesn't sound like an A2 magnet but it is a step in the right direction. So anything with the word air in it might be something you want to look at.

There anniversary PAF that they sell uses a butload of extra steel to increase the inductance of the pickup for more of an A2 sound without using an A2 magnet. If you can get that in lots of colours then I'd probably go with that. Just adjust the pickups slightly further from the strings than normal, which will make your playing easier, and you should be happy.
Not taking any online orders.